REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   space and tools? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/713219-space-tools.html)

w_tech 08-29-2017 09:23 AM

space and tools?

Hi,

I wonder if anybody knows of a good space in Vancouver to work on my jalopy. I live in an apartment and I'm pretty sure my strata wouldn't be too happy about me doing work in the parking garage.

Also tools - anybody knows of a tool rental place? In the States one can get specialized tools on deposit from Autozone and Pep Boys - anything like that here? - I'd rather not buy $100+ tool I'll use (hopefully) once.

Thanks!

fliptuner 08-29-2017 09:31 AM

Canadian tire loans out tools for free.

UnknownJinX 08-29-2017 11:44 AM

CT used to actually have garages where you can work on your own car. Not anymore.

Did you actually ask your strata management? It sounds like you are just assuming.

And yes, CT loans a lot of tools for free now, but I am not sure if jack stands and floor jacks are available. Look for some tool places around you and call them to see if they have those for rent.

w_tech 08-29-2017 12:35 PM

Thanks for the hint on the Canadian Tire loan-a-tool!- exactly what I was looking for.

Regarding the strata - I'm 99% sure - they even recently banned kids from drawing with chalk on walkways in the common areas not to mention that they fined me for having windscreen wiper bottle 'illegaly stored' in my lot. I'll get the copy of the bylaws though and check - but I would appreciate any hints on places I could use/rent 'short term'

Thanks again!

BIC_BAWS 08-29-2017 01:16 PM

I can't tell if that CT loan-a-tool thing is sarcasm or not LOL. I mean alternatively, you could always buy smt from costco, and return it. Tho if the CT thing is legit, I probably didnt have to buy a polisher then.. and I can get a paint measuring tool..

w_tech 08-29-2017 02:36 PM

Hey,
No the CT thing looks legit:
Loan-A-Tool | Canadian Tire
Not tremendous choice but I think they have what I need.

fliptuner 08-29-2017 02:44 PM

You can also make a request here:

https://www.revscene.net/forums/7007...se-thread.html

StanleyR 08-29-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 8858818)

Did you actually ask your strata management? It sounds like you are just assuming.

+1

I live dt near Stanley park where I rent two spots. Despite the rental agreement stating that I cannot work on my cars and motorcycle, I do so regularly. I do oil changes, ATF changes, replace wipers, tire rotations, wash the car out back etc. Heck, just recently I had the drivers door opened twice to replace a faulty door lock actuator. The landlord saw me, but didnt' say anything. It's kinda nice to be able to work on the car in a well lit area that's secure and out of the elements.

I think the key is to make sure you clean up after yourself and do not disturb anyone else in the parkade.

I also think the key is to establish a good relationship with the landlord. Once you prove yourself to be a quiet, respectful and courteous person, nobody will bother you.
Actually, on two separate instances two different neighbors brought me new, unopened oil for my car since they saw I regularly do maintenance in the garage. The one was moving away and the other just bought a new car (one that didn't leak/burn oil like his old one did).

w_tech 08-29-2017 08:22 PM

Checked bylaws - definitely verboten in my strata - and I'd definitely get fined here.

So if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear...

Cillu 08-29-2017 10:18 PM

See if you have any friends or family that wouldn't mind renting out their garage to you. Chances are someone is just using their garage as storage and wouldn't mind the extra income coming from you.