REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Ceramic Coating opinions (Max Protect UNCR 1.5) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714762-ceramic-coating-opinions-max-protect-uncr-1-5-a.html)

mpt2006 05-09-2018 09:02 PM

Ceramic Coating opinions (Max Protect UNCR 1.5)

What are your thoughts on ceramic coatings? 2000 bucks for 3 years protection, is it worth it?

Any thoughts specifically about Max Protect UNCR 1.5? Or Ceramic pro?

hud 91gt 05-10-2018 06:33 AM

What are you coating?

mpt2006 05-10-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8902210)
What are you coating?

A White 2018 Civic Type R that I pick up on Saturday

meme405 05-10-2018 08:10 AM

it won't last 3 years. if you get a year out of it you are lucky. So no, that $2000 is better spent towards having the car detailed properly throughout the year.

Expresso 05-10-2018 08:12 AM

I would rather spend it on 4+ wash/paint correction from a reputable detailer over a three year period instead.

IMASA 05-10-2018 08:21 AM

I'd spend maybe 1k on a front end PPF and the rest on buying a polishing machine, detailing supplies and learn how to detail the car yourself.

oldsnail 05-10-2018 08:55 AM

We had 2 x CTR that did it @ irep for ceramic coating on the island.. it was less money than 2k and they said it was lifetime warranty ..

I went the 3m wrap for my CW CTR instead

white rocket 05-10-2018 08:59 AM

That seems a bit high. I would contact Project Detail and go that route. $1,000 or so for the full meal deal and your set for a couple years or so. It will protect and make cleaning a whole lot easier. Best detailing money I ever spent was with him. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else after seeing the result of his work. He's busy though and books weeks in advance.

VR6GTI 05-10-2018 09:52 AM

^ i saw on his instagram that you got yours done and i was wondering how it went. Thinking of getting him todo mine but also might DIY it

white rocket 05-10-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6GTI (Post 8902252)
^ i saw on his instagram that you got yours done and i was wondering how it went. Thinking of getting him todo mine but also might DIY it

All lot of money but well worth it IMO. Everything came out spot on. He even removed each wheel and coated each one entirely. Interior is flawless, paint is ridiculously smooth and dirt just hoses off now.

mpt2006 05-10-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8902232)
I'd spend maybe 1k on a front end PPF and the rest on buying a polishing machine, detailing supplies and learn how to detail the car yourself.

I can’t find an Xpel, Stek, or Protex dealer than is less than 2K for a front end wrap.

oldsnail 05-10-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpt2006 (Post 8902267)
I can’t find an Xpel, Stek, or Protex dealer than is less than 2K for a front end wrap.

When i got a quote from PROTEX it was under 2k for sure for the full front clip. they did xpel..

i think you need to call around.. i did 3M for the full front clip and some sides.. it was less than 2k all done and said .. XPEL and 3M seems to be the better ones.. i would probably stay away from others

Funnel 05-10-2018 01:25 PM

My boss just used 3M ppf to wrap the whole car yesterday, it looks really nice. I asked about front end and the installer gave me a quote on the front end which is less than $2k 3M also comes with 8 years warranty. Feel free to pm me for more detail.

Harvey Specter 05-10-2018 01:50 PM

No one really uses 3M because in the past they had issues with yellowing and it's not the easiest PPF to remove.

The best PPF's right now are Xpel or SunTek. I've read a lot of positive reviews about SunTek because supposedly SunTek has less orange peel more gloss compared to Xpel but downside is it's not as thick as Xpel.

oldsnail 05-10-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8902301)
No one really uses 3M because in the past they had issues with yellowing and it's not the easiest PPF to remove.

The best PPF's right now are Xpel or SunTek. I've read a lot of positive reviews about SunTek because supposedly SunTek has less orange peel more gloss compared to Xpel but downside is it's not as thick as Xpel.

i think it is debatable.

i honestly think it is more how the shops wrap the product vs the actual product. i visited many shops before i decided. and i chose the shop that seemed to be most passionate about the wraps

mpt2006 05-10-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8902239)
That seems a bit high. I would contact Project Detail and go that route. $1,000 or so for the full meal deal and your set for a couple years or so. It will protect and make cleaning a whole lot easier. Best detailing money I ever spent was with him. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else after seeing the result of his work. He's busy though and books weeks in advance.

To get it done at Project Detail would be 1200 plus tax including wheels but does not include plastic or glass. My quote for UNCR 1.5 was 1800 plus tax and includes all plastic and glass surfaces as well. So not that much different considering Cquartz vs UNCR

mpt2006 05-10-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Xpel Ultimate plus is now released in the last month. They’ve supposedly eliminated the orange peel and is much glossier than before

supafamous 05-10-2018 09:12 PM

Brentwood Auto Spa can do a Tenzo (another ceramic coating) for about $750. CQuartz is the most popular product right now and can be done for around $1K.

All this stuff works and can save you a lot of time if you're into your car looking sharp.

meme405 05-11-2018 10:03 AM

If you are going to go ahead with it, I will vouch for Brendan at Project Detail as well.

He did the coating on my wheels, and did a good job. On wheels it obviously doesn't last nearly as long as on paint due to the abuse wheels take (especially with my very dusty BBK), and the heat situation.

Brendan himself was easy to schedule with, and delivered exactly what he promised.

Simplex123 05-12-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Congrats on the CTR man!

After some research that's the exact reason why I didn't go for 3M. I recently went to this small shop in Richmond for my parents' 2018 Atlas through a friend's friend. They did a really good job and their price was quite a bit lower than some of the quotes I got. They do a lot of highway so they actually got a PPF and a ceramic pro coating on top for the whole car. The cuts by these guys are extremely precise so you can't even tell that you have a film on the car unless you're looking hard.

They don't have a website yet since they're a newer shop I guess but they were really easy to deal with through email. I'll PM you their contact