REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Fiat Canada deathwatch (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715165-fiat-canada-deathwatch.html)

Badhobz 08-06-2018 09:55 AM

Fiat Canada deathwatch

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20.../#more-1635722

Only 49 Fiat's moved in the month of July. Holy crap!! They must be trying to give these damn things away.

!Aznboi128 08-06-2018 11:49 AM

that is not a lot of cars lol

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/new...?id=20134&mid=
50% less than last year but good news is they sold twice as many Fiat 500L as they did last year. From 1 to 2

15 less than June
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/new...?id=20018&mid=

ssjGoku69 08-06-2018 12:50 PM

lol "We’d show you a pie chart of how the Fiat brand fits into FCA’s volume, but there’s no nano-knife sharp enough to carve off a slice that thin"

tegra7 08-06-2018 02:58 PM

Fiat is looking to go with 100% electric vehicles in North America.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/driving....e-ev-brand/amp

Badhobz 08-06-2018 03:17 PM

Would you guys ever buy one ?

I personally think the fiata looks better than the Miata. The front clip looks good.
That turbo engine can't be thattt bad

Wife always wanted a 500 Gucci edition but it's just too small. Same goes with the fiata, otherwise I'd add more italians to my little collection.

Can anyone who has ever owned a fiat chime in? Are they that seriously unreliable? If it's BMW level of unreliability I can totally live with it.

Jmac 08-06-2018 04:07 PM

Italian styling + Japanese drivetrain would've been a winner.

Mazda is coming out with a more powerful drivetrain for the Miata next model year.

FCA routinely ranks last or close to last in Consumer Reports reliability surveys and Lemon-Aid.

Does this include leases? I see quite a few 500s around.

bcrdukes 08-06-2018 05:18 PM

I had a rental and it was just awful. I returned it for another car within 20 minutes.

GS8 08-06-2018 05:38 PM

Sergio Marchionne recently died. RIP. Would be a shame if FCA followed suit. They make utter shit but still.

I mean I'm watching this new RAM commercial with the VFX bull kneeling in submission to the truck and the voiceover says 'The King'

To which I reply with 'of recalls'

bcrdukes 08-06-2018 05:47 PM

Also consider their lease and finance rates. That shit is highway robbery.

320icar 08-06-2018 08:17 PM

When I was looking at buying my first new car in 2013, I test drove the 500 abarth and loved it. With the white exterior, red graphics, beats audio and leather, it was ~29,000. I test drove the 2014 ST and it was $32,000. An extra 3k for twice the car. Absolute no brainer and if that’s the way the company has continued, they deserve to fail here in canada

mos_skeeto 08-06-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8913886)
Can anyone who has ever owned a fiat chime in? Are they that seriously unreliable? If it's BMW level of unreliability I can totally live with it.

Own one and talked to a lot of owners. Powertrain/engine is solid. The pain points are in the cheap plastic and bits around the car. If you're aware of what they are they're super fun, have lots of charm and the turbocharged 1.4 is very easy to modify.

Alpine 08-07-2018 01:31 AM

I have a 2013 abarth and live across the street from fiat vancouver. They havent been bringing in new fiats for what seems like a few years now so the sales # dont surprise me the entire showroom and lot is basically full of alfa romeos now. My fiat has been more reliable and has had fewer recalls yhan my friends 2017 honda civic touring if ur looking for a comparison...

Add: im convinced that fiat was designed to fail. My car stickered at $36k and leasing was not available, only options were cash or finance. If abarths were mid 20ks and could be leased for 400 a month our roads would be full of them... who in their right mind would buy one for $32-36k finance/cash only when you can get a st/wrx/gti/frs/brz/etc for way less. Hell even the top trim regular 500 stickered at $30k...

Badhobz 08-07-2018 05:55 AM

Sadly since nobody is buying them new, it's hard to find them used. Im going to see if I can fit my 6'2 ass in that fiata.

!Aznboi128 08-07-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8913955)
Sadly since nobody is buying them new, it's hard to find them used. Im going to see if I can fit my 6'2 ass in that fiata.

you'll be tight very tight

bcrdukes 08-07-2018 08:06 AM

I think the Fiat 500 would have fared well in an urban car share program, like Car2Go and the like. The interior is small, but the engine and transmission suit short urban travel distances. They are certainly better than the typical Smart car used around Vancouver, that's for sure.

To Alpine's point, sadly, Fiat's commercial model did not work and likely used it as a segway to re-introduce Alfa Romeo back to North America. I, too, at one point, was interested in an Abarth, but after test driving it and comparing it to it's Japanese and European competitors, the asking price made no sense whatsoever. And if you ever had passengers in a Fiat 500, well, you better hope they are small and/or flexible. It's a painful experience, that's for sure. Perhaps better suited if you are a young couple paired with a dog or a young child. Beyond that, forget about giving your grandmother a ride because she may need surgery afterwards.

320icar 08-07-2018 08:53 AM

My buddy has a first year 500 abarth. Tracked it many timea, 99% stock. He’s said he’s never had any issues, and everyone he knows is the same way. He had a flat tire once and it doesn’t have a spare. That’s about it

pastarocket 08-07-2018 09:56 AM

FIAT = Fix It Again Tony :lawl:

Traum 08-07-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8913886)
Would you guys ever buy one ?

I personally think the fiata looks better than the Miata. The front clip looks good.
That turbo engine can't be thattt bad

Wife always wanted a 500 Gucci edition but it's just too small. Same goes with the fiata, otherwise I'd add more italians to my little collection.

As far as I know, everything on the 124 Spider -- except for the engine and syling -- is done by Mazda. So from a reliability point of view, you only have to worry about the Abarth engine. And judging by what I've read from forums and stuff, the engine is relatively and sufficiently reliable.

EvoSpider 08-07-2018 11:09 PM

There are more vintage 124s on craigslist than the current gen :lawl: