REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Need some quick help! Friend looking at 1990 S Cargo for home business (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715677-need-some-quick-help-friend-looking-1990-s-cargo-home-business.html)

Great68 12-08-2018 09:29 AM

Need some quick help! Friend looking at 1990 S Cargo for home business

So our friend is looking at this car in Duncan. She's self employed doing light woodwoorking type stuff. She only works in and around Victoria.

https://victoria.craigslist.ca/cto/d...750592739.html

She wants me to have a look at it with her. Does anyone have any experience with these cars? What should I look out for?

We're driving up to see it at noon.

Thanks in advance

GabAlmighty 12-08-2018 09:46 AM

From the quick google I did, looks like it doesn't share a platform with any North American car. So parts could be a pain. But, japanese reliability. Roll the dice and if it seems in good shape you might get 5 years out of it with just doing oil changes.

VR6GTI 12-08-2018 09:55 AM

My friend use to own one and his window got smashed took 3 months to get a door glass. He sold it after that.

Great68 12-08-2018 03:04 PM

Thanks guys.

Went up and saw it. Body seemed solid but saw a big transmission leak, cooling fan ran continuously, smelled like coolant in the engine bay. " New head gasket" ,right, what's actually wrong with the head?.

The guy was begging for her to make an offer.

We went out for coffee to discuss, and I told her that the only way she should buy that thing was to pay no higher than $1500 drive it to the ground. I told her not give a shit how long she actually gets out of it.

She didn't want to insult the guy so we left.

Berzerker 12-08-2018 03:37 PM

She should look for an Element. Would probably work great for her needs.

Berz out.

JDMDreams 12-08-2018 05:56 PM

^^ I was looking at elements before and people were asking like $10k for one

oldsnail 12-08-2018 06:45 PM

I buy vans for work.

I usually buy newer ones for work type.

I would avoid: ford transit. they get really expensive to fix. and i have sold every one i bought because they are so expensive to maintain. apparently even these cars, parts are hard to find because it seems to be in a shop for a long time..

I bought a few Nissan NV200, the oldest one i bought was a 2014, but they seem to be really reliable. if the van is empty, it is fuel efficient.

Popular choices are usually Caravan's , Chevy HHR, Matrix should also be in your range

i am also in victoria.. never considered JDM alternatives because you dont want a vehicle failure hinder a business. hence warranty!

TouringTeg 12-08-2018 08:40 PM

My company mainly uses Caravans (Ram cargo van) and Ford Transits. My team prefers the Caravan. Spring for a back up camera since there are no rear windows.

oldsnail 12-08-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringTeg (Post 8931733)
My company mainly uses Caravans (Ram cargo van) and Ford Transits. My team prefers the Caravan. Spring for a back up camera since there are no rear windows.

a new transit cost much more than a NV200.
a packeged NV200 ( racks and shelves ) will get me a base transit.

transit looks nicer inside, but i dont drive it and dont care.

twitchyzero 12-08-2018 10:19 PM

RHD japan exclusive platform for something that you need to depend on for your livlihood?

she'll get what she pays for, downtime for maintainance/repairs will eat opportunity costs...good thing she walked away

personally RHD only makes sense as a toy, workhorse would be the last on the list

buy something common and reliable so shops know how to fix it (because who wants to/has time to wrench on their own work vehicles?)

if she must go with something that ressembles the popemobile, how about the other boxy cars not yet listed? is the kia soul reliable? is the scion xb roomy enough?

my vote would probably be like an old matrix or sienna

lowside67 12-09-2018 10:35 AM

A Mazda3 hatch literally would have more cargo capacity than that. (Actually - I had an 8' ladder in mine just yesterday). No need to reinvent the wheel - with the rear seats folded flat, most modern hatchbacks have a surprising amount of room.

-Mark

68style 12-09-2018 12:54 PM

Did I miss something? Was OP asking for anyone’s opinions on alternative vehicles? Lol

yray 12-09-2018 04:53 PM

astrovan is best van

some guy got married in richmond in one of those

lol at the wedding pictures

Dragon-88 12-10-2018 08:26 AM

These things have problems. Stay away.

trollface 12-10-2018 01:46 PM

Why does everyone think buying a Niche ass car you can't get parts for is a good idea for a every day business car you depend on?