REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #26
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Its a good thing I always have it on my windshield mount when I get into my car, unless Im in a hurry, then it stays in my pocket.

Then if I get any msg or whatever.. "Ok Google" and then tell it to do whatever I need.. read my msg, reply, email, etc... never have to touch my phone...

I believe, its ok to have to screen of the on, as long as its not playing any video of some sort...

I just wanted to confirm with other people if window mounted is ok or not... Was having thankgiving dinner and my relatives where all bitching about it cant be visible anywhere in the car...
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

honestly I think these distracted driving laws are getting more and more out of hand. It started off as an awareness

I personally believe now its gotten to a point where its exaggerated. It may be bias but I think many people who drive here are already not alert while on the road, resulting to fatal crashes or crashes in general. News was spreading a while back that eating or smoking or changing radio stations or touch your infotainment system is no longer allowed which doesn't make any sense. Do we need to ban all activities as distracted driving unless we are just solely driving? Like not even listening to radio because that could also be a distraction from driving.

This province is just dumbing down everyone to a point where people can no longer do anything other than driving, then does that lower the alertness level? I would be so bored I could sleep if I can't do anything while stuck in traffic, not even a cigarette. And on top of this the city is already full of people who are not fully alert to begin with; the sense of urgency, now you're just making lazy slow people into even more slower people perse.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

days before they implemented this law, i went through a roadblock once with my phone in the passenger seat. I had just answered the phone so the screen was still on.. (hands-free, of course) officer saw it right away and I was asked to keep my phone NOT within arms reach. I told her it was connected with the vehicle and i answered it hands free. She said it didnt matter and that I should keep it either in the glove compartment or somewhere away from me. I wanted to keep questions but i was afraid they were going to get me to pull over for asking too much so i just went on my way..
Old 10-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #29
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Whenever I read articles about distracted driving, the comments are always full of high and mighty, never do wrong, self-righteous assholes. "Ticket them more", "Impound their car", "I wish they would allow us to send pictures in of people on their phones".

I remember how proud the province/police was to advertise a while back how many tickets they handed out and how much money people were penalized as a result. In between basking in the smell of their own farts, the aforementioned assholes ate it up like the sheep they are.

You know what I'd love to see? The actual explanations behind all those tickets and their justifications from the officers perspective. Imagine if the majority of the tickets were completely ridiculous like plugging your phone into the charger at a red light, leaving your phone in the cup holder, or whatever else was deemed harmless back when our parents and their parents drove. The public would riot. I wish there was somewhere I could go to challenge the court, the superintendent of MV, whomever - give me the facts. I want to know. I have no problem being wrong and eating my own words but empty figures with no context is not how the police should be serving the public. This should be a standard the public is owed and deserve when we allow law enforcement more and more powers.

That whole distracted driving initiative launched last month, it just stinks of overzealous law enforcement looking to nitpick anything and everything possibly remotely, minuscule as it may, related to distracted driving. Yea, it hammered the point across, but I suspect it was built on a foundation of horse shit.
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #30
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
Having a "potential" to break the law is not breaking the law...

The scenario you mentioned is only if you are in the driver seat, and the offence occurred because you had "care and control" of a motor vehicle while impaired. That is what is written in law.

If you had the keys, but were sleeping in the backseat, you did not have care and control. No offence committed.
Pretty sure that's still care and control. Back seat, front seat... if you're intoxicated and in the vehicle with the vehicle's keys, that's care and control.

Play the law and put your ignition key in the engine bay. just have the fob on you and sleep in the back.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:

The scenario you mentioned is only if you are in the driver seat, and the offence occurred because you had "care and control" of a motor vehicle while impaired. That is what is written in law.

If you had the keys, but were sleeping in the backseat, you did not have care and control. No offence committed.
I agree with you, but police officers do not. You sleep in the backseat with the keys, you blow over, you will get charged with DUI.

Same shit with handheld electronics. It's bullshit, but it is what it is.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
What if I throw the keys in the trunk. Not accessible unless I physically leave the vehicle as the seats don't fold down.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #33

Everyday I'm hearing over the radio these ads for distracted driving and its mainly like "distracted driving cause more accidents than intoxicated driving" its really driving me insane. It's like the city all of a sudden didn't want to focus on any other crime other than distracted driving based on some sort of trend initiative IMO. They keep handing out these tickets thinking they achieved some sort of large scale bust or some police milestone basking in their pride but seriously these guys getting tickets may have a 1/100,000,000 chance of crashing fatally or non fatally. It's like handing out tickets is now the benchmark for achievement.

Now there's sting operations focused just on distracted driving instead of policing out in areas which need them. Oak and 70th, Marine drive, all large intersections, and operations involving riding in buses or hiding in bushes; these all cost taxpayers money while you sit your ass waiting for that sorry motherfucker that decides to pick up the phone while bored in traffic. Then they post all their stats out getting these sorry silly fuckers saying they did an amazing job. Yes, you can argue that you created a deterrent but how much of a chance are you deterring among the infinite factors and the money spent on the officers to camp out. Seriously is this what the main focus is now? While there is an fentanyl and drug overdose issue?

I don't even read the news anymore but a simple search already pulled very worrying titles: Vancouver's supervised injection site struggles with the rise of fentanyl
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #34

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
It's not so much that the officers in their charger vehicles that pulls you over. It's the ones on the bikes that creeps up behind you. I've seen so many in the summer who would drive into the other side of the street (lane going opposite direction), just to sneak up on drivers with open windows.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Distracted driving can come in so many forms. While I agree people shouldn't be touching their phones while driving, throwing a black and white rule is BS.

People can also be too focused talking to their passenger can get distracted. So are they eventually going to forbid talking in the car too?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #36
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i save all my distracted driving while waiting in line for gas at costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
It's not so much that the officers in their charger vehicles that pulls you over. It's the ones on the bikes that creeps up behind you. I've seen so many in the summer who would drive into the other side of the street (lane going opposite direction), just to sneak up on drivers with open windows.
i've seen officers using DSLRs with super long range telephoto lens standing on overpass or some a block or two away
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
What I don't get are the filthy smokers... i mean, you got a lit cigarette that can burn you if you drop it...not to mention the filthy smokers don't like using their cars as ashtrays and prefer dumping their butts out the window.... wtf.... although over the summer there were some cases where the 'copper no stoppers' ticketed the filth when they were caught littering their filthy butts.

FINE THEM ALL....
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #38

Thanked 2,068 Times in 557 Posts
since I am in a bad mood today... I will just give my 0.02

What happens if a police officer pulls over a police officer off-duty.. I guess they are "trained" to use an electronic device while driving?

If they are, they should set up a test... just like a condition on your driver license... if you can go thru "proper training" to use a cellphone....

Honestly... hahaha just pissed off my car is too old to have android audio or apple car play... always the cheap guys gets dinged right? I mean I am sure all the new cars can do all sorts of things (including checking your emails, sending texts) thru your centre console right?

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #39
Need my Daily Fix of RS

delete

Last edited by Cr33pUh; 11-08-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Cr33pUh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #40
in the butt

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,184 Posts
be nice to the cop, and you will be fine.
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #41
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I agree with banning phones but don't agree with using it when stopped. Modern car infotainment systems are a lot more distracting these days.

FYI using your phone while waiting for gas or at the drive-thru will get you a ticket as well.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2017, 02:44 AM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
they got to be in a really terrible mood to bust you for distracted driving when you're clearly not in traffic

but if they ever stooped that low you can test your lawyer game as violations to the motor vehicle act on private property are not managed by the police

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-14-2017 at 02:50 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #43
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
I agree with banning phones but don't agree with using it when stopped.
This is a broad/vague... when your stopped at the red light, using your phone and not going when it turns green, etc... how many times you seen this and how many times it annoys you...
Old 10-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #44
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
does it suck if that happened and you're at the end of the pack and missed an activated left green light? sure
most of the time it's a 2 second difference and certainly has little bearing on safety
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #45
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
Pretty sure that's still care and control. Back seat, front seat... if you're intoxicated and in the vehicle with the vehicle's keys, that's care and control.

Play the law and put your ignition key in the engine bay. just have the fob on you and sleep in the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I agree with you, but police officers do not. You sleep in the backseat with the keys, you blow over, you will get charged with DUI.

Same shit with handheld electronics. It's bullshit, but it is what it is.
Backseat is not care and control.
That is the easiest DUI to fight ever if you were ever charged cause you were sleeping in the backseat.

Here is a good resource. With a specific section for "sleeping in vehicle"," and supporting case law.

The only times where Care and Control is mentioned is in the front seat.

And police officers agree with me, ask me how I know

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadi...re_and_Control
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #46
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:

A friend was shittered drunk downtown a couple year ago and he had his truck keys in his pocket. No intention of driving at all and was staying downtown at a friends house. He approached his truck, which was parked along Seymour Street in a metered spot, to grab some stuff out of it and then was going to proceed to the place he was staying. Decided it would be a good idea to throw up in the garden beside where he was parked. It happens when you drink too much so it is what it is. A cop saw this and approached him asking what was going on. Through conversation he discovered that his keys were in his pocket and he was within 8 feet (or something to that effect, cop was stuck on some sort of measurement of distance from the keys to the truck) and gave him a DUI using the care and control reason. He fought it and lost.

What I got from this is that tolerance from a cops point of view is absolutely zero so don't fuck around thinking that there is any leeway with something as serious as a DUI. Distracted driving is no different and cops are seeking out potential offenders to set a precedent to provoke fear in society to change the mentality of it altogether. Pretty soon you won't be able to start your vehicle until the phone is paired to a hands-free and locked out of distracting features like texting, etc.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #47
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
I'd like the opportunity to take a course that will train me in using a electronic device while driving, because all taxi drivers, truck drivers, bus drivers and city personnel have all done this. Right...

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #48
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
A friend was shittered drunk downtown a couple year ago and he had his truck keys in his pocket. No intention of driving at all and was staying downtown at a friends house. He approached his truck, which was parked along Seymour Street in a metered spot, to grab some stuff out of it and then was going to proceed to the place he was staying. Decided it would be a good idea to throw up in the garden beside where he was parked. It happens when you drink too much so it is what it is. A cop saw this and approached him asking what was going on. Through conversation he discovered that his keys were in his pocket and he was within 8 feet (or something to that effect, cop was stuck on some sort of measurement of distance from the keys to the truck) and gave him a DUI using the care and control reason. He fought it and lost.
WTF that's utter bullshit! I am not surprised to see that the cop handed out the ticket that he did. They are ridiculous and heavy-handed like that. But even the court sided with the police charge on this?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #49
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post

What I got from this is that tolerance from a cops point of view is absolutely zero so don't fuck around thinking that there is any leeway with something as serious as a DUI. Distracted driving is no different and cops are seeking out potential offenders to set a precedent to provoke fear in society to change the mentality of it altogether. Pretty soon you won't be able to start your vehicle until the phone is paired to a hands-free and locked out of distracting features like texting, etc.
I find this very very hard to believe. Either your friend is leaving out some key information, or him or his lawyer were absolutely terrible. There is case law against this and almost impossible that he lost if he fought it.
Thats why that leads me to believe theres missing information here.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #50
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Yeah that sounds like BS lol, plus your friend was shittered so his recollection of that night is probably a little hazy.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote