REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Expiry date on propane tank?? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716437-expiry-date-propane-tank.html)

Nvasion 09-09-2019 01:49 PM

Expiry date on propane tank??

3 Attachment(s)
I can't figure out the expiry date on my bbq propane tank. Can someone help me out please?? I took these Photos.

Thanks!

Dragon-88 09-09-2019 01:59 PM

Black Marker - 719 = July 2019

!Aznboi128 09-09-2019 02:11 PM

They could not stamped more markings on that lol

I generally go in to superstore and if they fill it good to go, if not buy a new one.

Nvasion 09-09-2019 02:31 PM

Thanks for the help

Mr.Money 09-09-2019 06:22 PM

wait does propane go stale?.

is there condensation inside that rusts the tank inside??

i'm trying to find out why a steel tank has an expiry date if its well looked after.

punkwax 09-09-2019 06:29 PM

^ there’s probably industry standards because not everyone takes good care of the tanks externally so they have cater to the lowest common denominator.

I just use the swap program. Have 3 tanks on hand at all times. When two are empty I swap them out for new ones while running the third. There’s nothing worse than running out of propane mid-bbq. Especially if you have company. Never again! lol

murd0c 09-09-2019 06:49 PM

tanks don't go stale and when they rust of course they are no good anymore. When they recert them they change the OPD (filler valve) and relief valve. Trick is when they are about t expire trade it with a cylinder exchange and boom you have one good for another 10 years. Costco in abby is the cheapest to get them filled costs about $11

EuterVanWasser 09-09-2019 06:52 PM

^^ this.

And ya, I have 2 tanks too. Always keep a full back up. When it's time to swap, I fill up the empty one the next time I'm running chores.

I don't just do this to run out during a BBQ - I keep a 2nd full one in case the big one hits as a precautionary measure.

EuterVanWasser 09-09-2019 06:55 PM

Oh one other thing: I fill mine at Propane Depot in Burnaby across the street from the Lake City Way Skytrain station - they fill tanks for the same price as they sell propane from their pumps.

I learned the hard way getting a tank filled 3 weeks ago at a Super Save that they false advertise - they advertise whatever, 87.9/L but that only applies to vehicles filling at the pump. If you give them a 20lb tank, they charge out a different rate, like 135/L. Complete rip off and they don't tell you that in advance, you find out at the cash register.

corollagtSr5 09-09-2019 07:51 PM

I know the date stamped is manufacturing date and it's good for 10 years.

sleepywheel 09-09-2019 08:37 PM

Watch out for some of the sellers that try to get a little more money out of you when you get a new tank filled. Since the factory tests them with air pressure, there is sometimes residual air pressure left in the tank. The retailer will tell you the tank has to be purged for an extra charge before they can fill it.

How do they purge a tank? Open the release valve and let the air out!