REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/mobile-phone-tablet-chat_52/)
-   -   automated spam calls from varying numbers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714802-automated-spam-calls-varying-numbers.html)

twitchyzero 05-17-2018 09:38 AM

automated spam calls from varying numbers

last 2 days I've been getting spammed 10-15 calls a day from a local number and a Toronto number

just a fax tone when I pick up, when I call back no one picks up

local number displays a local business on caller ID but google search shows that business has no association with this number

Toronto caller ID doesn't yield any google hits

I tried the block this caller on iPhone
I suppose I could call Koodo to block the two numbers but I feel it's computer generated and i'll just get spammed from other digits

dapperfied 05-17-2018 09:40 AM

This thread is a spam.

smoothie. 05-17-2018 10:05 AM

Ni Hao ____________________________

lol

twitchyzero 05-17-2018 10:17 AM

no seriously it's worse than diamond parking collections spamming LUL

UnknownJinX 05-17-2018 10:26 AM

I posted these before in the CRA scam thread:

Quote:

Got a scam call when I was driving yesterday, picked up, heard the recording, and hung up right away.

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but there is a scam targeting Chinese folks that will have a recording that says you have a package, say the package is stuck at the custom or something, and will try to get you to pay money and ask you to not contact anyone.

Too bad I didn't have my roommate with me, who knows how to say "F**k your mom, you stupid c**t" in Mandarin. I mean, I can say it, but the magic is just not there. It would have been hilarious if he was there.
Quote:

From what I have read, those guys were pretty prepared, too. In some cases, they reconnected to "a police office in Beijing", with legit phone numbers and the scammer will even tell you their "badge number."

The worst thing is that some people went "missing", only to be found later because the scammers said that they should go into hiding and not contact anyone.

Now I actually want them to call again with my roommate with me. Missed trolling opportunity right there.

Traum 05-17-2018 10:42 AM

I am not at all trying to be racist, but a sad reality -- at least the ones I see -- is that the majority of these spam calls are coming from Mandarin-speaking, simplified Chinese character writing sources.

On average, I am "only" getting around 1 call / voice mail / text message a day, so it is nothing compared to what the OP is seeing.

jinxcrusader 05-17-2018 02:26 PM

I've recieved about 6 voicemails over the past week from an automated chinese response.

twitchyzero 05-17-2018 03:03 PM

mine's a simple fax tone...no message

plexia electron, epik demo (416 number), blocked number, plexia medical

someone must really hate me to sign me up to this garbage

keifun 05-17-2018 03:12 PM

I got a few these past two days too.

1-647-697-2612
1-647-697-2609
1-800-931-1026

I've blocked them all. Hopefully it stops. Super annoying.

BIC_BAWS 06-05-2020 04:33 PM

Someone is using my number to call other people. I suppose it's the scam call spoofing. How do I get this to stop?

Edit: So I called Fido, and they said there's nothing I can do but to change my number. They didn't believe me that I wasn't receiving spam calls, but it was that people was using my number to display on caller ID.

I can't change numbers either since this is the phone number for two of my businesses.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

hchang 06-08-2020 07:16 AM

Funny how when India was on lockdown, the CRA stopped threatening me with legal action.