REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Miscellaneous Tech & Tools (https://www.revscene.net/forums/miscellaneous-tech-tools_193/)
-   -   Never Knew That, Life Hacks, and Clever Ideas (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716540-never-knew-life-hacks-clever-ideas.html)

MG1 11-05-2019 06:40 AM

Never Knew That, Life Hacks, and Clever Ideas

Lots of stuff on YouTube. Some good ideas, some dumb. Some useful, others laughable..........

Post any good ones here and share.

And.......... just for kicks. Ignore the click bait. It ain't there. Okay, you can see her at 8:35. Don't know what she's doing, but it is somewhat satisfying, gulolol.

MG1 09-11-2020 03:57 PM

Holy Hannah Barbera, I've been looking high and low for a replacement kitchen sink strainer/stopper. The one I have leaks. This is not the basket itself, but the strainer. I push the fucking thing down and it looks like it's working, but five minutes later, the water has emptied out. The strainer is no longer available, which means I have to replace the whole thing. I've purchased all these universal fit, fancy stoppers that are guaranteed to work, but none of them work on my sink. I've been living with it - one out of five tries does the stopper actually stop the water from going down the drain.

Today, I was washing recyclables in the right side sink. The water isn't draining. I look quickly at the drain and there isn't anything blocking the sink hole............. or was there........

Sure enough there is a clear plastic thingy in the hole. It's one of those plastic covers for disposable sauce cups. Hot darn. I try it on the left sink and it works! I know, use saran wrap, but this, for some reason, feels like a better solution. Better than saran wrap making its way into the plumbing. Not all kitchen sink baskets are the same size or shape. And, not all sauce cups are the same size, but the one I have is a perfect match. Now I have to go back to Mogu on the Drive and get more chicken karaage to go, lol.

Update: Sad to report that after three hours, the water level went down one inch, so not leak proof. Oh well, time to replace the whole thing.

Speed2K 09-13-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8999010)
Holy Hannah Barbera, I've been looking high and low for a replacement kitchen sink strainer/stopper. The one I have leaks. This is not the basket itself, but the strainer. I push the fucking thing down and it looks like it's working, but five minutes later, the water has emptied out. The strainer is no longer available, which means I have to replace the whole thing. I've purchased all these universal fit, fancy stoppers that are guaranteed to work, but none of them work on my sink. I've been living with it - one out of five tries does the stopper actually stop the water from going down the drain.

Today, I was washing recyclables in the right side sink. The water isn't draining. I look quickly at the drain and there isn't anything blocking the sink hole............. or was there........

Sure enough there is a clear plastic thingy in the hole. It's one of those plastic covers for disposable sauce cups. Hot darn. I try it on the left sink and it works! I know, use saran wrap, but this, for some reason, feels like a better solution. Better than saran wrap making its way into the plumbing. Not all kitchen sink baskets are the same size or shape. And, not all sauce cups are the same size, but the one I have is a perfect match. Now I have to go back to Mogu on the Drive and get more chicken karaage to go, lol.

Update: Sad to report that after three hours, the water level went down one inch, so not leak proof. Oh well, time to replace the whole thing.

Hahaha, coincidentally, I'm in the same boat. :lol:QQ:

MG1 09-14-2020 02:17 AM

A piece of silicone or rubber, laser cut to exact specifications should work.............

I know. I'll use the strainer itself to make a reverse mould, then use that to make the stopper out of Plastidip or something else like food grade silicone.

MG1 09-14-2020 02:33 AM

I just saw that "Most Oddly Satisfying Compilation #24" again, and that outfit the chick wears at 8:35 is definitely oddly satisfying. I had forgotten about it. Almost like that shiny, tight, blue dress a cute chick wore, as mentioned during our Operation Rev Nose night in downtown Vancouver. Waving thanks with a gorgeous smile to nice guy, MG1, for letting her cross the busy street to get to the train station on time. The way she pranced across the street - still etched into my mind.

MG1 02-26-2021 11:13 AM

Old, broken, outdated, useless laptops.................... what to do with them. Some really cool ideas. Better than throwing them out and contributing to landfills. And, those recycling places? Not quite honest, a lot of them. Unless you take your old computers and whatnot to Free Geek.

https://www.freegeekvancouver.org

MG1 03-02-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2K (Post 8999157)
Hahaha, coincidentally, I'm in the same boat. :lol:QQ:

I found a replacement part. Emco Plumbing on Gilmore Diversion in Burnaby.

After looking at the old one and then the new one, I immediately figured out the problem. Wouldn't have figured it out otherwise.

The stem that goes into the hole of the sink basket was ever so slightly loose. That's where the water was seeping through - I had thought this was normal. The stem wasn't screwed in, as it was not threaded. It was, I assume, a post inside a post, so I just hammered the crap out of it and the stem was solid again up against the strainer body. Now I have two working stopper/strainers. A spare in case the thing really gets damaged at the seal.

MG1 06-10-2021 10:33 AM

Save those aerosol cans that have lost pressure.

The video below has nothing to do with tools, but it has cars, dogs, and cats in it..........

Spoiler!

MG1 06-12-2021 05:46 AM

MG1 09-01-2021 04:02 AM

I really like 1:22

MG1 09-01-2021 04:13 AM

MG1 07-14-2022 04:35 AM

Pool Noodles.

Many uses for these things other than its intended use. I use them to cover the aluminum posts that hold up the driveway cover. I used everything from cardboard to carpet to protect the car doors from dings. Pool noodles work so well. You need two of the large ones that you get from Canadian Tire. Make a cut down one side (I mean, it is a side, right?) and open it up. The size is perfect for a friction fit around one half of the post. Do same on other side and done. I suppose you can get away with using just one, but it just looks more complete when the whole post is covered. I used a large zap strap and tied the two noodles together.

Another use for pool noodles............... I have a couple of 10 x 10 pop up tents that I use to keep the cars that are in the driveway out of the sun. When it rains, water pools on the cover. I hate that. Having to use a broom stick to release the water.......... yuck. Anyway, pool noodles to the rescue. Instead of explaining it, here is a video of how it's done.

I didn't use any braces like the guy did in the video, just pool noodle in a semi-circle shape. It works like a darn. Only seen a few days of rain so far. Need one of those monsoon rain days we get in Vancouver to really test it out.

MG1 12-09-2022 11:32 AM

I've known about this through my model building buddies, but never took it any further. Baking Soda from Costco, ftmfw! Just a quick warning. Do this in a well ventilated area. The fumes are toxic and dangerous. Oh, and the heat............ouch!

MG1 02-13-2023 10:56 PM

Most of this we all know about, but a couple of these ideas are brilliant. I always use painters tape to keep track of expiry dates of food. Precut pieces! Never have to see that barbaric torn off piece of tape, gulolol..........