REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   BC Municipal Elections -- Oct 20, 2018 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715322-bc-municipal-elections-oct-20-2018-a.html)

ncrx 09-24-2018 01:33 PM

i'd vote for someone who has the following three policies for Vancouver

1. municipal govt out of the business of making affordable housing in the most expensive real estate in the lower mainland. stop using my tax dollars for this garbage, the provincial govt should be building this trash in abbotsford and past.

2. get rid of the dumbass policy of not allowing basement suites and counting basement sq ft for fsr. you will instantly have a huge supply of affordable rental suites without some crazy ass expensive condo tower that is ready 3-5yrs down the road.

3. get rid of the green policy bullshit, im in the middle of building my house and building to vancouver code is stupid expensive and it will never pay back in 'energy savings' what a crock

Traum 09-24-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncrx (Post 8920554)
2. get rid of the dumbass policy of not allowing basement suites and counting basement sq ft for fsr. you will instantly have a huge supply of affordable rental suites without some crazy ass expensive condo tower that is ready 3-5yrs down the road.

I always thought basement / secondary suites are allowed, as long as it meets the troublesome (CoV) municipal requirements. And then there is the stupid waits and delays with City staff, as well as the tediously long permit approval process.

ncrx 09-24-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8920556)
I always thought basement / secondary suites are allowed, as long as it meets the troublesome (CoV) municipal requirements. And then there is the stupid waits and delays with City staff, as well as the tediously long permit approval process.

1. if you try the above and your house is old, you basically can't meet that without tearing apart half your house, which leads to another can of worms and upgrading it which makes it kind of pointless to do, ie all the sprinklers fire separation bla bla.. it is no longer a cheap and easy conversion to rental unless lucky. it is literally easier to run your house over with a bull dozer depending on age of house than it is to convert.

2. if you build a basement now in vancouver with a new build, it counts as fsr. meaning you can't have a full unfinished basement to convert into a rental without sacrificing your own sq footage legally, unless you have a godly 3500+ sq ft to throw around which i dont.

The rules are written in such a way it doesnt make anything easy or inexpensive or quick.

Traum 09-24-2018 02:20 PM

I should add that just because it is illegal doesn't mean it has ever stopped CoV residents from renting out their basements LOL~ It then becomes a matter of how friendly you are with your neighbours, and how much of a dick they are to determine whether they'll rat you out and complain to the City about your "illegal suite".

Judging by the amount of parked cars on numerous residential streets, I'd say most people don't give a damn. The City itself doesn't really care either, and it doesn't actively police the legality of basement suites en masse since:

a) it lacks the resources to do so, and
b) it'll piss a gob ton of people off who depend on the existence of these suites

Mr.HappySilp 09-24-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8920560)
I should add that just because it is illegal doesn't mean it has ever stopped CoV residents from renting out their basements LOL~ It then becomes a matter of how friendly you are with your neighbours, and how much of a dick they are to determine whether they'll rat you out and complain to the City about your "illegal suite".

Judging by the amount of parked cars on numerous residential streets, I'd say most people don't give a damn. The City itself doesn't really care either, and it doesn't actively police the legality of basement suites en masse since:

b) it'll piss a gob ton of people off who depend on the existence of these suites

well is a you rat on your neighbour they will rat on you lol. Pretty much 90% of people in Vancouver rents their basement out.

Hondaracer 09-24-2018 07:01 PM

There are countless illegal suites. CoV would never go after them as a whole, that would be the end. That would be far more crippling than renovictions on older low rise.

The building restrictions and guidelines for “green” and energy savings is really insane though I’ve watched quite a few houses in the neighborhood go up and shit like double insulation interior/exterior, the envelope, insulated foundation walls/pre-insulated form work for footings and walls etc.

Even for a brand new house the overhead is insane to make a profit once you’ve purchased an existing house, torn it down, and built a new house there under the current guidelines

Traum 09-25-2018 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8920602)
The building restrictions and guidelines for “green” and energy savings is really insane though I’ve watched quite a few houses in the neighborhood go up and shit like double insulation interior/exterior, the envelope, insulated foundation walls/pre-insulated form work for footings and walls etc.

Even for a brand new house the overhead is insane to make a profit once you’ve purchased an existing house, torn it down, and built a new house there under the current guidelines

That's why any newly built / recently built houses (in CoV) are still asking in the $3M+ range. The land parcel itself is already easily $1M+. Add the construction cost, and that's like another $1M in CoV. And then you add some profit for the seller, and BAM -- $3M+
:pokerface:

Mr.HappySilp 09-25-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8920602)
There are countless illegal suites. CoV would never go after them as a whole, that would be the end. That would be far more crippling than renovictions on older low rise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8920647)
That's why any newly built / recently built houses (in CoV) are still asking in the $3M+ range. The land parcel itself is already easily $1M+. Add the construction cost, and that's like another $1M in CoV. And then you add some profit for the seller, and BAM -- $3M+
:pokerface:

CoV can keep up with its tight restriction just wait till there are no profit to build new homes. You are going to see more rundown house and on one wants to rebuild and one developers will build new detach.

IMASA 10-04-2018 08:40 AM

Saw this on Reddit, the crazy lady running for mayor in Richmond

https://thebreaker.news/news/hong-guo-human-rights/

Quote:

theBreaker asked Hong Guo after the Oct. 2 all candidates meeting at Richmond Seniors Centre about her desire to foster closer ties between Richmond and China, despite international concerns over human rights abuse in China where there is no free press.

“I don’t think so, I do not agree,” Guo said. “I think China has lots of freedom of speech.”

theBreaker pointed out that journalists have been jailed in China.

“I don’t believe it,” she said. “I know so many people in China, and I have never heard about this. You have never been in China, I guess. That’s why I want to be a bridge, there is so much misunderstanding, there is lots of misunderstanding.”

Despite evidence contradicting Guo, she said “99.9%” of people will agree with her. She said major international outlets with foreign correspondents in China, such as the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, “don’t really understand Chinese policy or situation.”

“You go to China to stay there for five years and you will find it out. You are wrong. Yes. You are very much wrong,” she said.

“The Chinese media in China, they have very much freedom, to talk and to criticize and to make suggestions.”

Guo is facing severe challenges to her candidacy after a professional misconduct citation from the Law Society of B.C. and for being a defendant in a $13 million lawsuit about a collapsed real estate deal. None of the allegations has been proven and Guo denies wrongdoing.

theBreaker continued to ask Guo about her knowledge of recent human rights issues about China.

Q: “So Amnesty International is all wrong, Human Rights Watch is all wrong… they’re all wrong?”

Guo: “Yes sir, if they’re saying so, they are wrong.”

Q: “What about Liu Xiaobo, Nobel Prize winner?”

Guo: “I don’t know, OK, so I think we’re a little bit too far from…”

Q: “The Nobel Prize winner from China who eventually died, his wife got out recently, went to Germany?”

Guo: “It’s a lie. It’s not fact. Yeah, give us the fact, because we are lawyers and we need evidence, we don’t really want to talk…”

Q: “What about Ai Weiwei, the artist.

Guo: “I don’t know, I have no idea about this.”

Q: “The famous artist, co-designer of the Bird’s Nest…”

Guo: “I’m not aware of this. I’m not aware of this…

Q: “You haven’t heard of Ai Weiwei the artist?

Guo: “I have never heard about this.”

Q: “You haven’t heard of the Nobel Prize winner, the artist? Do you read any western media here in Canada, the Globe and Mail, the National Post? They do have coverage of China.”

Guo: “Yes.”

Q: “I’m asking these questions because you want to build bridges between Richmond and China…. I’m asking about your knowledge of human rights abuses of China.”

Guo: “There is no human rights abuse in China, OK.”

Q: “Do you know what’s happening right now in Xinjiang, the re-education camps?”

Guo: “What do you know, and how can you know? Did you visit that camp? Then go to visit and then see by your eyes. Because I have so many friends, business partners and relatives, they are in China, they are there every day, they know better than you, they know better than CBC, they know better than the New York Times. They do.”

Q: “Why do you think that? You told me on the phone when I interviewed you that you’re not doing work with the Chinese government …

Guo:“It’s over… I think that’s the end.”

Traum 10-04-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8922037)
Saw this on Reddit, the crazy lady running for mayor in Richmond

https://thebreaker.news/news/hong-guo-human-rights/

Now I am more convinced than ever that she has ties with the Chinese gov -- or at least some sort of Chinese officials. Everything she says is basically the party line.

quasi 10-04-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8920560)

Lol, Surrey collects taxes on illegal suites they don't care if it's legal or illegal as long as they get revenue from it. Now if you don't pay the additional taxes on your illegal suite you might have a problem. Vancouver probably isn't that different.

bcedhk 10-04-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8922038)
Now I am more convinced than ever that she has ties with the Chinese gov -- or at least some sort of Chinese officials. Everything she says is basically the party line.

Or she is just nuts. Check out her interviews on youtube or other Media. Her responses are worst than Trumps.

I hope Richmond members here will go all out to vote and make sure she won't win....

68style 10-04-2018 03:23 PM

I posted the article to her Facebook page and she blocked me lol

Mr.HappySilp 10-04-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8922064)
I posted the article to her Facebook page and she blocked me lol

I just did too just want to see what she will say =D

R1CED` 10-04-2018 04:40 PM

that's a CCP puppet if I ever saw one
i'm not a Richmond resident but how do I ENSURE she is not elected?

GS8 10-04-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R1CED` (Post 8922069)

Deportation :troll:

Traum 10-04-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R1CED` (Post 8922069)

Other than asking as many of your Richmond friends as you can to not vote for her, there isn't much you can do on an individual level.

Badhobz 10-04-2018 06:34 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/prQwrwkP/23_A8_...04_EB69992.jpg
Somebody defaced her sign in Richmond already ahahahhaah. Wife caught it today

yray 10-04-2018 06:48 PM

lol aint that city property

and why isnt it a hammer and sickle

Ch28 10-04-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8922085)
https://i.postimg.cc/prQwrwkP/23_A8_...04_EB69992.jpg
Somebody defaced her sign in Richmond already ahahahhaah. Wife caught it today while driving home

Exclusive: Richmond mayoral candidate says “there is no human rights abuse in China”

AstulzerRZD 10-04-2018 08:12 PM

Badhobz 10-04-2018 09:21 PM

Well thanks for the video. I think I got brain cancer listening to this fobby bitch.

Traum 10-05-2018 12:50 AM

Gosh... unless all municipal business is conducted in Mandarin, how can she possibly communicate with other councilors, City Hall staff, and most importantly, the Richmond general public?
FailFish

bcedhk 10-05-2018 10:17 AM

She will conduct her speeches in Chinese and have a translator on the side.

R1CED` 10-05-2018 10:42 AM

her English was fine, don't be assholes picking apart someone's accent
if you have a problem with her shady past and her morals, that's a different story