REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:00 AM   #3326
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
This blog post by the drop shipper I use is actually a quite helpful guide lol

IMO N95 or KN95 is not really worth the price... I would just get their surgical masks that are $0.65 per

That's just me though
This. You’re supposed to be social distancing anyways. N95 requires a perfect seal to work anyways. If it doesn’t fit properly then you’re pretty much wearing a glorified surgical mask.

Health care workers have to get tested every year. They spray this super bitter aerosolized spray into your face while you wear a bag over your head. If you taste the bitterness. You fail.

Even at the hospital I work at we wear surgical masks unless we do a procedure that aerosolizes whatever the patient breathes out into the air.
Advertisement
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2020, 05:47 AM   #3327
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,509 Times in 4,901 Posts
Cot dam............... this pandemic is bringing out a lot of good in our society. But, like a cancer, it also brings out the worst in people. First, there was the news about someone or some people stealing catalytic converters from three ambulances. Now, there's news of commuters taking advantage of the move by officials to provide free parking for hospital workers. These selfish, no-minds are parking their cars at Royal Columbian Hospital parkade and whatnot and skipping over to the Skytrain Station. Like, W - T - F, people ! ! ! !

As for DTES, the panhandlers are getting really aggressive. I was at Kent's Kitchen at lunch with two of my kids. I stayed in SUV. I insisted they wear masks and they did. On the way back, I hear someone yelling. As number one son is trying to get back into the car, this crackhead stops my son from closing the door to the SUV. He/She (couldn't tell) kept badgering my son to give him more money. My son, being kind-hearted, gave this crackhead a loonie. Crackpot saw he had more change in his palm. Crackie kept saying, "I want that toonie, I want that toonie." I wasn't going to start arguing. My "dad reflexes" kicked in and I peeled out of there with the door still open. I felt like grabbing my breaker bar that I keep in the car and chasing the crackhead down. I thought better of it. No sense in cracking open a crackhead's skull. Although he was in my son's face, my son, thank god, did not take the mask or his glasses off. The crackie used his body to prop the door open. I wiped that door down, just in case.

I never taught my son to never show anyone the amount of money you have in your hand. Everytime I give tips or money to strangers, I pick out what I need, put the rest back, then give the money. Much safer. Growing up in the DTES, that's like a given. (So many puns in this story). BTW, this happened a week ago. Not going back anywhere near the DTES. I should have known better.

Anyway................

If you know of a person who is taking parking spots from first line workers, explain to them why this is a horrible thing to do. If you're one of them, shame on you. Distance yourself from this forum, because you are a tool. /rant
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 04-03-2020 at 06:10 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #3328
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
Pretty sad that it’s seemingly Doug Ford taking lead on Covid information and releasing projections while Turd stays in his Panama’s and slips on his mittens while he stays at home giving generic releases once a day...

As big of a buffoon that trump is, turd is boarding on pathetic in his approach to all this. Zero companies in Canada have been directed to make more masks while trump puts his foot down and tells 3M to stop sending them abroad. Well done Turd.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-03-2020, 07:00 AM   #3329
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,891 Posts
Is it time we change the title of this thread to just Coronavirus?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #3330
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Pretty sad that it’s seemingly Doug Ford taking lead on Covid information and releasing projections while Turd stays in his Panama’s and slips on his mittens while he stays at home giving generic releases once a day...

As big of a buffoon that trump is, turd is boarding on pathetic in his approach to all this. Zero companies in Canada have been directed to make more masks while trump puts his foot down and tells 3M to stop sending them abroad. Well done Turd.
We are fucking Canada. No company needs to be forced to make product's. Every company from small to large is working there asses off right now doing what ever they can to help out. You just do you part and stay at home and watch Netflix.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...ors-1.24103074

Quote:
. A small clothing manufacturer on Vancouver Island has started to produce reusable masks for first responders and doctors as surging demand threatens supplies of disposable masks.
https://www.vicnews.com/business/nan...sks-and-gowns/

Quote:
. Nanaimo’s Harmac mill works to fill doubled pulp order for medical masks and gowns
Old 04-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #3331

Im far more essential than working a gas station bro.

If no company needs to be forced into making emergency products due to some perceived freedoms or charter of rights BS it’s no different than me saying I shouldn’t have to stay home because this is Canada and I have freedoms that go along with that.

I know you’ve got a hard on for trump but Turd will still go down as the worst PM in history and him hiding in his house weeks after his self-isolation is over is pathetic. Like I said, Doug Ford of all people seems like he’s being more transparent than our own

Edit.

He was just asked if he has a obligation to release information since premier Ford is releasing Ontario based information and he just tip toed around it and gave zero actual information he just spun sentences from
the past with providing nothing new, well done

Edit edit.

Even the left leaning global news ends turds conference by saying “let’s begin with the ‘non-answers’ to the important questions”

Lol..

Last edited by Hondaracer; 04-03-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #3332

Thanked 2,336 Times in 967 Posts
^that's what you think, when this is over in dec,he'll be known to be the best president to get thru the worse pandemic in history....or that's what he'll keep brain washing people to believe.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:43 AM   #3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
^that's what you think, when this is over in dec,he'll be known to be the best president to get thru the worse pandemic in history....or that's what he'll keep brain washing people to believe.
If he gets the states through it by enacting emergency measures such as moves with 3M he will likely be admired for his approach

Funny thing is this is the biggest crisis since WW2 and of course it’s on trumps shoulders. Even if it’s handled in a half ass manner and they come out of it in the other size you know people are going to love him
Old 04-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #3334
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Nah JT will be known as the PM who over promise and under delivery. Everyday he kept saying we will spend millions on this and billions on that yet people who lost their jobs, business that was affected have yet to receive a penny. Also maybe he could lower the property tax for everyone?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #3335
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Is it time we change the title of this thread to just Coronavirus?
No. This is the china virus and it should not be forgotten where this started and that this is all china's fault

Last edited by DoughBoy; 04-03-2020 at 09:37 AM.
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #3336
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,509 Times in 4,901 Posts
I would love to have property taxes reduced, but the reality is, taxes pay for a lot of essential services. Money doesn't appear out of thin air.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #3337

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,891 Posts
This is the real double speak story. On the one hand, "Love our healthcare workers!". Behind closed doors, "STFU about going to work without enough PPE. We will fire you. We don't care if you pass it to your families as a result of not enough protective equipment."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid...gear-1.5518900

Last edited by whitev70r; 04-03-2020 at 08:41 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2020, 07:58 AM   #3338
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
3M pushes back on Trump administration call to stop sending N95 masks to Canada

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...r-trump-order/

One of the world’s largest U.S.-based makers of consumer products says it has been told by the White House to stop exporting medical-grade face masks to the Canadian market.

Minnesota-based 3M says the Trump administration has asked that it stop sending N95 respirators to export markets in Canada and Latin America.

But the company, which calls itself a critical supplier of the masks to both markets, says there would be “significant humanitarian implications” to doing so.

“In addition, ceasing all export of respirators produced in the United States would likely cause other countries to retaliate and do the same, as some have already done,” 3M said in a statement Friday.

“If that were to occur, the net number of respirators being made available to the United States would actually decrease. That is the opposite of what we and the administration, on behalf of the American people, both seek.”
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #3339

trump also tried to get 3M to ship masks from Singapore. 3M said no, because hospitals in Asia need them.

https://www.ft.com/content/cee34681-...c-d824e9eec68e

Quote:

The White House tried to force 3M to export masks to the US from its hub in Singapore as tensions with the Minnesota-based manufacturer spilled into the open in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

3M this week resisted demands by White House officials to send about 10m N95 respirator masks being produced in Singapore for markets in Asia to the US, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

The company was reluctant to accept the White House request on legal and humanitarian grounds, as medical workers across the region would be deprived of protection, the person said.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #3340
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
Taiwan: We're making as many masks as we can, and will send our extras to anyone who needs them.

USA: Stop sending masks to Canada and Latin America, two allies that we rely on just like they rely on us

I like how Trump supporters actually like it the more nationalistic and autocratic he gets. Are these people actually the "closet commies" they are so worried about with Bernie supporters?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #3341

Quote:
Im far more essential than working a gas station bro.

If no company needs to be forced into making emergency products due to some perceived freedoms or charter of rights BS it’s no different than me saying I shouldn’t have to stay home because this is Canada and I have freedoms that go along with that.

No company needs to be forced because they are already doing it. Good luck getting to work without any gas.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #3342

Old 04-03-2020, 08:37 AM   #3343
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Taiwan: We're making as many masks as we can, and will send our extras to anyone who needs them.

USA: Stop sending masks to Canada and Latin America, two allies that we rely on just like they rely on us

I like how Trump supporters actually like it the more nationalistic and autocratic he gets. Are these people actually the "closet commies" they are so worried about with Bernie supporters?
Operative word *extras.

The US has the highest number of (reported) cases.
Why on earth would an American company not prioritize its own countries dire needs?
That doesn't make any sense.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Operative word *extras.

The US has the highest number of (reported) cases.
Why on earth would an American company not prioritize its own countries dire needs?
That doesn't make any sense.
Then we can stop Canadian nurses from crossing the border to work in US hospitals and Harmac in Nanaimo can stop sending special paper pulp used in the manufacture of disposable surgical masks, gowns to the U.S.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #3345

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Then we can stop Canadian nurses from crossing the border to work in US hospitals and Harmac in Nanaimo can stop sending special paper pulp used in the manufacture of disposable surgical masks, gowns to the U.S.

If we have a shortage of those mentioned, sure.
Maybe you can let Trudeau or Horgan know your displeasure with that arrangement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #3346

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
If we have a shortage of those mentioned, sure.
Maybe you can let Trudeau or Horgan know your displeasure with that arrangement
I am not upset. Maybe we should have closed our airspace after 9/11 and let all those planes fall out of the sky. I would hate to be your neighbor.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #3347

Well that’s essentially what the US did with the cruise ships full of Canadians docked off of Florida. Outlets even used your 9/11 comparison.

In times like these people don’t owe anyone anything. You see it on an individual level and you see it at a govt. level.

Better realize you look out for #1 first before you get trampled on and left with nothing.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 04-03-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #3348

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
I'm not really sure there's value in releasing models which are speculative at best and highly inaccurate at worst.

Considering the behaviour of many out there - whether it's hoarding at stores, not following orders to quarantine after travel, or ignoring physical distancing guidelines - this pandemic has shown the sinister side of human nature.

If you release a worst case scenario, it will incite panic and trigger hoarding. If you release an ideal scenario, people will continue to not take this seriously which could lead to a prolonged infection rate.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

As I've said, we live in a diverse society that's reliant on other countries for the prosperity we enjoy. People are projecting a view of what they feel Canada should be which contrasts greatly with the society that Canada actually is.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #3349
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Well that’s essentially what the US did with the cruise ships full of Canadians docked off of Florida. Outlets even used your 9/11 comparison.

In times like these people don’t owe anyone anything. You see it on an individual level and you see it at a govt. level.

Better realize you look out for #1 first before you get trampled on and left with nothing.
You mean like how people buy 8 packs of TP, 10 bottle of bleach, 17k bottle of hand sanitizer?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #3350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I'm not really sure there's value in releasing models which are speculative at best and highly inaccurate at worst.

Considering the behaviour of many out there - whether it's hoarding at stores, not following orders to quarantine after travel, or ignoring physical distancing guidelines - this pandemic has shown the sinister side of human nature.

If you release a worst case scenario, it will incite panic and trigger hoarding. If you release an ideal scenario, people will continue to not take this seriously which could lead to a prolonged infection rate.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

As I've said, we live in a diverse society that's reliant on other countries for the prosperity we enjoy. People are projecting a view of what they feel Canada should be which contrasts greatly with the society that Canada actually is.
It’s the same with the mask thing. There’s obviously enough information out there that points to you probably should be wearing a mask. However, as soon as the govt. comes out and says you should and the majority of people don’t have them, it’s gonna be toilet paper 2.0 times ten