REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
are there points? if not i'd just ask for fine reduction

your time will be wasted if the LEO argues that there's a xwalk with toggled flashers and driveway on both sides

proximity to police detachment is irrelevant to the validity of infraction
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
are there points? if not i'd just ask for fine reduction

your time will be wasted if the LEO argues that there's a xwalk with toggled flashers and driveway on both sides

proximity to police detachment is irrelevant to the validity of infraction
I dont think this warrants any points. But I already agreed to dispute the fine LOL... I wonder if I just say I came out of the mall parking Unless they decide to dig up the camera feed
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #28
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,450 Times in 5,113 Posts
Dude why take the risk you see a cop just go in the driveway and turn around in the shopping centre
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #29
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Dude why take the risk you see a cop just go in the driveway and turn around in the shopping centre
it was unmarked =S
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #30
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
I had always thought u-turns were illegal unless there was signage indicating otherwise.
This is the one that actually annoys me. Why keep putting these no u-turns allowed sign when it really is not legal anywhere except uncontrolled intersections.

(I remember something in the clause saying it's illegal if there is a traffic control device, ie. traffic light, stop sign which to me indicates it's legal at uncontrolled intersection, but I could be wrong).

If it were illegal then the only u-turn related signs I should ever expect to see are ones telling you where it is legal to do so. By putting up all these stupid no u-turn signs just basically make people think it's legal unless there's a sign telling you it's not.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #31
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
My assumption has been that those signs are put up at high accident intersections or wherever someone had been hit while doing a u-turn.

Pure assumption though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
This was my knowledge as well.
The rest of canada yup. but stupid bylaw in the lowermainland prohibits it.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
This is the one that actually annoys me. Why keep putting these no u-turns allowed sign when it really is not legal anywhere except uncontrolled intersections.

(I remember something in the clause saying it's illegal if there is a traffic control device, ie. traffic light, stop sign which to me indicates it's legal at uncontrolled intersection, but I could be wrong).

If it were illegal then the only u-turn related signs I should ever expect to see are ones telling you where it is legal to do so. By putting up all these stupid no u-turn signs just basically make people think it's legal unless there's a sign telling you it's not.
It used to be that way here, until bylaw intervened and over wrote it.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #34
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
Quote:

my guess is that they put those signs in areas where people are frequently u-turning out of convenience, but may be dangerous to do so (view of oncoming traffic obscured)
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
it’s like parking too close to the intersection

Sometimes they will have a no stopping sign for the 6m sometimes not
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:

In richmond they put them up on No. 3 because they used to allow U-turns at some intersections due to the 98 Bus route, so they put up no-u turn signs to avoid confusing people that made u-turns there a habit.

Last edited by snowball; 12-29-2020 at 03:53 PM.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
In richmond they put them up on No. 3 because they used to allow U-turns at some intersections due to the 98 Bus route, so they put up no-u turn signs to avoid people that made u-turns there a habit.
That makes sense. That's also actually where I was talking about where I would see the no U-turn signs on practically every intersection.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:27 PM   #38
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
I knew u-turns were illegal at intersections where there is a traffic light or where there are signs prohibiting it. But I honestly think that this cop was wanting to meet his yearly quota...

He cited section 168(a) for unsafe u-turn. There was no car and it was safe. He drove past me and that was when I did the u-turn behind him.
Don't know if RCMP just has constables just on traffic patrol shifts like Vancouver does. I was told by a VPD constable that unless you really do something stupid, a non traffic patrol cop will let minor things slide. Do the same in front of one on traffic duties and it's ticket time.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
Don't know if RCMP just has constables just on traffic patrol shifts like Vancouver does. I was told by a VPD constable that unless you really do something stupid, a non traffic patrol cop will let minor things slide. Do the same in front of one on traffic duties and it's ticket time.
Yeah, I was told the same thing. My cousin who was RCMP doesn't bother pulling you over unless you do something very bad. Basically, it's not 'his' job to police traffic unless it's something very dangerous.

Traffic cops on the other hand are expected to hand out a certain number of violation tickets per shift so, they will nab you any minor infraction. Basically, don't do anything illegal in the vicinity of a motorcycle cop or unmarked cruiser as those are likely the traffic cops.
This post thanked by: