REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Donating blood during Coronavirus (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716835-donating-blood-during-coronavirus.html)

SkinnyPupp 03-22-2020 03:16 PM

Donating blood during Coronavirus

If Canada is anything like what happened here in Hong Kong, there will soon be a shortage of blood. America is already running desperately low, and are asking people to make donations.

Canadian Blood Services have changed their procedure, so you have to make an appointment to donate, in order to keep crowds as small as possible. They'll probably give you a mask, but take your own just in case. Their nurses will be very careful with you, to prevent exposure.

I know, nobody wants to leave their house right now, and that's the recommended thing to do. But there's a window of opportunity right now to add to the bank, as there may be a time where it's even less feasible to go out.

This is absolutely an essential service. Please consider donating if you can! Most donation centres in Vancouver have availability in the next couple days.

6793026 03-22-2020 07:38 PM

I've given over 29 times, things have changed over the years. At least for Vancouver (not at the Can. Blood Service; as they are always 1st to implement the awesome changes 1st).

1) There's an App. Yes! it's pretty awesome. No need to bring your card, just turn on your app + your pre-answered questions (12 hr before)
2) You get a bag of chips (not the halloween cheap ass charity type), but a real size + bottled water to get hydrated.
3) The wait it much shorter now, and the chairs are now super comfy now.

The rest is the same...

All in all, it's an extremely clean place. Staff are friendly. Do take the time; what got me to donate? It's FREE to give and you get to snack on so much stuff it's great!

syee 03-22-2020 11:17 PM

Having a friend that requires regular blood transfusions, and my dad being the recipient of a blood donation a few years ago, it's made me feel happy that I've been able to save at least a couple of lives of people near and dear to me. I've been donating for well over 10 years now - just went for donation #52 a little over a month ago.

Blood will still be required no matter what happens in this world. COVID-19 is not transmitted via blood, so there's no reason why we shouldn't continue to donate.

In regards to the facility, the beds were already spread quite far apart - well over 10 feet apart, so the possibility of contact with other people is very small. Being a medical facility, cleanliness is a high priority, and will likely take extreme measures to maintain the safety of their donors.

I agree with 6793026 - the process is way faster than it used to be. Being able to pre-answer the questions saves a whole lot of time, and the waits are a lot shorter than they used to be. The digital board showing the current queue is a nice touch too so you have an idea of how many people in front of you.

It's only an hour of your day every 56 days - I urge everyone to donate if you can!

MG1 03-23-2020 12:19 AM

Like 6793026, I have donated close to 27 or 28 times. I started when Revscene had an event at the Oak Street location. I received my "25" pin and all, but stopped going. I can't remember how long ago this was, but I remember a few times where I would have an appointment and it would take two hours before I got out. This was the time they changed procedures. It really turned me off. Having to answer those questions each time and then having to wait forever. If the system has finally changed for the better, then I guess it's time to start again.

Like the slogan goes...........

Blood. It's in you to give!

SkinnyPupp 03-23-2020 01:52 AM

I try to donate every couple months. I have high heart rate for some reason, even when fit (always had this) so they occasionally will turn me down. I think it's because I usually would go after the gym, and I am stimmed to the balls PogChamp

Apparently I have a blood type that isn't common in Asians, so they call me all the time telling me it's time to come back. I try but I hate getting turned down for arbitrary reasons.

Hondaracer 03-23-2020 07:29 AM

I’d love to give but im no good in giving blood even for blood tests, get light headed etc. I’ve been Better lately as I try to get blood tests every 6 months or so but not sure if I should try and go if I feel like I’ll faint? Lol

It’s kind of strange because being a hunter my whole life I’ve literally been elbow deep in pools of blood in carcasses etc but those little vials for blood tests? Lawdddd noooo lol

Traum 03-23-2020 10:09 AM

I can't see any reason why the blood donation clinics will not be deemed essential service. Their procedures may change in accordance with the coronavirus developments, but they are not going to close down because blood is always needed.

Personally, I can't even see them closing down the snacks table, cuz they need to keep you there for a while (10 min?) after donanting to make sure you are OK. So if you're already there, they might as well let you snack.

MG1 03-23-2020 10:24 AM

Whatever you do, don't take a nap like I did. One of the nurses hit the panic button and three of them converged on me with crash carts. They thought I went into a coma.............

For some reason, I get tired as soon as I walk into the building. Same as when I sit in a dentist chair. They is so comfortable. I'm going to get one for home. I'd be like permanently napping. I digress......

Carry on carrying on.

Hondaracer 03-23-2020 10:27 AM

I used to doze off during dental cleanings until my dentist got this new hygienist

Eastern European woman with arms like a body builder, Jesus Christ feels like she’s trying to dig my teeth out of my gums

MG1 03-23-2020 10:33 AM

You're going to the wrong dentist.............

The assistant at the clinic I go to is drop dead gorgeous. Has the tigh............... off to take cold shower. Nuff said.

Speaking of dentists............. everytime I get on the subject, I think of Uncle Benny from that Mel Gibson movie. Butterfingers, lol. Banging your daughter.

Nitrous, ftmfw!

Ch28 03-23-2020 11:06 AM

FYI - appointments are full until next Weds April 1st

UnknownJinX 03-23-2020 11:17 AM

I am fine with it, but last time I donated in high school, my grandma was all like "oh it made you worse blah blah blah"...

I admit I felt like shit right after, but they gave me a little box of apple juice and it fixed me right up, so I am guessing maybe I had low blood sugar or something right afterwards. For the next few days, I actually felt pretty great and energetic, even better than before.

I just hope that they have an option not to extract too much blood at once. Is the minimum here 500cc or can it be lower? If it can be lower, I'd do it again(and make sure NOT to inform my grandma about it. What she doesn't know can't hurt her).

MG1 03-23-2020 11:20 AM

And, drink lots and lots and lots of water before donating. Get those veins plump and juicy. Avoid caffeine.......... Diet Coke, coffee, etc.

MG1 03-23-2020 11:23 AM

Revscene should organize something like they did eons ago. I actually met a few RS members from that blood drive. Good times. As long as we all stay two car lengths away from each other. I'm not talking two Smart Cars here. Two classic hot rod's apart...........

Ch28 03-23-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 8979431)
I am fine with it, but last time I donated in high school, my grandma was all like "oh it made you worse blah blah blah"...

I admit I felt like shit right after, but they gave me a little box of apple juice and it fixed me right up, so I am guessing maybe I had low blood sugar or something right afterwards. For the next few days, I actually felt pretty great and energetic, even better than before.

I just hope that they have an option not to extract too much blood at once. Is the minimum here 500cc or can it be lower? If it can be lower, I'd do it again(and make sure NOT to inform my grandma about it. What she doesn't know can't hurt her).

For most people, they recommend eating and drinking lots of water before your appointment. The more fluid you get in you, the 'bigger' your veins get and it'll be easier for the nurses to needle.

I had an appointment where I woke up late and had to rush to the blood clinic at Oak so I didn't miss my appointment. The only liquid I had was some water when I arrived and it was so painful because the nurse couldn't find the vein and kept digging. I learned my lesson the hard way and never again :lol

sonick 03-23-2020 11:34 AM

I was interested in giving during this however I went to Hawaii recently and that's on a blacklist and so I am not able to donate :(

6793026 03-23-2020 03:00 PM

I remember this time when a guy was being lazy and did not press down after donation... and he walked to the cookies station and blood was still gushing, literally squirt squirt squirt all over the floor.... ahahahah

syee 04-06-2020 09:19 PM

Just in case anyone is curious as to what's changed, I went to donate over the weekend.
*Social distancing - like the grocery store, they've got markings on the floor that tell you where to stand. If you show up early, they'll tell you to take a short walk outside and come back when it's your appointment time.
*No more machines to check in and book your appointment. The machines are offline now, and a person checks you in. Person is behind a plastic barrier like you see at grocery stores now.
*Pamphlet is laminated and cleaned in between uses.
*Waiting area is spread out. Chairs are 6ft apart from each other and they limit the number of people waiting.
*Beds are wiped down in between uses. They didn't look that much further apart than before, but then again, they were already fairly well spread out previously.
*The refreshments area is now just seats, spread out 6 ft apart. Drinks and cookies are spread out on a table, and not touching each other. The volunteers don't stamp your card anymore, and only greet you. You grab your own drinks and refreshments.

The Oak St branch was pretty busy on Saturday - lots of people going through which is good. Seems the last campaign they did is working and people are still coming in for their appointments.