REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Honda Coupe axle failure (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716480-honda-coupe-axle-failure.html)

DannyJ 09-30-2019 01:37 PM

Honda Coupe axle failure

2011 Honda Accord Coupe Automatic

At 130,000 kms (80,000 miles) the front axle suffered a bearing failure (both left and right sides!) resulting in heavy vibration above 90km/hour. Although past warranty Honda Canada agreed to supply parts at N/C but I was on the hook for labour = $1,000+

Now at 225,000 kms (140,000 miles) the front axle has AGAIN suffered a bearing failure (right side only this time). Note only 95,000 kms on new axle!

Honda Canada told me "so sad, too bad" this time around. This is a $2,000+ repair and needless to say I'm not happy! I expect to change transmission oil every 100,000 kms - not also replace the axles!

MY QUESTION IS >>> has anyone else experienced bearing failure in their front axle and did Honda own up to it? I don't know if this is this bad design affecting many coupes, or am I just one unlucky Honda owner to have this happen twice?

DannyJ

SpeedStars 09-30-2019 07:43 PM

I'm not sure if it's the same as a 90s Honda.. but the labour to replace (1) axle on my Integra was like $130. No idea what would cause it as there are a ton of factors

Fafine 09-30-2019 08:13 PM

how long did you expect a wheel bearing to last?

ssjGoku69 09-30-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

How long does a wheel bearing last?

Wheel bearings have an average lifespan of 136,000 to 160,000 km (approximately 85,000 to 100,000 miles). This is only a rule of thumb though, the actual lifespan of a wheel bearing depends on the quality of the wheel bearing and the operating conditions.

Uh oh, that's something that never crossed my mind since it wasn't expanded out in the maintenance schedule.
That's something I should be expecting soon for my car too. Great heads up on this upcoming maintenance item in this thread for me.
I guess it falls under "Inspect suspension components"?

https://i.imgur.com/ziNDG9T.png

smoothie. 09-30-2019 09:44 PM

I'm going to bet its one or more of:

a) driving style (launches, rocking, speedbumps/potholes)
b) mad tight camber
c) OP weighs a ton

How about a pic of your car OP?

DannyJ 10-01-2019 08:27 AM

It is NOT a wheel bearing - bearing failure is with the AXLE.

I suspect smoothie is correct that my driving style does not help the situation - I do not baby the car. I drive my cars and bikes (currently an ST1100) with gusto, and I have a rough section of road in my daily commute. I will also check the camber! (see note below why camber could be a problem)

Still, of all the cars I have owned over the years with the same driving style, I've never had to replace an axle until now, (twice!)

NOTE: this car is a limited edition HFP, one of only 200 built in Canada (2011) and has not been winter driven. It is serviced at my local Honda dealership so has met all maintenance schedules. HFP's have been lowered by 1" but the dealership insists the axle part is the same as any regular Accord coupe

Berzerker 10-01-2019 09:35 AM

We could change an axle in under 15mins at the track lol. Not sure why it's costing you $1000 to get an axle swapped out.

Berz out.

Fafine 10-01-2019 09:43 AM

You got a part number on this axle bearing that's not a wheel bearing?

mb_ 10-01-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyJ (Post 8961451)
It is NOT a wheel bearing - bearing failure is with the AXLE.

I suspect smoothie is correct that my driving style does not help the situation - I do not baby the car. I drive my cars and bikes (currently an ST1100) with gusto, and I have a rough section of road in my daily commute. I will also check the camber! (see note below why camber could be a problem)

Still, of all the cars I have owned over the years with the same driving style, I've never had to replace an axle until now, (twice!)

NOTE: this car is a limited edition HFP, one of only 200 built in Canada (2011) and has not been winter driven. It is serviced at my local Honda dealership so has met all maintenance schedules. HFP's have been lowered by 1" but the dealership insists the axle part is the same as any regular Accord coupe

You answered your own question. Not all cars/parts are made equally.

fliptuner 10-01-2019 10:58 AM

There's no bearing in the axle. It's one or the other. The bearing or the axle. 2 different parts. If the bearing is failing, it's probably as Smoothie mentioned, or low offset wheels/spacers, etc. If it's the axle (specifically CV joints) failing, it's probably from too much torque, through turns. The latter is NOT a $2k job.

Berzerker 10-01-2019 12:42 PM

Good point. An actual wheel bearing is a job and half so I could see that being $1k from a Dealer.

As stated there are no bearings in the axle. It's one or the other. Axle or wheel bearing.

Berz out.

underscore 10-01-2019 12:45 PM

I thought most FWD cars had a bearing in the support for the longer axle? My Celica has to have the stupid bracket pressed onto it.

I looked it up in a parts fiche, and there's a right side bearing but that's it. So either something else was done last time (maybe both axles, or the wheel bearings?) or they charged you to replace a part that doesn't exist on the left side of the car.

Parts fiche for reference, #23: https://www.hondapartsonline.net/v-2...lf-shaft-v6-at

fliptuner 10-01-2019 09:42 PM

^^^ support shaft/extension shaft

The bearing takes a long time to wear since there's really no load on it.