REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Where can i park safely for 72hrs over the border? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714412-where-can-i-park-safely-72hrs-over-border.html)

Cccid 03-06-2018 01:47 PM

Where can i park safely for 72hrs over the border?

I’m planning to importing a car from Seattle, and since there is this rule where you have to submit the car’s information to the US officials 72 hrs prior of departing. (which happens after u have the car’s title)...

So i m thinking after i acquire the car’s ownership and submit the information, take the drive back to the border, <Park it somewhere safe?> , then wait 3 days , and go back down pick up the car over the border (instead of seattle) and finish off the rest of the importing procedures.

but the question is, where can i safely park the car , that is relatively close to the border on US soil, for 72 hrs?

thanks in advance :)

FN-2199 03-06-2018 01:59 PM

I've left my car around the Bellingham Airport area at a near by park & fly service for one week periods for relatively cheap ($5/day a few years ago). Search it up and you'll find a ton of places that offer this, however, if your car is uninsured, that may be a problem..

hud 91gt 03-06-2018 01:59 PM

My friend parked it at a storage facility. You are uninsured remember.

If within a few hours, I’d try and keep it where it is currently parked with the current owner.

fliptuner 03-06-2018 02:25 PM

I believe there are several storage lots, just on the other side of the border, that cater to vehicles awaiting export clearance. I'd do a search and maybe give uhaul a ring.

Also find out how much a 1way trailer rental costs, if you're doing this by yourself.

Remember, it's 72 weekday hours, so it could take 4-6 days. I used a broker to handle my paperwork and it cost about $150, fyi.

SkunkWorks 03-06-2018 02:27 PM

I've parked mine at Yorky's on two seperate occasions. $5 bucks a day.

Hakkaboy 03-06-2018 04:13 PM

Are you buying it privately or from a dealership?

When I bought my pre-owned car from a US dealer, I emailed the border with all the relevant info even before I bought the car. All I did was put a deposit on CC and the dealer scanned/sent me what I needed.

That way i didn't even have to wait for the 72 hours.

Heck, I even bought my temporary ICBC insurance so that I could drive it up before I even bought the car

Cccid 03-06-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakkaboy (Post 8892026)
Are you buying it privately or from a dealership?

When I bought my pre-owned car from a US dealer, I emailed the border with all the relevant info even before I bought the car. All I did was put a deposit on CC and the dealer scanned/sent me what I needed.

That way i didn't even have to wait for the 72 hours.

Heck, I even bought my temporary ICBC insurance so that I could drive it up before I even bought the car

Yeah, i’m buying it privately.. so its kinda tricky to organize with the seller that way..

ilovebacon 03-06-2018 07:16 PM

A blonde walks into a bank in New York City and asks for the loan officer. She says she's going to Europe on business for two weeks and needs to borrow $5,000. The bank officer says the bank will need some kind of security for the loan, so the blonde hands over the keys to a new Rolls Royce. The car is parked on the street in front of the bank; she has the title, and everything checks out. The bank agrees to accept the car as collateral for the loan. The bank's president and its officers all enjoy a good laugh at the blonde for using a $250,000 Rolls as collateral against a $5,000 loan. An employee of the bank then drives the Rolls into the bank's underground garage and parks it there. Two weeks later, the blonde returns and repays the $5,000 and the interest, which comes to $15.41. The loan officer says, "Miss, we are very happy to have had your business, and this transaction has worked out very nicely; but we are a little puzzled. We checked you out and found that you are a multimillionaire. What puzzles us is - why would you bother to borrow $5,000?" The blond replies....."Where else in New York City can I park my car for two weeks for only $15.41 and expect it to be there when I return?"

bcrdukes 03-06-2018 08:40 PM

Since you are uninsured, try these guys out - https://www.urbanstorage.com/self-st...e/a-z-storage/

I used them to store my motorcycle and car there once while waiting the 72 hour requirement. Stored indoors, great service, and reasonable price. Call them in advance to get a quote on price since it is for short term storage. Their website does not list pricing for short term storage.

I did use Yorky's before the they store the car outside. I didn't really like that, until I found A-Z Storage. If the car is in Seattle, an option is to just leave it with the owner and head there to pick it up when ready and cleared.

nah 03-06-2018 09:46 PM

The Chevron in Blaine (formerly Texaco) can be used for car parking for $5/day.

!LittleDragon 03-06-2018 10:13 PM

When I imported my old car, I had the owner fax me a copy of the title. Submitted everything before I even went to pick up the car. That was 14 years ago, not sure if things have changed.

Hakkaboy 03-07-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cccid (Post 8892028)
Yeah, i’m buying it privately.. so its kinda tricky to organize with the seller that way..

See if the seller will scan/email you the title. That might work. And since he's not sending you an official hard copy, it's not like you can use it illegally or anything..i think

bcrdukes 03-07-2018 11:41 AM

A scan or copy of the title will suffice. That's how you submit it to CBP to then start the 72 hour cooling period. When you see them in person, you need the real hard copy.