REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   fire extinguisher (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714691-fire-extinguisher.html)

twitchyzero 04-26-2018 12:43 AM

fire extinguisher

let's assume it's not for a WRC race car with full rage

anyone packing one? let's see pics! added a poll too

your mounting option? recharge at the neighbourhood fd?

Traum 04-26-2018 09:51 AM

IMO, unless it is for a race car, I don't see why you'd want a fire extinguisher in it though.

And if it is for a race car, then chances are, the rulebook will already dictate a set of minimum specs for the extinguisher. I'd just follow those guidelines there and call it a day.

SkunkWorks 04-26-2018 11:04 AM

Have one in the 911. However, I haven't looked at it ever, and it probably needs a recharge...

As for why I've one: won't be much useful in a significant fire event, but if the initial flames are small, I'd like to have the chance to keep my car.

thumper 04-26-2018 11:17 AM

i have a 2lb rolling around in my trunk.

i bought it after seeing someone pulled over on the side on hwy 1 in rush hour with what started off as as a little bit of smoke coming out of the dash vents, and then minutes later turn into a bonfire with the owner futilely throwing muddy water and dirt at it with his bare hands from the roadside ditch. i don't want to be that guy so i bought one. like skunkworks said above... i like to at least try and do something, whether it's for me or for someone else.

hud 91gt 04-26-2018 11:40 AM

Mine was rolling around he hatch in the Z. Pin fell off it and fireproofed the whole interior around a slow left hand corner. What ducking mess. Costco unit. Not sure on size but it’s pretty big. Need info on recharge.

underscore 04-26-2018 11:41 AM

2lbs is probably too small, I believe 5lbs is the minimum for TSD events. Whatever you do make sure it's secured properly but still accessible. It doesn't help much if it goes flying and hits you during the accident.

StanleyR 04-26-2018 12:30 PM

IMO, anything modded or over 20 years old should have a fire extinguisher mounted in the INTERIOR in an easy to access location.
I hear of so many noobs leaving theirs mounted or simply left in the trunk. When the fire starts, you literally have SECONDS to react.

Rubber fuel lines get old, crack and leak. Often times, these are the LAST thing ppl. think of replacing on older cars (think of all the older BMW's, Porsches etc)
So yes, I also carry one despite maintaining my cars religiously.

meme405 04-26-2018 03:52 PM

I carry a 5lb on the headache rack of my truck, and a 2lb by my driver seat.

I only need 1 per the mines act; however I like having the second one handy on the headache rack just in case.

I actually used to run a full 20lb'er beside the job box mounted in the box of the truck, but that's overkill.

I will say, last summer I had to come back through quesnel and williams lake when the fires and stuff were raging (I did so legally with a permit to travel through the closed hwy), and at one point I did end up having to use my 20lb extinguisher, and fuck was I glad I had it with me otherwise my truck would probably have been toast.

RRxtar 04-26-2018 08:05 PM

https://i.imgur.com/iSXa1vO.jpg
Easy access one on the roll cage of my jeep on a quick release mount.

A bunch of my buddies have them too. One 2lber doesn't go very far, but 3 or 4 of them will knock down a decent fire before it gets out of hand.

twitchyzero 04-26-2018 11:20 PM

so those who feel 2 lbs is too small, I guess I shouldn't even think about the aerosol cans that might be more suitable for a kitchen?

I think most cars don't have the space for a 5lbs in the cabin...I was thinking of sticking a 2lbs by the spare tire but I assume this is something you want on-hand within seconds and not be running to the back, remove the cooler and other cargo before accessing it :derp:

it's more for the peace of mind

ok insurance question: if a smoke starts coming out under the hood or you see a small fire that your extinguisher can handle, do you try and control it? Would insurance even pay out for the damaged parts? or is it smarter to just walk away and let it engulf and wait for the fire truck so you get the value of the vehicle?

thumper 04-27-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8900268)
ok insurance question: if a smoke starts coming out under the hood or you see a small fire that your extinguisher can handle, do you try and control it? Would insurance even pay out for the damaged parts? or is it smarter to just walk away and let it engulf and wait for the fire truck so you get the value of the vehicle?

at a previous job my manager had this happen to him (electrical short in the engine harness). honestly the fire dept. did more damage to his car than the fire did, which we put down with 4 5lb bottles and a garden hose before they showed up. still, it gave him enough time to get all his personal stuff out of the car because we weren't sure if the whole thing was going to burn up.

yray 04-27-2018 09:01 AM

y'all a bunch of poosies with ur danky 2/5lbs

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2e&oe=5B61B2B1

Don't bother recharging the small ones, 10lb maybe worth it but costs will probably be the same as a new one.

Also, make sure the powder is loose every year as vibrations could help solidfy the powder. Once solid, you just have a 5/10lb paperweight to chuck into the fire :troll:

if you got a rare car, better get a clean agent :ahwow:

thumper 04-27-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8900319)

Also, make sure the powder is loose every year as vibrations could help solidfy the powder. Once solid, you just have a 5/10lb paperweight to chuck into the fire :troll:

how is this done? shake it?

twitchyzero 04-27-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8900300)
at a previous job my manager had this happen to him (electrical short in the engine harness). honestly the fire dept. did more damage to his car than the fire did, which we put down with 4 5lb bottles and a garden hose before they showed up. still, it gave him enough time to get all his personal stuff out of the car because we weren't sure the whole thing was going to burn up.

right, so how did the insurance handle his case if it's not deemed a total loss? honestly I probably wouldn't want to keep it even if they can salvage it...probably gonna be tons of problems electrical or otherwise, down the road

thumper 04-27-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8900335)
right, so how did the insurance handle his case if it's not deemed a total loss? honestly I probably wouldn't want to keep it even if they can salvage it...probably gonna be tons of problems electrical or otherwise, down the road

i recall icbc wrote it off because of the amount of non-fire related damage after the fireman butchered the front end trying to get the hood open because the hood cable would not release. they used a hatchet and a powered saw on the hood and radiator support. they even smashed his windshield and roof when they flipped the hood over. the damage from the fire itself was limited to the harness/fuse box cluster and burnt firewall insulation. i remember he had to fight with icbc because they gave him a pretty low payout.

yray 04-27-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8900329)
how this done? shake it?

basically,

put your ear by the cylinder, turn it upside down and see if you hear a woosh sound. If theres a whoosh then its good.

twitchyzero 04-27-2018 01:09 PM

thumper, your post just reaffirmed that I will probably get one for the trunk, but will not invest the time and money for an in-cabin mount

if I can help other motorists or non-car related fires, great, but heaven forbid if my stock slightly older vehicle starts going up in flames, I will just walk away and let the fire fighting professionals and insurance company deal with it 100% instead of my half-measure attempts

fliptuner 04-27-2018 01:22 PM

What for? It's not like I transport gas with the vent off or in garbage bags.

:troll:

320icar 04-27-2018 01:52 PM

I have a 2lb or so extinguisher in the trunk of the RS. Mostly because there’s already a little strap back there in the trunk that fits it well. Do I need it? Probably not. But same reason I usually keep my first aid kit in the car too; it might not be me that needs it