REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Question- Nail in one tire- told to buy three new ones? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/713913-question-nail-one-tire-told-buy-three-new-ones.html)

hamsup 12-11-2017 06:52 AM

Question- Nail in one tire- told to buy three new ones?

Hi,

I drive a 2015 Audi S3 and recently got a nail in one of my tires. It's close to the tire wall and was told it was not repairable.

I did purchase a tire warranty package through first canadian. Anyways, i am being told I might have to buy 3 new tires out of my own pocket?

Dealership says my tires are not bald... probably have about a year left of thread on them. Can they really force me to buy 3 new tires? Worse time of the year as its christmas too !!!!

Thanks for the advice.... :)

underscore 12-11-2017 07:19 AM

Is the car AWD? If it is all 4 tires have to match in size down to a very small percentage. If it's 2WD then it's best to keep the two on the same axle matching but that's it.

bcrdukes 12-11-2017 07:23 AM

I suggest getting a second opinion on this. Maybe 320icar can chime in since he deals with tires in and out. That model year should be AWD, if I'm not mistaken.

What kind of tires are on there now?

mb_ 12-11-2017 08:05 AM

It depends on how much tread is left. They can't force you to purchase 3 tires but depending on how much tread is left, it is highly recommended. I believe the S3 is Haldex AWD?

Bender Unit 12-11-2017 11:20 AM

Also read your owner's manual.
It will tell you tires requirment

For example, Subaru All Wheel Drive typically can accept tire wear within 2mm.

yray 12-13-2017 09:46 AM

I replaced my RR tire on my X3 as it had a tire bulge and it increased my tire wear on my RL to the point where it was bald. I then drove on a donut for almost a year and the diff didn't blow :lol

mind you, this was the 3rd year of my 4th year lease :lawl:

GabAlmighty 12-13-2017 09:50 AM

Don't let anybody tell you how to live your life!

jackmeister 12-13-2017 10:00 AM

orrrrrrrr you could drive around some construction sites until insurance covers the other 3 tires :ifyouknow:

Berzerker 12-13-2017 11:37 AM

I think some places offer a tire scrub or lathing procedure to get a new tire down to the tread depth of the other tires. Rather than buying 4 new just buy 1 and have it "worn" down to the rest.

Berz out.

fliptuner 12-13-2017 12:09 PM

If the difference is within spec, just make sure you put the worn ones on the front.

kross9 12-16-2017 07:06 AM

the other possibility is working in the parts industry for automotive and dealing with tires all day to.

Is that the manufactures for what ever reason they like to pull and phase out tires models with no fucks given, and update that to what ever new one they want. it'll have the same name and same treads but different compound or comes from a different plant, you name it. but it'll have a different cost for the dealer and different SKU.

So if it was a dealer, they probably quoted you 4 new tires just to keep them all the same. So if an issue occurs in the future.

Hope this sheds some light, could be a completely different reason but I know that one reason why we do 4 when its just 1 needed!

donk. 12-18-2017 04:26 PM

rofl, treating tires like rocket science

/out

320icar 12-18-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donk. (Post 8878578)
rofl, treating tires like rocket science

/out

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...87/356/d6f.jpg

hchang 12-18-2017 05:20 PM

They can't force you to buy three new tires. Is your warranty factory or third party (like a dealership)

Unless you're changing the type of tire (like going into all seasons, snow etc) it doesn't matter.

I would however if I was you, replace to at a time to service one axle (preferably fronts because of steering)

Keep the one they take off as a spare.

If they won't do it unless you purchase 3 more, buy tires elsewhere for cheaper and get them to install. Or go to another dealership if your warranty is factory. Or like mentioned above take a nail gun and drill holes in the wall on the remaining three lol