REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   TPMS sensors for Winters (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715499-tpms-sensors-winters.html)

RuffleCopterz 10-24-2018 06:55 AM

TPMS sensors for Winters

Is this absolutely recommended? Been reading mixed opinions some say not worth to pay 70 bucks per sensor and that you can drive with light on. KAL tire is saying it's mandatory for them to install, is this true? Should I find another place? Any suggestions?

Dragon-88 10-24-2018 07:01 AM

They're probably trying to make some money off you. That isn't necessary.

My 09 Corolla could only program 1 set of sensors. So it was either the summer or the winters. Every winter I just dealt with the light.

Just go somewhere else, doesn't make much sense when some cars don't even come with TPMS. So why would it be mandatory.

IMASA 10-24-2018 07:09 AM

I've been running w/o TPMS on my winters for 10+ yrs and never had a problem.

Some stores may say it's company policy, possible to make more money off of you but more likley to avoid any liabilities (eg: idiot crashes on the HWY because one of their tires was flat and tries to sue the store for negligence for not installing TPMS). If the store won't do it without the TPMS, just bring them wheels and tell them to mount the tires on.

Acura604 10-24-2018 08:46 AM

black electrical tape to cover up light on dash.. .done... u will forget u ever had tpms sensors.

!Aznboi128 10-24-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8925167)
I've been running w/o TPMS on my winters for 10+ yrs and never had a problem.

Some stores may say it's company policy, possible to make more money off of you but more likley to avoid any liabilities (eg: idiot crashes on the HWY because one of their tires was flat and tries to sue the store for negligence for not installing TPMS). If the store won't do it without the TPMS, just bring them wheels and tell them to mount the tires on.

This is basically it.

If something was to happen to you down the road, they don't want to be liable for you being a ditch cause you didn't notice your tire was flat.

bcrdukes 10-24-2018 09:15 AM

I've been running winters without TPMS for a while now. I choose to ignore the light. It bothered me at first, but I got used to it. Funny enough, it's the dealership who swaps out the tires for me, and said forget the TPMS for winters. :fuckthatshit:

320icar 10-24-2018 10:39 AM

Kal tire is bullshitting you. Absolutely not necessary.

The only time I would strongly push new tpms sensors is if you use Runflat tires. They drive very similar to normal tires even with zero pressure, so without a tpms system it can be downright dangerous to have a flat but have no idea while driving

fliptuner 10-24-2018 12:53 PM

Excellent point. ^^^

I hate rft's and don't have a newer car that came with them, stock. I've managed just fine for 25 years without them and I'm not paying to have them installed, programmed or reprogrammed after swaps.

People with flats that can't feel the difference, shouldn't be driving. This is just another reason why the gene pool is turning into a cesspool.

Hakkaboy 10-24-2018 04:08 PM

Would VSA get disabled if the TMPS (or lackof) throws an error code?

Tone Loc 10-24-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakkaboy (Post 8925238)
Would VSA get disabled if the TMPS (or lackof) throws an error code?

Depends on the car. AFAIK, a lot of Hondas have TPMS and VSA interlinked.

This meant that on my 2011 TSX, the lack of TPMS on my snowies meant that I could not disable VSA. I did not think that was a big deal until I got stuck.

The inability to disable VSA meant that the system intervened when I tried to induce wheelspin to create momentum in order to get myself unstuck. Kinda defeated the purpose of snow tires in that case.

The year after, I installed TPMS sensors on my snowies!

yray 10-24-2018 05:54 PM

some people make a TPMS bomb to get around the bullshit

PVC pipe with TPMS sensors inside compressed to satisfactory tire pressure

mb_ 10-24-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8925251)
some people make a TPMS bomb to get around the bullshit

PVC pipe with TPMS sensors inside compressed to satisfactory tire pressure

Depending on the car, it has to see sense a rolling motion or else it'll still detect a TPMS fault

teggy604 10-25-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8925218)
Excellent point. ^^^

I hate rft's and don't have a newer car that came with them, stock. I've managed just fine for 25 years without them and I'm not paying to have them installed, programmed or reprogrammed after swaps.

People with flats that can't feel the difference, shouldn't be driving. This is just another reason why the gene pool is turning into a cesspool.

I agree. Another tool for the noob driver. Although even with TPMS I am willing to bet most drivers don't regularly check their tire pressures anyways.

MG1 10-25-2018 09:56 AM

If you get tires mounted on rims at Costco, they reset the TPMS free of charge. My Outlander can hold two codes, but the little EV can’t. So every time I do a changeover, they will reset the TPMS for free as part of the changeover service. That’s what I was told. It looks like a 30 second job. Correct me if I’m wrong.

320i, I sent you pm a few days ago.

320icar 10-25-2018 01:38 PM

^^ sorry bud, read it and forgot. If your steel wheels have conical lug seats (not acorn) then you can use the oem mag style lug nuts. Just look at your steel spare tire, it runs conical lug seats and is meant to be used with your oem lug nuts.

Just check out the bottom. Mag style lug nut with conical tapered bottom

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...241/s-l225.jpg

AzNightmare 10-25-2018 03:29 PM

lol... TPMS. I make it a habit to check my tire pressure once a month.

I sold my oem wheels so now I don't have TPMS on my summer or winter wheels. Been driving like this for 3 years.

Electrical tape :thumbsup:

https://i.imgur.com/jD6EYCD.jpg

(Looks like I need to fill up gas soon.)

MG1 10-26-2018 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8925393)
^^ sorry bud, read it and forgot. If your steel wheels have conical lug seats (not acorn) then you can use the oem mag style lug nuts. Just look at your steel spare tire, it runs conical lug seats and is meant to be used with your oem lug nuts.

Just check out the bottom. Mag style lug nut with conical tapered bottom

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...241/s-l225.jpg

I wonder why, then, the guys at Costco tire shop said not to use the OEM mag style lug nuts, which is conical. I'll double check the steelies just to make sure. You never know. I had to argue with the same guys regarding the OEM lug nuts and my winter steelies for the Ridgeline. Those steelies were from Honda and had the ball type seat - not your typical aftermarket steel rims that have conical seats. I use the same lug nuts for both sets of tires and rims on the Ridgeline.

Not much help from the dealership, lol.

320icar 10-26-2018 07:46 AM

Sadly it’s people sticking to training. The books say nothing about combination lug nuts like photo above. my staff does the same thing as the other location did. I try to teach people to be perceptive and solve problems objectively but it doesn’t really work

RuffleCopterz 10-28-2018 09:24 PM

Can anyone recommend a place other than Kal? Does Costco require sensors? I like the warranty and guarantees that they offer (life time flat tire fix, etc), anywhere else like this?