REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Multiple vehicles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714566-multiple-vehicles.html)

oldsnail 04-06-2018 03:45 PM

currently have

Fk8 Type R
Ep3 Sir
09 MDX

and i have a work car.

just me and my wife with 2 small kids.

i will probably get rid of the Ep3 soon

donk. 04-06-2018 03:52 PM

My parents are buying a new place, and when they ask me if I like the house they are looking at; I ask them how many cars can I fit in the backyard or if the garage is a dual wide double door.

Mancini 04-06-2018 03:54 PM

"The wife".
The car.
The toilet.
She's not an inanimate object.

Not surprisingly this ended with her on the street.

TouringTeg 04-06-2018 04:54 PM

Have 3 cars at my single family home so no parking issues. Two car tandem garage and often rent out the 2nd spot for $150 a month. Have a 700sq ft garage which is rented but could fit 3 cars inside (single garage door).

Soul sucking 13 CRV for daily and road trips for wife and 2 kids. I would prefer a CX5 GT next time because it is much more fun to drive.

I also have a fully paid for company car and 01 ITR for weekend/track car. I insure it 6 to 8 months a year. Super cheap to insure cus Integra.

The last condo I had was all above ground parking. Had 2 cars and a motorcycle. 2nd car was $25 per month and motorcycle $10. What a bargain. Mind you this is Victoria.

StanleyR 04-06-2018 05:55 PM

We're at two cars and a bike. Considering my spouse and I have no kids and no plans of ever being able to afford anything in Vancouver (and we sure as hell aren't moving back to the prairies), we've accepted this life of renting a dt apt near Stanley Park.

We've justified the additional $80 per month for the additional indoor parking spot for the e30 325is and the SV650S as my monthly "toy box" cost. We have an IS350 that we use for groceries and odd trips, but when we go further we often rent cars, to avoid additional maintenance on the Lexus (mostly to avoid the premium fuel!).

honestly OP, I can see the value of your Mazda going up in values as it ages. It wasn't long ago that e30 M3 prices were around 15k+. Nobody thought they'd appreciate to the stratospheric levels they did but, they did! if you really want to keep it, then make the sacrifice to pay the money to keep it. Either get a garage spot somewhere or simply keep it at home.

Aside from that get a reliable, soul sucking cheap econo box for you daily needs and be happy that you pocketbook and family are safe :)

Gh0stRider 04-06-2018 06:06 PM

2 cars for myself, still living at home lol

i got a driveway and street parking.

originalhypa 04-06-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowfarmer (Post 8896861)
. My daughter just turned 16 so here comes car #6 :okay:

Haha, oh man I'm 5 months away from a 16 year old. She's been driving my Rzr for years, but she is a bit of a space cadet at times, so I worry.

On a side note, what car are you thinking for the daughter?

dared3vil0 04-06-2018 06:54 PM

Daily: 2018 F150 Lariat
Summer: 2007 Mustang GT

Where I live we get feet of snow 6 months of the year so the car is uninsured, but in the summer I drive both.

Adorkami 04-06-2018 08:23 PM

When i lived in a condo only had 1 parking spot and had to park 2 cars out on the street, it sucked. Vehicles broken in to, tires slashed, damage to my front bumper, when i did move my cars parked outside it was always a bitch to find new parking.

fliptuner 04-06-2018 09:17 PM

Currently have 17 and live in a TH w/ a single garage and an outdoor stall.

The struggle is real.

BIC_BAWS 04-06-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8896917)

The struggle is real.

17 cars ???????!!! All insured?

Matsuda 04-06-2018 11:10 PM

fliptuner IS status105

Gh0stRider 04-06-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8896917)

The struggle is real.

17 lol. baller status

Akord 04-07-2018 01:11 AM

5 cars, almost 6. Just for myself lol. Wife doesn't drive, therefore I need multiple Hondas / Type Rs

Got them scattered all around the lower mainland, mainly at underground condo parking.
Also have parking at my warehouse.

If there's a will, there's a way. If you really love your rides, you can always make it work.

Been neglecting some of my rides

R. Mutt 04-07-2018 02:09 AM

Two cars: 17 Golf R (fiancé’s technically, but I use it as a daily) and my 06 evo 9. Condo with 1 parking spot. I melted a piston a few months back so evo is parked at the shop until the motor comes back from the US. When the car is back I’ll likely just rent another space in the building. I’d never park either car on the street.

We had both vehicles fully insured before we bought this place and it’ll be the same once the evo is back. Since we got the golf last year I only bothered driving the evo on weekends, road trips, race events etc. My fiancé works dt so she prefers taking the skytrain rather than fight traffic and pay for parking. The golf is just so comfortable and peppy where you need it for day to day commuting. The evo is an animal but it’s only fun when you can let it out, not sitting in traffic constantly on and off the clutch going nowhere.

The R insurance is in her name. I think it’s about 2k for the year. The evo’s insurance is closer to $200/month because I don’t have full discount as I never transferred my driving record from my home country. Trying to get documents from a third world country isn’t worth the headache so I just bit the bullet and started from scratch.

I have thought about parking the evo in the winter and just putting insurance for the warmer months but I love driving it whatever the weather. Also, there’s something to be said about having your toy waiting for you. Having just bought a place and literally getting married in three weeks priories are gradually shifting from man child to adulting. We don’t plan to have children and she gets that I need my hobby/outlet. So somehow I’ve figured out a way to have two toys....for now at least.

snowfarmer 04-07-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8896903)
Haha, oh man I'm 5 months away from a 16 year old. She's been driving my Rzr for years, but she is a bit of a space cadet at times, so I worry.

On a side note, what car are you thinking for the daughter?

She's a pretty sensible kid, her only request was "please, can it carry my skis and my mountainbike." I'm looking for a Toyota Matrix XRS, hatchback with Toyota parts costs/insurance costs but comes with the 2ZZ engine that redlines at 8,500 rpm. A reasonably priced little hatchback with a pretty good engine, 4 wheel disc brakes and a 6MT.

That or a B6 Audi A4 avant but common sense will prevail.....

fliptuner 04-07-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 8896921)
17 cars ???????!!! All insured?

5 insured, plus the car trailer

GS8 04-07-2018 09:42 AM

I don't have anything to add to this thread (I just own 2 cars, one is kept off site and neglected as hell).

But the talk about condo parking reminds me of my last place. Had to rent this stall or street park which was a 10 minute walk away.

Yes, reversing in was easier. Yes, I angle parked so I could swing the RR door open to grab parcels. Yes, had to climb over to the passenger side. Yes, I would intentionally let the floor shifter rub my scrotum

:sweetjesus:

cdizzle_996 04-07-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8896977)
5 insured, plus the car trailer

Do you live on the Rez :fullofwin:

fliptuner 04-07-2018 10:56 AM

Nah, none of them are G body Cutlass's or Ford Rangers. But if I did, I'd have more parking.

And you'd be paying for it. :troll:

IMASA 04-07-2018 01:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. Suddenly I no longer feel guilty keeping my toy car.
I think I can make the parking situation work since I can always park it during the winter at my parents' house.

Fliptuner w/ 17 is definitely the winner in this thread.

G0rilla 04-07-2018 01:39 PM

I have 5 between me and my wife. I have two parking spaces in my condo, I rent another one from strata. My favorite cherished car is long term, permanently stored at in my parents garage. I park my daily beater the street or in the visitor parking if I'm lucky

Its a big bonus for those of us that either live in a detach or have access to one (parents, family, friends, etc).

Imasa dont feel guilty keeping the toy car, as long as you dont prioritize it above your family needs thats what matters imo.I would have no hesitation to sell any of my toy cars if it meant that it would provide my family with what they needed

TypeRNammer 04-07-2018 01:59 PM

Have two cars but going to cut it down to one as I can take transit to work.

With Evo car and car2go readily available in the neighborhood, I can just take one of those if needed.

dark0821 04-07-2018 04:28 PM

I need to show my wife this thread... lol damn, but I see everyone is a baller on RS... feel so peasant lololol

jing 04-07-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8896804)
Since picking up a newer DD, I have mostly been renting an additional stall from one of the residents in the unit. I was initially paying $30/month for the spot, but have slowly increased that to ~$35/month now. When I originally started looking, a greedy bastard wanted $65, citing their friends were getting as much as $80/month for their spot elsewhere. I politely told them no.

Paying $60/mo right now for my work van spot in my building. Started at $50/mo originally. It's on the other side of the parkade as the spot that I own. Just agreed to renting the spot right beside my own spot for $70/mo. Convenience played a factor in this new spot since I sometimes transport stuff between vehicles, not to mention that it's closer to the elevator lobby. Spots in my building average $60-80/mo. Now that I have both spots side by side, I can squeeze a Ruckus in the middle once I sell my E30 (currently collecting dust elsewhere). Hopefully my wife won't notice :troll: