REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Allegiant Air on 60 minutes (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714638-allegiant-air-60-minutes.html)

Manic! 04-17-2018 08:42 PM

Allegiant Air on 60 minutes

Pretty scary.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegia...der-the-radar/

!LittleDragon 04-17-2018 09:10 PM

Surprising... I stopped flying with them years ago and Alaska is my go to these days.

Stopped flying Allegiant because I found the seats to be too cramped, boarding is chaos and when you add up all the costs of your luggage, priority boarding, seat selection, etc... it's about the same price as some other airline. These safety issues are news to me...

twitchyzero 04-17-2018 09:24 PM

^ Alaska stops at SeaTac/pdx though

I've flown allegiant may be once or twice, not worth it

!LittleDragon 04-17-2018 09:34 PM

Alaska flies direct to Vegas from Bellingham. Anywhere else, depending on what time the flight lands, I'll drive to Seattle and hang out there for a few hours. The only time I really fly out of YVR is if I'm traveling alone.

ImportPsycho 04-17-2018 09:40 PM

I tried once and I'll never do it again.
They should not be allowed to operate with such old planes

iwantaskyline 04-17-2018 10:02 PM

Flew once in my younger days to Vegas and I experienced the shittiest landing in my life - 4 people in the plane threw up, I kid you not.

Tone Loc 04-18-2018 05:55 AM

I work in the airline industry and what people need to realize that, even for large carriers such as Air Canada and Westjet, etc., the profit margins are already pretty low. So every time a new "low-cost airline" pops up, I always wonder what they had to cut to ensure they are still making money. Sometimes it is by using older, cheaper planes, flying to smaller airports, no checked bags, no in-flight entertainment or meals, cutting on flight attendants, etc.

But oftentimes they save the most money by using these old planes and cutting down on safety and maintenance as well.

Personally, my life isn't worth saving a couple hundred bucks...

Reeyal 04-18-2018 06:05 AM

Wait a minute, you don't get what you pay for?

While in Asia, I had a flight with AirAsia. One of the worst flight experiences of my life.

GabAlmighty 04-18-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImportPsycho (Post 8898770)
I tried once and I'll never do it again.
They should not be allowed to operate with such old planes

There's nothing wrong with old planes.

twitchyzero 04-18-2018 07:12 AM

AirAsia has dumb policies but I never felt unsafe flying them

Hondaracer 04-18-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 8898804)
There's nothing wrong with old planes.

The MD80’s they are retiring have a few with notorious records seemingly. Also older Planes also obviously need more maintenance. May not be a problem for some air lines but one with a smaller infastucture like allegiant I wouldn’t be boarding them.

hud 91gt 04-18-2018 09:06 AM

Regarding old aircraft, they are replaced due to efficiency to stay competitive. Aircraft maintenance schedules are very regulated. The difference from an old aircraft and a new one are structural inspections. Every other part has a lifespan and has been replaced many times throughout the planes lifespan.

I haven’t watched the documentary but I can imagine. Cost cutting happens everywhere, even at the majors. Currently seeing a upward motion in safety at
one particular airline in Canada after seeing negative effects of cost cutting. You might not see this realization with the ultra low cost carriers until something bad really happens.

blkgsr 04-18-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reeyal (Post 8898795)

While in Asia, I had a flight with AirAsia. One of the worst flight experiences of my life.

absolutely nothing wrong with Air Asia

only problem is being a big 6"1" white guy in seats and leg room meant for tiny asian people

AzNightmare 04-18-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8898772)
Flew once in my younger days to Vegas and I experienced the shittiest landing in my life - 4 people in the plane threw up, I kid you not.

:lawl:

I remember years ago, I went with Allegiant and also experienced the worst landing ever.

The_Situation 04-19-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reeyal (Post 8898795)

What happened on your flight? I've never had a problem with AirAsia

syee 04-19-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8898895)
:lawl:

I remember years ago, I went with Allegiant and also experienced the worst landing ever.

I would think that bumpy landings have more to do with local weather conditions than the airline/pilots desire to toss your overhead luggage around.

PiuYi 04-22-2018 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 29905

hchang 04-23-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkgsr (Post 8898839)

only problem is being a big 6"1" white guy in seats and leg room meant for tiny asian people

Okay Drake

will068 04-24-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkgsr (Post 8898839)

You will hate Ryan Air then. That airline is built for even tinier europeans.