REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Windshield Wipers making Swooshing sound (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714600-windshield-wipers-making-swooshing-sound.html)

Obsideon 04-11-2018 11:06 PM

Windshield Wipers making Swooshing sound

Just bought a new car and didn't test the wipers until today during the heavy rains.
I noticed a "swooshing" sound. Not sure how to describe exactly, but it basically sounds like as if the wiper were on while the glass is dry or maybe dirty/dusty? No noticeable stuttering though. Is it possible that the wiper blades are on too tight?

Car is brand new, would it be something the dealership applied to the window beforehand? Should I just use some product to wipe the blade and the window again?

TopsyCrett 04-11-2018 11:32 PM

Lol, Allow for break in of new wipers maybe ? rubber is still fresh, and probably some exterior protectant sprayed on windshield from factory. I experienced a similar thing when my parents got their car from the dealer. Give it a few washes first.

asian_XL 04-11-2018 11:53 PM

ask the dealer to fix it.

thumper 04-12-2018 06:57 AM

did you special order your car, or was it sitting on the lot for any extended period of time? if the latter it's possible that the wiper blades have hardened up from sitting in the elements for a long time.

rsx10 04-12-2018 07:14 AM

A couple of suggestions

See if you can compare it another vehicle such as a demo to see if it does the same thing. It might be a normal characteristics of the vehicle.

Usually wipers have a 1 year warranty replacement, so maybe on your 6 month service you can address it then if the problem presist.

The dealership wouldn't put anything on your windshield unless you paid them too. I would use a simple glass cleaner to see if that works but nothing else as they can use that to maybe void the warranty or give you a hard time about it.

mos_skeeto 04-12-2018 07:39 AM

Mine was like that new so I replaced them with some wipers I found on Amazon. Before I did that I tried to claybar my windshield which helped for like a week. My theory is there was a film of crap from the planes landing in YVR and it bunched up on the blades as I used them.

Badhobz 04-12-2018 08:05 AM

Buy a new car !

:troll::troll:

jinxcrusader 04-12-2018 08:12 AM

I agree, try run a claybar around your windshield

Eff-1 04-12-2018 09:13 AM

You could also spend $20 for new wiper inserts from the dealer to see if they are quieter.

Badhobz 04-12-2018 10:24 AM

we should only provide answers if we get free food at ebisu :fullofwin:

My dad's lexus RX had the same issue when we got. They just ended up replacing the wipers with new ones and it solved the issue. If that doesnt work, just keep hosing the windshield with water and using it (10 mins or so). The rubber will soften and hopefully your problem will be gone.

!SG 04-12-2018 01:01 PM

what kind of car? wipers usually under first year warranty, but dependent on manufacturer

white rocket 04-12-2018 02:13 PM

If the car was bought new then I would take it back to the dealer for replacement. Easier to just buy new wipers but why buy a brand new car if you can't use the dealer to repair items like these. My $0.02

Eff-1 04-12-2018 03:41 PM

This is true, but it depends on your dealership. Some may not just hand over a pair of new wipers or wiper inserts without having a tech investigate and confirming there is an issue after keeping the car for a few hours. I guess it comes down to how much of your time you are willing to give them and how expensive a new set of inserts are.

Obsideon 04-12-2018 11:27 PM

It's a Boxter, when I bought it the car was sitting in the showroom.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give it a few weeks to see if the rubber softens.
My next carwash I'll use some window cleaner.
If that doesn't work then claybar, last resort to take it back to the dealership.

Free drink if you guys in this thread come down to eat ;) ;) :5shots:

thumper 04-13-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8898011)

Free drink if you guys in this thread come down to eat ;) ;) :5shots:

open bar?!?! :fullofwin: