REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   PS4 on iMac? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716854-ps4-imac.html)

european 04-05-2020 08:05 PM

PS4 on iMac?

Hello,

Does anyone know how to play PS4 games on a late 2013, high sierra, 10.13.6, 27inch iMac using target display mode, without PS4 Remote Play? I'm looking for a wired connection from the PS4 to the iMac. All I can find are Mini DisplayPort to HDMI, but I think what I need is the other way around, HDMI to Mini DisplayPort?

I'm currently using PS4 Remote Play, but there is too much lag. I'm looking for a wired alternative, other than buying a new monitor or TV.

I've ordered a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI to test if it might work (I don't think it will as the cable is not bi-directional) and it will most likely arrive next week. I'm wondering if anyone here has successfully connected their PS4 to their iMac or MacBook (without Remote Play) and played games. If so, how was it achieved.

Thank you!
:thumbsup:

!Aznboi128 04-06-2020 11:58 AM

For 2013 iMac I don't believe you can since it's thunderbolt only.

On older iMacs from 2009/2010 you can use the display port adapater as an input.

underscore 04-06-2020 11:58 AM

Does the iMac actually support video input? The mini DisplayPort is most likely a video output meant for connecting another screen to the iMac, not for letting you use it as a screen for something else.

!Aznboi128 04-06-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8981745)
Does the iMac actually support video input? The mini DisplayPort is most likely a video output meant for connecting another screen to the iMac, not for letting you use it as a screen for something else.

On older ones yea you can put the phone or Target display mode.

european 04-06-2020 05:13 PM

I can connect a new or older MacBook to this 2013 iMac via Thunderbolt 2 cable, press CMD + F2 on the iMac keyboard, and the MacBook will display on the iMac. So, I'm thinking the PS4 can do the same, acting like a MacBook as the source. I would need an adapter of some kind though.

From some light research, Mini DisplayPort will work in Thunderbolt 2 and 3. I'm still skeptical though. Still doing further research.

!Aznboi128 04-06-2020 06:25 PM

I've tried this before at the Apple store and it didn't but who knows times have changed and it might now?

european 04-06-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 (Post 8981849)
I've tried this before at the Apple store and it didn't but who knows times have changed and it might now?

It's a bit tricky, you have to hold CMD + F2 until the screen goes black, then quickly let go. Also, everything on the display screen needs to be minimized. This is the process that works for on my late 2013 27inch iMac.

I'll report back once I receive the adapter in the mail and see what happens with the PS4.

Razor Ramon HG 04-06-2020 10:57 PM

I use PS4 Remote Play with my PS4 and PC both hardwired to the same switch. Works pretty well with minimal lag.

So if you can't figure it out and aren't hardwired, that might help?

!Aznboi128 04-07-2020 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by european (Post 8981892)
It's a bit tricky, you have to hold CMD + F2 until the screen goes black, then quickly let go. Also, everything on the display screen needs to be minimized. This is the process that works for on my late 2013 27inch iMac.

I'll report back once I receive the adapter in the mail and see what happens with the PS4.

:lol ya I know I used to work there as a tech

european 04-07-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 (Post 8981926)
:lol ya I know I used to work there as a tech

Haha, that's funny. When I went to the store to buy the Thunderbolt cables and Thunderbolt-USB 3 adapter in late February, they sales guys said, "Nope! Won't work" when I asked if these two items will connect an 2019 MacBook Air to a 2013 iMac with target display mode. I replied with, but it says it will on the Apple website. He then just walked away, haha.