REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   How exactly does getting a cash settlement payment rather than fixing car damage wor (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716234-how-exactly-does-getting-cash-settlement-payment-rather-than-fixing-car-damage-wor.html)

E-SPEC 06-26-2019 05:12 PM

How exactly does getting a cash settlement payment rather than fixing car damage wor

I understand you have an option if someone backs into you damages your car or whatever the case, you can either have ICBC fix it or you can except 70% cash settlement payment that is what I understand anyways. some woman dropped her motorbike on my rear bumper and nicked the corner . I would rather just have cash because you can’t really notice it anyways . What is the proper procedure in which going through with asking them to get the cash? Posting this more less cause maybe some people have gone through with this and they can share their experience . Thanks

CdV 06-26-2019 05:54 PM

Fairly simple. Raise the request with your Adjuster. They will review it. If approved you will get a cheque in the mail.

trollface 06-27-2019 05:36 AM

Why not just get a few estimates and ask them for cash?

originalhypa 06-27-2019 10:06 AM

I went through this last year.
I was selling a vehicle with an outstanding ICBC claim for about $1200. The buyer negotiated to buy the vehicle at a discount and fix the damage himself, so I requested a cash settlement from ICBC adjuster.

I had to bring the truck to an ICBC approved body shop for them to appraise the damage. Once that was done, I had to ask the body shop to send a copy of the appraisal to my ICBC adjuster. That took a little time as the body shop now knew that I wasn't going to be a customer. But within a week they sent the pdf copy to ICBC for their review.

Fast forward another week, and a few more phone calls on my end and my adjuster finally got back to me. He offered a check for $685 to cover the damages. I made the argument that it was half of the appraisal, and that didn't include the benefits I get from being a Roadstar, such as car rental, etc. My ICBC adjuster didn't care about my math, and it was obvious that they weren't going to budge. I accepted the $685 and signed off on the claim.

All said and done, it wasn't a challenging process. There were a few calls that had to be made to push folks into working, but I got my check promptly and was able to move on.

For the record, there was no check sent in the mail. I had to go to an ICBC office and pick it up. That's where I signed off on any future claims against the settlement.

StanleyR 07-28-2019 05:14 AM

That totally blows!

My car was part of a hit and run at a ski resort in Lake Louise. Luckily the lot staff witnessed the incident and reported the plate info to me. After I contacted the person's insurer, their US based company cut me a cheque for more than I paid for the car. I took the cash payout of what my quotes indicated (full amount in USD), bought a used tail light at the wreckers and later sold the car for the full amount I bought it for a year prior.

Jmac 07-28-2019 09:13 AM

@ hypa: It’s cheque in every country except the USA.

StanleyR 07-28-2019 07:49 PM

I got a cheque from the insurance co. in the USA

Dbone 07-29-2019 05:55 AM

I think he's saying you get a 'Check' in the US, but a 'Cheque' in Canada.

As far as I can remember in the England it's spelled "What is this, the 80's? We'll transfer you the money directly"

Great68 07-29-2019 07:18 AM

I did this when a woman drove into the door of my old beater '85 civic.
It was just a dent and a scratch, the door worked fine.

In my case the adjuster actually made the offer:
$500 and I keep the car
or
$1000 and I turn the over the car to them (write off)

It was a no brainer.