REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Best value and freshness for buying fish in North Burnaby? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/713128-best-value-freshness-buying-fish-north-burnaby.html)

jlo mein 08-17-2017 11:10 AM

Best value and freshness for buying fish in North Burnaby?

I lived in Japan in the past and fell in love with the incredibly fresh seafood available. I was in a small suburb, yet even the neighborhood grocery stores had the freshest fish I've ever seen: clear eyes, radiant undamaged skin, and vibrant gills. All of it was reasonably priced, and much of it was cheaper than chicken.

Now I'm residing between Lougheed and Brentwood malls in North Burnaby. I know nothing about where to buy inexpensive fresh seafood outside of Vancouver or Steveston.

I visit H-Mart where they have a decent variety of fish and it can be a good deal if priced on weekly specials, but often the fish can be damaged or old.

Are there any small seafood shops in the area that people have experience with? Care to elaborate on the freshness and dollar value? In particular:

Regent Fish Market (Hastings, Burnaby Heights)
The Daily Catch (Commercial Dr)
Wheelhouse Seafoods (Hastings, Vancouver)

SumAznGuy 08-18-2017 11:43 AM

I'm not as into seafood as I am into produce, but I believe it's relatively similar in that there are only a few seafood suppliers in town.
As for freshness, it's all about turnover.
As for price, can't help you on that.

Raid3n 08-18-2017 06:42 PM

there is a place next to the safeway on kingsway near joyce. can't speak to the quality or price though unfortunately.

hchang 08-18-2017 07:48 PM

Not to derail thread I don't doubt seafood is fresh and good in Asia but what are your guys's thoughts on consuming them given the Japan nuclear leak a few years ago.

I know that our fish are probably in the same boat (no pun intended) and some seafood products might even be shipped from Asia.

Going back to Asia in the fall friend who moved there for work says seafood there is a bar above North American cuisine.

Raid3n 08-20-2017 08:50 PM

everything in this world is going to kill you, may as well enjoy yourself on the way out :fullofwin:

heisenberg 08-21-2017 12:27 AM

market crossing has a small store called FISH or ( fresh ideas start here) they supply most of the higher end restaurants in vancouver. you probably live near one called "pear tree" and many more. they get some of the best fish in town i believe, but is kinda far. they have a location in KITS too if youre in that area

jinxcrusader 08-23-2017 08:27 AM

FISH/Fresh Ideas Start Here is probably the one you're looking for. Daily Catch on Commercial Drive too. Expect to pay premium for freshness though. Not even sashimi grade I believe.