REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:22 AM   #751
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
news agencies are reporting speculation that the exotic animal market stole animals from the government animal research facility nearby, which is like a cdc facility

these were rumours we always hear about, but for major news agencies to echo these is a bit new
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:43 AM   #752
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
south korea is slowing being infected...

reports 15 more COVID-19 cases; total now at 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
news agencies are reporting speculation that the exotic animal market stole animals from the government animal research facility nearby, which is like a cdc facility

these were rumours we always hear about, but for major news agencies to echo these is a bit new
from the "28 days later" film?
Old 02-19-2020, 06:25 AM   #753
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

My coworker who had a trip planned for Taiwan was given an ultimatum after fellow co workers told her to self quarantine herself with no pay for 2 weeks before returning to work or else theyll walk off. Workplace drama. She canceled her trip and lost money on hotels, etc.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #754
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,894 Posts
^ sounded like a reasonable request of coworkers to have her self quarantine. Good solution in the end.

This is an example of the rights of an individual vs. the rights of the collective which many in a democracy doesn't understand.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #755
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
My coworker who had a trip planned for Taiwan was given an ultimatum after fellow co workers told her to self quarantine herself with no pay for 2 weeks before returning to work or else theyll walk off. Workplace drama. She canceled her trip and lost money on hotels, etc.
Her co worker isn't wrong. She should self quarantine without being asked. My work sent an email saying anyone travel to China needs to self quarantine for 14 days. We can use our vacation days or sicks for it. If you ran out then it is no pay. I think is fair. Your co worker needs to think what would happen if she caught the virus and spread to the work place.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #756
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
She was going to Taiwan, not China. There's not a huge breakout there. There's one cluster that keeps hitting people, but it's mostly been within one family, and is away from Taipei.

If someone told her coworkers this, and they still insisted, then they aren't being reasonable. If you're supporting this, you're just supporting the spread of misinformation and hysteria.

And that's coming from ME, you guys have seen how seriously I've been taking this.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #757

^ I see you are one of those who don't quite understand.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #758
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ I see you are one of those who don't quite understand.
No I DO understand, that's why I know it's wrong of them.

If I did NOT understand, then I would be in agreement with you.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #759
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
She was going to Taiwan, not China. There's not a huge breakout there. There's one cluster that keeps hitting people, but it's mostly been within one family, and is away from Taipei.

If someone told her coworkers this, and they still insisted, then they aren't being reasonable. If you're supporting this, you're just supporting the spread of misinformation and hysteria.

And that's coming from ME, you guys have seen how seriously I've been taking this.
Taiwan is part of China though. Some countries (other than China) agree to this IE Italy when they Ban Chinese from China from entering they also ban Taiwanese because according Italy Taiwan is part of China. Also a lot of airlines have listed Taiwan as part of China IE Air Canada. Do I feel Taiwan is part of China. Nope. But some people/country/company do.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #760
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Ok let’s keep THAT topic out of this thread please
Old 02-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #761
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Ok let’s keep THAT topic out of this thread please
So... We sending badhobz back to China yet?
Old 02-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #762
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
So... We sending badhobz back to China yet?
badhobz "

bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #763
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
My dad and his buddies going to Thailand Cambodia and Vietnam next week, via Manila however. Will be interesting to see what happens
Old 02-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
My dad and his buddies going to Thailand Cambodia and Vietnam next week, via Manila however. Will be interesting to see what happens
It will be fine. Honestly outside is China is pretty safe (even HK).
Old 02-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #765
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
35 confirmed in Thailand, half already out of the hospital. 3 confirmed in Philippines, 1 died, two already out of the hospital, all Chinese nationals.

Apparently Thailand has been tinkering with HIV retrovirals with some success, and Japan is putting them into clinical trial.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #766
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
35 confirmed in Thailand, half already out of the hospital. 3 confirmed in Philippines, 1 died, two already out of the hospital, all Chinese nationals.

Apparently Thailand has been tinkering with HIV retrovirals with some success, and Japan is putting them into clinical trial.
A buddy of theirs lives half the year in Thailand and travels around SEA to do inspections etc.

He said 95+% of people in the airports are wearing masks and they look at you as the oddball without it. Told my dad might as well not wear one because everyone is trapping all their own germs in their N95’s
Old 02-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #767

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
I would go ape shit on the company. There is no Canadian law stating mandatory quarantine. If this is something your company is enforcing, call up worksafe. This is something your company is imposing and you better let me work from home.

If you had a client from Taiwan flying into Vancouver, are you going to say F U, sorry, we can't do business with you until you quarantine yourself... ... total BS.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #768
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Turns out a guy I knew from college, his parents are on the Diamond Princess in Japan. As of a couple days ago, they're not infected, but I guess their vacation's continuing in Cornwall for another 2 week quarantine.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #769
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
your coworkers have a right to a safe workplace...don't be that guy
we're gonna ask our colleague to consider staying home after returning from japan

taiwan now has 2 dozen cases and its 2nd case of unknown origin (they've identified 360 people she's come in contact with)
they're taking it very seriously but still not contained yet
honestly i wouldnt even wanna hang around yvr's international terminal these days
and yes i've cancelled my family's taiwan trip that was supposed to start in a fortnight

Last edited by twitchyzero; 02-19-2020 at 08:02 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #770

^ This.

Taiwan reports first death from coronavirus
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...om-coronavirus

A taxi driver has died from the coronavirus in Taiwan, marking the first such death on the island and the fifth fatality outside mainland China from an epidemic that has curbed travel and disrupted global supply chains.

The man who died had not travelled abroad recently and was a taxi driver whose clients were mainly from Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China, the minister said. One of his family members was also confirmed to have the virus.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:25 PM   #771
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Looks like hysteria is hitting the fan here too eh...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #772
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I would go ape shit on the company. There is no Canadian law stating mandatory quarantine. If this is something your company is enforcing, call up worksafe. This is something your company is imposing and you better let me work from home.

If you had a client from Taiwan flying into Vancouver, are you going to say F U, sorry, we can't do business with you until you quarantine yourself... ... total BS.
worksafe can't do anything in this matter as it only deals w/ injuries and making work environment safer (its a grievance against the company, so human rights tribunal, maybe). frankly, take the fact out that its ur friend, as a head of the company (or coworker) i wouldn't want to deal with someone potentially bringing in virus from outside, and sending everybody else in dept they work (or potentially whole ) office home to quarantine. they are cases here that it happened.

Besides i would cancel my own vacation cause they are chances of picking this up in asia. not only on the ground but by travelling in a closed tube for 9-10 hours.

and yes, i have worked in healthcare industry for last 10 years

Last edited by Rallydrv; 02-20-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #773

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
worksafe can't do anything in this matter as it only deals w/ injuries and making work environment safer. frankly, take the fact out that its ur friend, as a head of the company (or coworker) i wouldn't want to deal with someone bringing in virus from outside, and sending everybody else in dept they work (or potentially whole ) office home to quarantine. they are cases here that it happened.
There is some truth to your statement as it's only health and injuries. If there is a sexual assault, wages miscalculation, harassment, and discriminatory issues, they are there to help. You can actually submit a claim because due the CONVID situation, they are refusing to pay you which is refusal of payment.

On a separate note.
Shop owner "Owner is heart broken, deals for everyone" which in fact means.... they are over stocked....
Just yesterday, they were selling 2 for $80

Normally this wouldn't matter in Vancouver, but in HK, when humidity kicks in...
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #774

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post

That's what my friend did (he is a immigration consultant)and he clearly stated on his wechat and social media he is not accepting any new case at least till march. Currently case he is working on clients can call or video chat but if they need to see him they can but have to let him know in advance. So is not BS.

You can call worksafe if you like about it but try putting yourself in your friend's manager shoe would you rather have one person self quarantine for 14 days or would you rather have the whole office complain and possible walk out of work (job action). Would you rather risk the part of the office/whole office getting infected? Let's just say your friend refuse to self quarantine and still goes to work how do you think her co worker will act? Do you think they will still want to work with her? Rat on her maybe as soon as she did something wrong, give her the cold stare. How would she survive at her work when most of her co workers refuse to work with her? She is not going to have a fun time at all.

Beside she is the one who decides to travel. No one forces her to. When my company stated that anyone traveling to China we will have to self quarantine for 14 days using my own vacation or sick days and if I have none then is no pay I am fine with it. I was planning to travel back to China in March (Not anymore flight got cancel). I 100% is willing to stay home for 14 after I come back with no pay. Is my choice to travel back and I don't want to spread the coronavirus to anyone at work if I do get it. It is also a respect to my co workers.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #775

You have a lot of wisdom MrHappyslip. Some people can only go apeshit and think about what is 'legal' but you obviously have experience working with real life situations and people.