REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Please school me on long term storage lockers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716118-please-school-me-long-term-storage-lockers.html)

JHatta 05-14-2019 08:48 PM

Please school me on long term storage lockers

My family might be downsizing temporarily, and I know nothing about long term storage lockers. We are going from a townhouse to a condo, so we will have lots of furniture to store.

Can anyone recommend me where to start calling for prices for long term storage, or any tips? Looking for anywhere from 3 months to a year. Thanks

Hondaracer 05-14-2019 09:09 PM

Most of the time the shit you store ain’t worth the storage fees.

My sister-in law had to store a bunch of her garbage in a 8x10 storage unit for about 8 months for approx $220 a month. At the end of the day she could have bought all new shir and just tossed what she stored for a fraction of the total.

The majority of people using these services seem to just be storing garb.

JHatta 05-14-2019 10:44 PM

Unfortunately the largest stuff I have have sentimental value (grandma's dining room set, wife's piano growing up), so it's hard to let it go. I agree that my run-of-the-mill living room set isn't worth the storage fees whatsoever.

PiuYi 05-14-2019 11:05 PM

I've used maple leaf storage twice now, once in Richmond and again now in Calgary. It's $130/month with second month free for a 5x10, which will actually store a surprising amount of stuff. They have high ceilings too so if you can stack things that will help.

I liked maple leaf, good customer service and had convenient locations, but shop around, walk into the lockers and get a sense of how much space there is, most places have promotions that go on continuously too.

Infiniti 05-15-2019 06:00 AM

Instead of moving into your condo, why not rent out the largest storage unit available and live there temporarily? Its been done before

hud 91gt 05-15-2019 06:22 AM

If it’s long term, the further out of the city you go the cheaper it will be.

Those seem like large items, you sure it is only going to be 3-12 months? Spare space in a condo doesn’t come that easily :p

!Aznboi128 05-15-2019 07:19 AM

When my parents moved to Toronto, I moved a lot of my stuff into storage. After 6 months I realized it was all garbage lol

jing 05-15-2019 08:22 AM

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stac...TURED-15-1.png

LightKeeper 05-15-2019 09:14 AM

Public Storage charged 280$ for a decent sized space. Then, they bumped up to 298$ after a year.

The storing garbage comment rings true.

If you don't need and don't have the space for it, just get rid of it.
My family has been renting these over many years ever since we sold the house.

Mr.HappySilp 05-15-2019 10:10 AM

I was looking for a storage locker when I moved but ended up selling/giving away some large items and saving myself 290+ a month. Other smaller items I put in a relatives garage. The cost ain't worth it. Unless you really want to keep them I say just sell it or give it away for free.

Hondaracer 05-15-2019 10:11 AM

Not trying to be a dick bit grandmas dining room set and a Piano you never use is gonna end up in the garbage eventually.

When my grandma downsized and eventually moved into assisted living she had a beautiful dining room set with very nice oak finishings glass doors etc. eventually after my dad moved it for the 3rd time he sold it for like $200 when it might have been $2000+ back in the day

You can only carry that shot around for so long until you hurt your back or somthing and day fuck it

Hondaracer 05-15-2019 11:32 AM

Man, auto correct always makes me sound like some autistic fuck lol :okay:

Presto 05-15-2019 11:44 AM

Get rid of what you can, now. We (my dad) had so much crap that accumulated over the last couple decades. My dad had good intentions on organizing, but he was overwhelmed, and put it off for a long time. Last month, we tossed 4 x 12ydł dumpsters worth of crap over 4 weekends.

hud 91gt 05-15-2019 12:55 PM

The only good thing about moving across the country multiple times, with little money is the “throw shit out” skill you gain after the third or fourth move.

Infiniti 05-15-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8948089)
The only good thing about moving across the country multiple times, with little money is the “throw shit out” skill you gain after the third or fourth move.

Amen!