REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Selling car to US buyer (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714884-selling-car-us-buyer.html)

Phatmobile 06-05-2018 04:42 PM

Selling car to US buyer

long story short, someone from the state offer to buy my car on Thursday, said he is a car dealer and picking up a few cars from auction. Offer to paid cash in USD.

I've never sell a car to US buyer, what do I need to look out for other than money being fake.

Thanks in advance

nsx042003 06-05-2018 04:47 PM

if they are coming up and giving you cash, just make sure cash is real and that's it, just don't ever sign the car over without money on hand, even if they say they'll promise you it later

Edison_Chen 06-05-2018 06:34 PM

Make sure to hold onto all BOS and apv9t if you do one too. chances are the US dealer will not register the vehicle here..

Phatmobile 06-05-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen (Post 8905682)
Make sure to hold onto all BOS and apv9t if you do one too. chances are the US dealer will not register the vehicle here..

you are right, this is what he mention in the e-mail : " I don't need to transfer anything. You keep the top half of the regi and we fill out a tax transfer form and you keep a copy and we do a bill of sale. "

gilly 06-05-2018 07:40 PM

It easy. Get the cash payment and fill out and sign a bill of sale. If the car is still insured, go to your insurance together and uninsure the car to give back the plates. My US buyer thought she could drive the car down with my BC plates lol. She then bought temp insurance and drove it across the border. Never had a call back from them so I guess it went okay. lol.

fliptuner 06-05-2018 07:44 PM

Most of the times I've dealt with US buyers, they fail to realize there's an international border between us and a process to export/import.

If they come up here, pay cash and you have proof that you sold it, I say fuck it. Take the money and run.

TouringTeg 06-05-2018 07:47 PM

Had a US buyer come and purchase my 993.

Buyer paid a deposit by wire transfer and the rest by draft. I spoke to the buyer's bank on the phone while he purchased the draft.

I took my plates off and they purchased a temporary permit to drive it to the US border. Buyer requires a bill of sale and the ICBC registration slip. We did an ICBC transfer form as well just in case. It is really just a bill of sale.

In my case USA customs called me to confirm I sold the car and to ask me the sale price. No issues.

Phatmobile 06-06-2018 04:48 AM

thanks for the reply guys.

Gh0st 06-06-2018 09:45 AM

I sold my car to a US buyer.

Met them at oakridge mall, told them to have their currency in CAD prior to the meet and that we'd verify and deposit the cash at the RBC. There is an insurance corp by the food court. You can do either or first.

Teller confirmed the cash was the correct amount, deposited to my account, and i told them i was selling a car because the amount was over 10k.