REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Getting class 4, how to prepare (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716458-getting-class-4-how-prepare.html)

Messerschmitt 09-19-2019 07:53 AM

Getting class 4, how to prepare

Especially for the "pre-trip inspection" that is required. Their manual mentions some steps and what to look for, but very superficial and I have no idea what ICBC tester is going to look after.

I mean the obvious stuff is obvious. quick visual of the hoses under the hood, fluid levels, etc, but the booklet makes it seem to be a lot more "indepth". Supposedly takes 20 minutes.

I wonder if there are maybe some videos I could watch or if anyone here has any tips.

Also, if anyone has any insights how a taxi job is as part time after work gig. Was reading skipthedishes reddit for a few weeks and it seems they make well under minimum wage after expenses and such (unless maybe you have an electric car).

I know uber is now available in the lower mainland, not sure how that would compare. (I am outside of the zone for uber, so not an option for me yet, unless they expand). Also, not sure how I feel picking up possible drunk/nasty people who might soil my car.

trollface 09-19-2019 08:09 AM

You can't make a full-time job out of Uber/Skip the dishes etc.

Do it if you want to make a few bucks after hours to get away from the house. I'd rather sniff glue at home.

invader 09-19-2019 09:56 AM

Do you have any truck driver friends? Class 1 requires pre trip. Ask them what their routine is.

Obviously trucks are different than passenger vehicles. But develop a routine that covers more than the minimum and you'll impress the examiner. More safety is better than less safety. Hell I pre trip my own car every time I get in.

FN-2199 09-19-2019 01:40 PM

I've got a Class 2. The pre-trip is a crucial part of your examination. Get into the habit of identifying everything they want you to cover, and be very detailed; be expected to explain your reasoning as to why you're checking certain things as well.

I was taught by an instructor to over-explain everything.. It always helps to be more descriptive!

tiger_handheld 09-19-2019 06:17 PM

OP can you post some details on the class 4:

- did you take a course?
- how to apply?

considering uber/lyft when the craze dies down.

twitchyzero 09-19-2019 07:54 PM

my car has 2 doors and too old :okay:

as much as i like driving i always bitch about how little free time i have anyways...and people probably rip the leather/kill the bolsters on the seats, guess you can put on ugly seat covers

Messerschmitt 09-19-2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FN-2199 (Post 8960307)
I've got a Class 2. The pre-trip is a crucial part of your examination. Get into the habit of identifying everything they want you to cover, and be very detailed; be expected to explain your reasoning as to why you're checking certain things as well.

I was taught by an instructor to over-explain everything.. It always helps to be more descriptive!

Would you have any online resources I could use to pass the test?

I'm not going to do any school since a taxi is just like driving any other sedan. But yes, like all tests, I will be under a microscope and don't want to have to re-pay $40 just because of pre-trip inspection (when realistically, I am doing a walk around to make sure no damage and tires are ok and pop the hood to make sure the engine bay looks good with no belts/hoses sticking out or oil levels bellow - but I have a feeling they might go over the top because I didn't check the blinker fluid /sarcasm)

I personally won't be doing uber (mainly because it's still not available in my area - no clue why they keep it tight to only lower mainland core), so I'm just looking to do some relaxing driving as a taxi since I'll be getting min wage + tips and not kill my own car 2-3 times a week

fliptuner 09-20-2019 12:39 AM

Have you looked at ICBC's, Driving Commercial Vehicles, guide?

Everything regarding pre-trip inspections is outlined.