REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-12-2019, 10:54 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Is learning to drive manual in a RHD car a bad idea?

I've been eyeing some JDM cars with manual transmissions on CL lately but I've never driven neither RHD nor manual transmission before. I'm wondering if it would be too steep of a learning curve to do both at once. I'm familiar with how a manual transmission works, just never got the chance to drive one before.
Advertisement
evanz.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
blinkers are typically on the right stalk

ask yourself if you would learn how to use chopsticks for the first time with your non-dominant hand...if you like a challenge you'll pick it up just fine...i would at least get plenty of seat time with a clutch before jumping on the wrong side in north america
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Everyone has a different learning curve and at the end of the day, it's just all about practice. It's not a bad idea, it'll just be harder, so you'll need more patience to learn.

You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone if driving RHD and manual is what you desire.

Just give yourself time to practice and don't rush it.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Mainly concerned about getting it home lol. Don't know anyone who can drive manual and RHD so I would probably have to bring it home myself. My dad knows how to drive manual but he hasn't driven it in years and is uncomfortable with RHD.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 AM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
If 30% of the world can learn it, why can't you?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:35 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanz.h View Post
Mainly concerned about getting it home lol. Don't know anyone who can drive manual and RHD so I would probably have to bring it home myself. My dad knows how to drive manual but he hasn't driven it in years and is uncomfortable with RHD.
Definitely don’t drive it home yourself, that’s just putting younand other people in danger
Old 06-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
No.

My first manual experience was with a R32 - bought it, was parked in the parking lot outside the insurance shop, and had no other way to get it home besides just jumping in and learning. Really isn't that hard imo.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
All the learning is in clutch control how to deal with balancing the gas and clutch engagement... those are arranged the same in every car, it won’t matter much if the shifter is your other hand at all. You’ll be good to go.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #9
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

It is five minutes issue in terms of gearbox, because H pattern is the same.
Where the real danger is blind spots, they are different and first month requires brain rewiring. Merging on a highway is a bit funny: brain playing tricks, because distance changed from the merging line. But again, experience experience experience.
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,896 Posts
Quote:
That's a bad idea. Please warn us when and where you are going to do this so we can avoid being in the area.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2019, 07:21 AM   #11
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
You can literally tell which people in this thread don't drive manual... the ones who give answers thinking he's asking about the pitfalls of driving in a right hand drive car/learning to drive in general... not the fact he's actually wondering if it's okay to learn shifting with the other hand.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #12
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Which bodes the question: why buy a car you can't drive and don't even know you'll like?

I've been driving manual for ages (both sides) and still don't like driving RHD.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Eh? Just rolled around the parking lot a few times. You'll stall it once or twice but it's not magical feat.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Which bodes the question: why buy a car you can't drive and don't even know you'll like?
Well I love Japanese cars and I won't know if I love or hate RHD until I get to drive one for some time.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Well I love Japanese cars and I won't know if I love or hate RHD until I get to drive one for some time.
Do not worry, once you started, you would never come back... joke... you just would not care if it is RHD or LHD anymore. The only danger is different blind spots, it takes couple of weeks to brain to rewire. So fist weeks you need to be pay more attention on that one. Just ask someone to drive one for an hour.
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
There is an added risk/difficulty from trying to focus on learning two different things at the same time. It's doable, just more effort. You'll also be a bit harder on the car when you're learning manual so if you're eyeing up something that wasn't sold over here and is hard to work on then maybe learn on a cheap beater first.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #17
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,896 Posts
Just think twice about when you approach a parking kiosk or customs or drive through. What seems cool for the first little while becomes a PIA.

Last edited by whitev70r; 06-13-2019 at 10:43 AM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Just think twice about when you approach a parking kiosk or customs or drive through. What seems cool for the first little whole becomes a PIA.
Just reverse in.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Just think twice about when you approach a parking kiosk or customs or drive through. What seems cool for the first little whole becomes a PIA.

And then every time, they'll ask you why isn't the VIN valid and if you're gonna sell it stateside. Expect to be stopped for about 5 mins, even with Nexus.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Speaking from experience, if you've been driving for several years and are confident with your driving skills, there shouldn't be a huge learning curve when switching to driving from the right seat if you have good coordination skills.

My first experience driving a RHD car was actually in Tokyo, so not only was I driving from the right seat, but also on the left side of the road. After around 10 minutes I got the hang of things and was going around the C1 and out to Gotemba without a sweat.

I'd imagine that learning how to operate a manual trans vehicle in a RHD car shouldn't be any different from operating one in a LHD car. If you know how to drive manual, regardless of whether you're right or left handed, you know the pattern already.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The hard part here is clutch control. It'll be jerky at first but if you are able to drive without stalling it, then that's a huge win already. Just try starting in a parking lot or an empty area just to get a feel of the friction point so you know when to gas it so it doesn't stall. Like I said, it'll be jerky for a little while until you get used to the feel of the clutch.

For driving RHD, the sight-lines will be different for you and you might turn on the wash wipers by accident a few times.

Before getting it, just sit in the passenger side of a LHD car and that'll give you an idea of what your view would be when driving.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Everyone learns at a different pace. But I guess one question that haven't been addressed:

Are you an experienced (LH) driver? or did you just get your license?
Anything CAN be learnt over time, but it'll factor whether you are new at two or several things that'll depend how fast you can pick it up.

Not going to lie, you may also be a danger to public traffic for a while if you jump into actual traffic too early. Cause it sounds like you're going to be learning quite a few things at once. Don't expect to buy this and start using it as your daily driver soon.

Are you left handed or right handed? I'm not even sure if that makes a diff. But that could be a factor as well.

Here's my story about learning manual:
Like you, I never had a chance to learn manual. I went to the dealership with a friend that could drive manual. I already had the car in mind that I wanted so I took it for a test drive. Barely managed to get it out of the lot, when no one was looking, I switched seats with my friend. He took it to a small neighbourhood and then basically gave me a 15 min crash course, then we switched seats again, and he took it back.

I bought the car and said I'll come back at midnight to pick it up. And then I drove it home with low traffic, with my friend in his own car following me just to make sure I'm ok. I made it back alright. Although mind you, at this point, I've already been driving for over 10 years, and this was LHD car.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #23
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
If you're learning to drive what difference does it make what side the car is? For me driving a RHD is fucky. Everything is backassward. The pedals are the same but the signals and all that shit are backwards. Unlearning habits is way harder than making the correct ones in the first place.

Berz out.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I think half of us learned to drive stick without having ever driven at all, never mind on the wrong side.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #25
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I think half of us learned to drive stick without having ever driven at all, never mind on the wrong side.
I used to race motorbikes so I knew the correlation between between clutch and throttle and gear shifting. I picked up driving manual cars super fast. I've seen others .... not get it.

Berz out.