REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,710 Posts
CX-5 Lease Question

Hoping someone with better lease knowledge can answer a quick question for me here.

Our Mazda 3 lease is up next month, so we're looking to move over to a CX5. We were at the dealership last night to take advantage of a manufacture event. I'm looking to see if what I negotiated is legitimate or if we're getting fleeced.

For a 2018 CX5 AWD GS (With sunroof) with our loyalty discount, and $0 down, we were quoted @ $240 bi-weekly, added free weather mats, etc. Lease is for 36 months, 20KM per year.

Is this a fair ballpark, or should I push any further?
Advertisement
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I just run a quick quote from Mazda.ca, the payment is around $261 bi-weekly. So there is approx $1500 discount given.

I am not sure what's the loyalty discount is, from the dealer or manufacturer? so I didn't put into calculation.

It also depends on the condition of your lease return (Mazda 3), if it's in good condition the dealer might have some equity from your previous lease used toward the new lease.
Funnel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #3

They indicated an additional 1% interest rate discount for loyalty, we received $400 back towards servicing/oil changes.

You might be right on the Mazda 3, in terms of the equity. It was a 2015 kept in great condition, with 44K KM. So maybe that's where some of the discounting is coming from.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Is there any equity built into that?

240 bi weekly sounds cheap? 18k car.
i think the GS's are going for around 30k?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #5

Maybe? I haven't gotten the raw figures, but it sounds as though the price is pretty fair, Funnel is offering me some good advise as well via PM, this forum is always useful.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Is there any equity built into that?

240 bi weekly sounds cheap? 18k car.
i think the GS's are going for around 30k?
it's a lease, so there will be another $18k at the end of 3 years lease.
Funnel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnel View Post
Makes sense.

I'm looking at leasing a car as well - will PM you now that you revealed you are SMRT

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Whats the residual??

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
Whats the residual??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnel View Post

Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Don't ever... let me repeat... EVER focus on the payment numbers. There are many ways to work around it and it's not relevant when it comes to whether you got a good deal. In your case, they put it into a bi-weekly payment making you feel it's cheap.

I've had my experiences leasing and there is only one thing that matters:

Total obligation, which is derived by 4 components:
Final price (before tax) - the lower the better
Term - this is subjective, but it doesn't make sense to do a 60mth lease, usually go for 36
Interest rate - the lower, the better
Residual value - the higher, the better

Get those 4 items and then you can easily calculate the payment or more precisely, your actual obligation to have the car for x-amount of time. In your case, I calculated 26(payments per year)*3=18720.

Not sure all of the options and rate, but a quick check on 2018 CX5 GS AWD shows 31500MSRP, which means a residual of just over 40%; horribly low for 3yrs.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
percentage

it could be 18k out of 45k 50k 18k

also website is calculations are always off

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #12

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I'm in the leasing business (sub-prime) and this is easily the best info given. Focusing on the payment basically allows the salesman/business office to run wild with the other factors(credit dependent). People get sucked into long terms by only focusing on the payment and fail to realize the total obligation they signed up for. I will add that you should make sure that the residual value at lease end is not guaranteed, meaning that any shortfall from the sale of said unit would be the customers responsibility. That's not the norm as most manufacturers only focus on over mileage and physical damage or excessive wear/tear so that should be your only obligation at lease end. But always good to clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Don't ever... let me repeat... EVER focus on the payment numbers. There are many ways to work around it and it's not relevant when it comes to whether you got a good deal. In your case, they put it into a bi-weekly payment making you feel it's cheap.

I've had my experiences leasing and there is only one thing that matters:

Total obligation, which is derived by 4 components:
Final price (before tax) - the lower the better
Term - this is subjective, but it doesn't make sense to do a 60mth lease, usually go for 36
Interest rate - the lower, the better
Residual value - the higher, the better

Get those 4 items and then you can easily calculate the payment or more precisely, your actual obligation to have the car for x-amount of time. In your case, I calculated 26(payments per year)*3=18720.

Not sure all of the options and rate, but a quick check on 2018 CX5 GS AWD shows 31500MSRP, which means a residual of just over 40%; horribly low for 3yrs.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote