REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Netflix - Fastest Car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714604-netflix-fastest-car.html)

CCA-Dave 04-12-2018 01:14 PM

Netflix - Fastest Car

Haven't seen a thread about this, and at least it's automotive based. I'm curious what RevScene thinks. Full disclosure: I work on the Subaru Launch Control series, and have been involved in some Automotive TV shows from the past, so it's hard for me to watch something like this and not pick it apart for it's premise, characters, editing, shot sequences, etc. Also disclosing: A very good friend of mine was the stunt coordinator for this show, which essentially means he setup the courses and attempted to keep amateur drivers in sleeper cars from hitting amateur drivers in super cars...or vice versa. I think we can all agree that they got the definition of "sleeper car" wrong. It should have been "home built vs super car".

Feel free to rip it apart, or sing its praises. Just because I know someone who worked on it, doesn't mean I wasn't texting him negative things I thought about it!

TouringTeg 04-12-2018 01:20 PM

I watched the first few episodes last night and enjoyed it. Reminds me of Pinks. They do a good job of giving us the back stories and building up the drama.

I like how the dude was getting his haircut while others were wrenching and swapping transmissions lol

There just aren't that many car shows on Netflix so I will support it. I'll watch the rest for sure.

white rocket 04-12-2018 02:11 PM

I was excited at first but the show fell short for me. There are so many of these types of shows and they all share the same platform it seems. Cool to see Bisi with his van(that thing is hilarious) but I just skipped to the finale and after watching I felt glad it that I didn't watch every episode in between.

Cool that you and your friend work on these types of shows. I'd more interested in hearing stories from a production standpoint rather than watching the show itself. Launch Control is pretty sweet though and I'd put that show above most others.

Great68 04-12-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringTeg (Post 8897906)
Pinks Song

Oh man that brings back memories.

I met that Nate guy a couple years ago in Connecticut at a work conference, apparently post pinks he does the same thing that I do for a living. He was a bit of a dick though.

radioman 04-12-2018 02:28 PM

Like you said they got the definition of sleeper wrong here.

It felt very cliche and scripted. I'll pass and actually watching anymore on this.

I did watch the race parts of each epi and enjoyed the level of salt of some of the drivers (especially ep2 when he thought he jumped).

Spoiler!

R. Mutt 04-12-2018 03:50 PM

First automotive show on Netflix the fiance’s And I both enjoyed. She appreciated the background segments of all the racers and pretty much cried at least once for every episode minus the finale. I appreciated both the back story and automotive aspect of the show. Overall I found it was easy to digest though I could see the producers hand in picking both villains and heroes to drive the exotics. As a drag racing enthusiast I could tell they at least had people on board he knew their stuff. For instance they made it a point to never show the et or trap speed for any of the cars in the build up so you were left hanging until the actual race.

R. Mutt 04-12-2018 03:54 PM

Oh and before I forget the Detroit guy driving the “1400hp” pickup, with the temper had me cracking up. “Reppin Detroit...what!?”

:lol: what an idiot. Flaring up at the older guy in the van he was a jackass.

hal0g0dv2 04-13-2018 06:14 AM

the chrome lambo that guy was bad ass

cool show but I ended up just watching the last 5 min after the first ep

Berzerker 04-13-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 (Post 8898023)
the chrome lambo that guy was bad ass

cool show but I ended up just watching the last 5 min after the first ep

Yup I watched the first few to see the cars in play then I FWD to the end race.

Berz out.

!Aznboi128 04-13-2018 02:43 PM

I actually really liked it, and all of stories are pretty awesome.

jk6221 04-14-2018 09:45 AM

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I know there are tons of shows like this that you could find on Velocity but it was nice seeing car enthusiasts from very different walks of life.

Also, apparently a Vancouver local (a friend of mine who drives an Murcielago) was offered to be apart of the show but had to turn it down due to a scheduling conflict.

BIC_BAWS 04-15-2018 07:47 PM

Episode 7 is where I found the cars to be true sleepers: electric datsun, built rx-2 (that looks stock), and a diesel ram

320icar 04-15-2018 08:26 PM

I’ve been watching that Subaru series since it started, that’s pretty cool you’ve been working on it

!Aznboi128 04-15-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 8898398)
Episode 7 is where I found the cars to be true sleepers: electric datsun, built rx-2 (that looks stock), and a diesel ram

Worst ending tho.