REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   exhaust modification difficulty? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/713584-exhaust-modification-difficulty.html)

wasabisashimi 10-19-2017 08:52 PM

exhaust modification difficulty?

Is it easy to make an aftermarket exhuast from one car fit another brand and model car? for example, how difficult is it to put HKS axleback exhaust for RX-7 to a Supra or Altezza

CCA-Dave 10-19-2017 10:50 PM

Can you weld? Probably not if you're asking the question.

The short answer: anything can be done if you have enough time and money.

The longer answer: usually it's easier and more time effective to just start from scratch, unless the cars are closely related. Modifying a VW Jetta exhaust to work on a Passat, for instance, is potentially going to be much easier than modifying that same exhaust for an Rx-7. BUT, there can be massive differences in the exhaust design even from the same manufacturer and similar models...so it's not a hard and fast rule.

You need to have both potential cars up on a lift in order to really know how close they might be.

-Dave

FWIW, I did Vibrant Performance's prototyping in the early 2000's...so I know what I'm talking about.

SSM_DC5 10-20-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCA-Dave (Post 8867638)

The longer answer: usually it's easier and more time effective to just start from scratch, unless the cars are closely related. Modifying a VW Jetta exhaust to work on a Passat, for instance, is potentially going to be much easier than modifying that same exhaust for an Rx-7. BUT, there can be massive differences in the exhaust design even from the same manufacturer and similar models...so it's not a hard and fast rule.

You need to have both potential cars up on a lift in order to really know how close they might be.

-Dave

FWIW, I did Vibrant Performance's prototyping in the early 2000's...so I know what I'm talking about.

What's your experience/opinion on vibrant's exhaust gaskets? Good chance of being able to reuse them?

wasabisashimi 10-20-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCA-Dave (Post 8867638)

-Dave

So any muffler shop or mechanic who can weld the hangers will be able to do it, if I pay for shop time ? I am assuming the pipes and where the connectors and gaskets are will need size fitting and new gaskets .

Berzerker 10-20-2017 12:49 PM

What's the point. Depending on the tunnel position and muffler location it may require the entire exhaust to be reworked. Of course it "can" be done but at the end of the day only you will decide if it's actually worth it.

What exactly are the cars your speaking of. What is the exhaust from and what's it going on?

Berz out.

GabAlmighty 10-20-2017 03:28 PM

Just go to the exhaust shop. Get him to cut your muffler off and weld/clamp in a pipe, retaining your cat and possibly resonator. Call it good. Should cost you <$100

Now you can go brap around town and sound cool while you're doing it.

wasabisashimi 10-20-2017 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 8867723)
Just go to the exhaust shop. Get him to cut your muffler off and weld/clamp in a pipe, retaining your cat and possibly resonator. Call it good. Should cost you <$100

Now you can go brap around town and sound cool while you're doing it.

my exhaust is rusted, 17 year car. want cheap way to replace, buying used. If installation is costly, then there is no point, I need to keep on looking

underscore 10-21-2017 08:20 AM

In that case you're better off buying a cheap stock spec exhaust off eBay or RockAuto that bolts up.

CCA-Dave 10-21-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 8867657)
What's your experience/opinion on vibrant's exhaust gaskets? Good chance of being able to reuse them?

Presuming we are talking about the standard metal-sandwich exhaust gaskets, nope. They are definitely not meant to be reused.

-Dave