REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Difference in Drone from aftermarket muffler between 4 and 6 cylinders? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/713650-difference-drone-aftermarket-muffler-between-4-6-cylinders.html)

CorollaXRS 11-01-2017 11:18 AM

Difference in Drone from aftermarket muffler between 4 and 6 cylinders?

Considering getting an aftermarket exhaust with a silencer on it for my MX-3 V6. Friend has the exact one on his RSX 4 banger and it does not drone, but worrying that once I put one in, it'll drone the heck out of the interior. What do you guys think?

mos_skeeto 11-01-2017 12:27 PM

Check youtube. There's usually this kinda stuff on there with the specific make of the muffler and car.

CCA-Dave 11-03-2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorollaXRS (Post 8869652)
Considering getting an aftermarket exhaust with a silencer on it for my MX-3 V6. Friend has the exact one on his RSX 4 banger and it does not drone, but worrying that once I put one in, it'll drone the heck out of the interior. What do you guys think?

Find the factory part numbers for the original equipment exhaust systems. If they are the same part numbers from the cat-back, you're not likely to have any issues. If they are different part numbers, as I suspect they will be, you will (likely) need to address your exhaust system differently.

6cyl vs 4cyl will have different harmonics, pulse widths, air volume, and sound waves. It's possible the factory designed a system that addressed both engines, and the aftermarket may have gotten lucky...it does work out on some vehicles with pipe lengths and bends...but it's not likely. YouTube is an honest good spot to start.

Indy 11-03-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCA-Dave (Post 8869993)
Find the factory part numbers for the original equipment exhaust systems. If they are the same part numbers from the cat-back, you're not likely to have any issues. If they are different part numbers, as I suspect they will be, you will (likely) need to address your exhaust system differently.

6cyl vs 4cyl will have different harmonics, pulse widths, air volume, and sound waves. It's possible the factory designed a system that addressed both engines, and the aftermarket may have gotten lucky...it does work out on some vehicles with pipe lengths and bends...but it's not likely. YouTube is an honest good spot to start.

something tells me Mazda and Honda didn't cooperate or do any platform sharing between the MX-3 and RSX lol

AzNightmare 11-03-2017 07:21 PM

How does the exact same exhaust fit on both cars that are so different? Or do you mean the exhaust is from the same brand?

CCA-Dave 11-03-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 8870012)
something tells me Mazda and Honda didn't cooperate or do any platform sharing between the MX-3 and RSX lol

Lol, wow. In my defence I posted that at 1:15am, after spending all night in the shop. Obviously didn't read it clearly enough.

CorollaXRS 11-04-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8870166)
How does the exact same exhaust fit on both cars that are so different? Or do you mean the exhaust is from the same brand?

To be more clear, his aftermarket muffler has a silencer on it and it does not drone, and I am wondering if that muffler would minimize the drone if I put the same one one on mine, despite differences in cylinders sizes (his being a 2.0 4 cylinder and mine being a 1.8 6 cylinder).

Afterthought: Or maybe if it's just worth it to put in a resonator that would minimize the drone on my current aftermarket muffler.