REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Ripped my bumper in parking lot (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715006-ripped-my-bumper-parking-lot.html)

Messerschmitt 06-29-2018 05:44 PM

Ripped my bumper in parking lot

So I miss judged the distance and I ripped off side of my bumper and headlight (insert pole came out of nowhere joke here). I'm going to say this is at least a few thousand $$$ so I'm planning to go through ICBC since I have collision with $300 deductible.

Other than paying the deductible, anyone knows if this will appear on an abstract? Or are those only for tickets? I assume it's going to appear on the insurance history if I ever move out of province and I need it correct?

Hondaracer 06-29-2018 05:59 PM

Your insurance is going to go up accordingly.

It’s almost never worth it to use your deducibtble to pay for repairs unless there’s just no other way to pay for it

bcrdukes 06-29-2018 06:33 PM

A few thousand? What kind of car is this?

Badhobz 06-29-2018 06:44 PM

PICS or it didnt happen!

Messerschmitt 06-29-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8909104)

It’s almost never worth it to use your deducibtble to pay for repairs unless there’s just no other way to pay for it

I'm full discount, and using the insurance is still going to keep me above level 10, so -43%. Fortunately this is not ON where 1 claim in 15 years can quadruple the premiums. Not sure how the comprehensive/collision are affected.

Luckily it seems I'm still under the old CRS

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8909105)
A few thousand? What kind of car is this?

It's a regular average joe 2016 car, only 30k km and I know the bumpers themselves run into 1k for a new one with labour. Then there's the headlight, the side are off centered so with today's cost of the modern cars I estimate 2-3k easily.

My general question was if this claim would be under collision and if it would go up if this happened in a parking lot, but I guess it would make sense that it would since I'm still at fault (even though nobody else was involved). And what an abstract includes if one actually has knowledge with it (rather than stating his opinion without knowing the facts)

fliptuner 06-29-2018 08:45 PM

Collision, yes.

Insurance increase, yes

Show up when some does a vehicle history search, yes

Traum 06-29-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8909104)

Agree with this. At least go get a quote from the body shop first to see exactly how much it's gonna cost before you decide.

vitaminG 06-29-2018 09:19 PM

One advantage of having 3rd party optional insurance is if you have a comprehensive claim you can claim it and then switch back to icbc and not have it affect your rates with them. It's almost like having one free comprehensive claim

Messerschmitt 06-29-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8909126)
One advantage of having 3rd party optional insurance is if you have a comprehensive claim you can claim it and then switch back to icbc and not have it affect your rates with them. It's almost like having one free comprehensive claim

Yea, but in my case I believe it's under collision. Comprehensive wouldn't increase rates. And I don't have 3rd party since they were more expensive by quite a bit and ICBC was cheaper even with 15 years of no claims

fliptuner 06-30-2018 10:13 AM

If you have optional coverage through ICBC, it'll go up.

And yes, you do have 3rd party liability - it's mandatory.

yray 06-30-2018 10:16 AM

used lights and bumper?

Hondaracer 06-30-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8909126)

is this how it actually works?

vitaminG 06-30-2018 11:25 AM

^ well that's what the guy at Belair direct said, can't think of a reason why he'd mislead me...

Hopefully someone who knows better can confirm or deny. If I'm not mistaken any claim you make with 3rd party won't affect your icbc rates. So that would include at fault collision

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messerschmitt (Post 8909134)
Yea, but in my case I believe it's under collision. Comprehensive wouldn't increase rates. And I don't have 3rd party since they were more expensive by quite a bit and ICBC was cheaper even with 15 years of no claims

Sorry I meant 3rd party collision coverage.