REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Lotus Evija: 2,000hp, £1.7M Electric Hypercar (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716282-lotus-evija-2-000hp-%A31-7m-electric-hypercar.html)

radioman 07-16-2019 07:19 PM

Lotus Evija: 2,000hp, £1.7M Electric Hypercar

This is a lot of firsts for Lotus all wrapped into one. To me , this is an absolutely
stunning car. I'm excited for the hypercar future unfolding in the next few years with the likes of this and the valkyrie.

twitchyzero 07-16-2019 07:45 PM

so a 2000hp $2M electric halo car will do 0-60 comparable to the GT-R?

and 99% chance it'll be built in China

it's cool Geely won't just build SUVs with the Lotus brand but i'll have the Cossie NA V12 please

Manic! 07-16-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8953878)

and 99% chance it'll be built in China

[/url]

Skip to 13:37 in the video. it says hand built in Britain right by the charging port.

Some sites are saying it can charge in 9 minutes with a 400 KW charger.

twitchyzero 07-16-2019 08:11 PM

stand corrected

what's the obsession with fast charging though? i can understand in a taxi/delivery fleet but for personal use it just ensures killing the battery longevity

rear end got me like

Manic! 07-16-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8953883)
stand corrected

what's the obsession with fast charging though? i can understand in a taxi/delivery fleet but for personal use it just ensures killing the battery longevity

rear end got me like

Because people want to eat cans of Chef Boyardee while driving. In Nanaimo I could go 5 or 6 days with out charging if I had a Tesla. Some people are afraid of change and want an electric car to just a ice car including fueling times.

radioman 07-16-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8953878)

I think the key word here is under 3 seconds. I also think you should focus less on 0-60 times.

As I said, the Valkyrie has my eye. The future looks good with choice and new rivalries.

twitchyzero 07-16-2019 10:31 PM

isn't instant torque BEV's fame to claim from a performance standpoint?

i would be more excited if they tried to improve the original tesla roadster...an Elise designed ground up with a battery in mind, and legal here

as opposed to an attempt to take down mclaren, porsche, amg

Dbone 07-16-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

stand corrected

what's the obsession with fast charging though?

What's the point of a track car that takes a night to charge?

Bang out a few laps, pop it in for a quick charge and by the time you've knocked back a cup of brown you're back in action.

AzNightmare 07-16-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

what's the obsession with fast charging though?

Simply "time is money". The faster a car can charge, the more convenient it is.
While it's not necessary today, and won't even matter to most, having the desire to pursue it is the stepping stone of how this tech will continually improve.

Until one day, we'll have the technology to be able to fast charge while the sacrifice of battery longevity becomes negligible.

twitchyzero 07-17-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbone (Post 8953900)
What's the point of a track car that takes a night to charge?

Bang out a few laps, pop it in for a quick charge and by the time you've knocked back a cup of brown you're back in action.

how much seat time? 2000 kW is likely plenty

if it's being treated like a real race car then i guess buying new battery for it every 10k since killing it with quick charge isn't that bad if you just consider it like an engine overhaul

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8953903)
Simply "time is money". The faster a car can charge, the more convenient it is.
While it's not necessary today, and won't even matter to most, having the desire to pursue it is the stepping stone of how this tech will continually improve.

Until one day, we'll have the technology to be able to fast charge while the sacrifice of battery longevity becomes negligible.

i'm for quick charge if they figure out how not to degrade the cells from it

battery capacity and charging time will be less of a concern once they figure out how to put wireless charging everywhere (public stalls, at home, at stoplights, etc)

i've stopped caring about battery life for my phone with a wireless charger in the car, work, bedside, living room etc.

68style 07-17-2019 09:26 AM

I find it super hard, even as a car enthusiast, to get excited about cars that only the Sultan of Brunei type of people will ever own.

pastarocket 07-17-2019 09:41 AM

Only 130 units of the Evija?

Some mainlander students in the Lower Mainland need to get on the waiting list fast for the hypercar before school starts again. Ferrari, Lambo? They're for peasants. :lawl:

Manic! 07-17-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8953921)
I find it super hard, even as a car enthusiast, to get excited about cars that only the Sultan of Brunei type of people will ever own.

Why? Technology trickles down.

underscore 07-17-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8953921)

Especially when they'll all either sit in garages or just putter around town.

shabusen 07-17-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8953931)
Especially when they'll all either sit in garages or just putter around town.

Cough, cough...Fairmont...cough, cough.

68style 07-17-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8953924)
Why? Technology trickles down.

I'll try to contain my excitement when that trickle dampens me in the form of a faster charging battery or carbon fiber wing on my 2035 Toyota Camry.

Mancini 07-23-2019 11:31 AM

Fast charging currently creates significant battery wear. Solid state batteries may address this, although with other drawbacks. For this type of car it probably doesn’t matter. Limited driving time and the funds to just put in another pack without thinking twice.

0-60 times are a traction-limited metric. It’s only meaningful to a point.