REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Tony Harris running for MLA Nanaimo (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715555-tony-harris-running-mla-nanaimo.html)

Manic! 11-07-2018 10:13 AM

Tony Harris running for MLA Nanaimo

This is fkn huge!

https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...ff&oe=5C727900

If you have ever been to Nanaimo or live in Nanaimo you know the Harris name. They own a number of car dealerships and cellphone stores. For decades they had a giant Tom Harris sign on the highway. The NDP are going have to fight really hard to keep the seat.

Traum 11-07-2018 10:45 AM

I am not at all a dyed-in-orange NDP supporter in any way, but I can't understand how the Libs can inflict so much harm and damage to our province, and yet they still continue to pose a real and credible threat to get back into a governing position...

BC voters... wtf are you thinking... FailFish

yray 11-07-2018 02:26 PM

because NDP is the same shit, just different color

Liquid_o2 11-07-2018 02:31 PM

Odd that they used a picture from Whistler as a campaign photo...

Traum 11-07-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8927463)
because NDP is the same shit, just different color

I'm not saying you're wrong, but given the stuff that the NDP has done so far, I'd still say the Libs are far worse at this point. And the NDP has actually done some good stuff, like trying to fix ICBC, cracking down on international level money laundering, and cooling the RE market.

The best the Libs can say about themselves was they kept the economy going, and everyone had jobs. But what's the point of having a job when it is only turning people into the working poor that can barely afford to rent, much less buying a home?

68style 11-07-2018 02:53 PM

Cooling the real estate market, that's rich................ values would have to drop more than 50%, maybe even 75% to be within reach of the average working stiff and that's not going to happen... and even if it did, then hundreds of thousands of people would be walking away from their current home and defaulting on their mortgages with a mortgage that's double the actual worth of the property and we'd have a whole other crisis.

It's permanently broken here, there is NO fix for housing prices... anyone saying otherwise is delusional, any politician saying they can fix it is a liar and anyone expecting/waiting for a solution should face reality. The time for a fix was 20 years ago before it happened.

Traum 11-07-2018 03:22 PM

^^ Which is why I said "cooling the RE market", instead of "fixing the RE marekt". Besides, wouldn't you say the cooling market that we are seeing right now is still somewhat more preferable than one that continues to climb ever higher and further out of reach for the common folks?

I agree that the house ownership boat is long gone in Metro Vancouver for most people who doesn't already have a house, or is close to getting a house in the next year or so. The monumental shift has already happened -- new prospective home owners should be looking at medium to high density housing as the norm going forward. But this goes back to very same question that I asked earlier -- why are people still supporting the Libs when these are the crooks that could have applied the fix during their 16 year reign?

MG1 11-07-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8927417)
This is fkn huge!

Why?

Now, if Jim Pattison were to run for office in Richmond, then I'd say it might be fkn huge.

I guess I need to be in Nanaimo to get it............

Anyway, keep on keeping on.

Liquid_o2 11-07-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8927487)
Why?

Now, if Jim Pattison were to run for office in Richmond, then I'd say it might be fkn huge.

I guess I need to be in Nanaimo to get it............

Anyway, keep on keeping on.

It's a by-election. If the Liberals win the seat (previously occupied by NDP), it would mean that the parties would be tied 43-43 in the Legislature. 43 seats for the Liberals, 43 for the NDP-Green Coalition. This will likely trigger an early Provincial Election.

So ya... you don't have to be in Nanaimo to get it...

MG1 11-07-2018 05:13 PM

Ah............... I see............ said the blind man.

That photo, though........... looks like something from Bountiful.

68style 11-07-2018 05:16 PM

Fuck the BC Liberals, and fuck this guy he couldn’t even find a family photo that his daughter isn’t crying in

Traum 11-07-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 (Post 8927489)
It's a by-election. If the Liberals win the seat (previously occupied by NDP), it would mean that the parties would be tied 43-43 in the Legislature. 43 seats for the Liberals, 43 for the NDP-Green Coalition. This will likely trigger an early Provincial Election.

So ya... you don't have to be in Nanaimo to get it...

Is it still 43-43 if the Liberals win the by-election? The Speaker dude used to be a Liberal, but got expelled from the party for signing up to be the speaker.

Honestly, I dunno the cross party MLA counts anymore.

R1CED` 11-07-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8927492)
Fuck the BC Liberals, and fuck this guy he couldn’t even find a family photo that his daughter isn’t crying in

calm down
and you call that crying?

none of the major platforms claimed they'll solve the housing crisis

what's been happening the past 2 years is a good start though and let's continue that trend of putting pressure on external sources

we bring the Libs back right now, all that money laundering crack downs will have been for nothing

then Drake gets to come back

ideally no one wants a bubble burst. as the construction/FIRE industry will collapse overnight and that's like a solid chunk of Vancouver right there.......slow and steady to cool things down has been nice

68style 11-07-2018 08:38 PM

Your post is at odds with itself

murd0c 11-07-2018 09:02 PM

hopefully he gets elected and we can have a by election and get rid of this shitty NDP government we have

R1CED` 11-07-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8927534)
this shitty NDP government we have

new speed limits aside, please elaborate

the ICBC mess is from Libs

Traum 11-08-2018 12:30 AM

The money laundry problem was also created by the Liberals. They knew about it. They chose to ignore it, to the point of disbanding the investigative unit that looks into that type of thing.

Manic! 11-19-2018 07:29 PM

Looks like it's going to be a close one.

Quote:

Polling shocker: NDP candidate Sheila Malcolmson has narrow lead over B.C. Liberal Tony Harris in Nanaimo
https://www.straight.com/news/116602...c-liberal-tony