REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   What can you tell me about living in Port Coquitlam? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716367-what-can-you-tell-me-about-living-port-coquitlam.html)

mr00jimbo 08-15-2019 08:26 PM

What can you tell me about living in Port Coquitlam?

Been looking for condos in Coquitlam and PoCo. I am finding some near Coast Meridian between Lougheed and Prairie. But I've heard people say Coast Meridian and Prairie is the ghetto. And some RCMP CompStat reports show it as a property crime hot spot.

Places i looked at seemed fine when I checked them out a few times. I got out of my car, walked around, didn't see any addicts. Some rougher looking houses a couple blocks away.

So what's so bad about that area? Low income housing? Drug use?

rb 08-15-2019 09:32 PM

To quote another RS member, skids dont like to ride their bikes uphill to Burke or Citadel. Along coast, there's some govt housing nearby and some light-commercial/retail. That offers them a place to pan handle in front of or steal/scavenge for stuff and then meet their dealer at the tims or 7-11 on coast. I frequent the area quite a bit at the oddest hours and its not that bad. I'd say its on par or a bit better than highgate in Burnaby.

fliptuner 08-15-2019 10:12 PM

Dat me, dat me!!! It's true, crackheads don't like to bike uphill.Lol

What's your budget like and where do you work? Lots of units in DT PoCo, with secure, underground parking. But again, more petty crime down there and the newer units are smallish but comutter access is better, if you take public transportation.

mr00jimbo 08-16-2019 12:21 AM

I work near Boundary & Marine. I'd like to keep it under 420 for a 1 bedroom. I like an underground spot but with extra cars I want something with ample street parking. Some areas of PoCo seem to have a ton of that.
GF and I both drive.

Mr.HappySilp 08-16-2019 11:30 AM

^^ Come to Coq center!

mr00jimbo 08-16-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8956918)
^^ Come to Coq center!

$$$$ and less parking!

fliptuner 08-16-2019 02:02 PM

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R23904...roperty_search

I would consider something like this. Older but larger than new units. I believe it's been rainscreened. Easy access to MHB, Lougheed, Coq Ctr, Fremont Village. Decent strata fee.

I'm not a fan of the north side, just cause it's farther from commuter routes and you have to cross Lougheed all the time. Also, take note of where train tracks are, in relation to the buildings. There's a railyard and several crossings that go through the city, that can be both loud and cause traffic back-ups.

Presto 08-16-2019 03:37 PM

^^^

I haven't been there in a year, but there was always a lot of property crime where my weed deliver lived, a block away.

Trains should be considered. I remember I could hear the cars crashing into each other when I lived near Hastings High School. Now, even in Clayton Heights, where the nearest track is 5km away, I can still hear their horns.

6o4__boi 08-28-2019 07:00 AM

i've lived near coast and prairie for almost 5 years now and besides the occasional junkie on a bike and a bajillion softball games in the summer, it's pretty quiet.

though to be fair, i grew up in Strathcona

immorality 08-28-2019 08:06 AM

My wife & I just bought near Westwood & Lougheed, so hopefully it's ok for the next 5 or so years. We've loved living in New West, but $ go farther out there and we are still close to transit.

invader 08-28-2019 09:53 AM

Selling or renting a house in Coquitlam on a nice quiet street (Larch way) older house but doing brand new renovations. Been there every week for the past month. Seems like a good area. It's close to the coast meridian bridge.

fliptuner 08-28-2019 12:15 PM

Larch is in PoCo