REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/mobile-phone-tablet-chat_52/)
-   -   Cracked iPhone, where to repair? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/717172-cracked-iphone-where-repair.html)

Hehe 12-25-2020 10:53 PM

Cracked iPhone, where to repair?

So my spare iPhone that I have has a cracked screen.

My son somehow managed to drop it in a way (it's usually my overseas phone, when in Canada, it's his PokemonGo device) that cracked both the 9H protector AND the screen underneath.

It's a Xs max. I checked on Apple and they want a freaking 4xx+tax to replace the cracked screen?!? I'm not even sure it's worth that much today.

But had a bad experience of places using crappy parts to fix screen cracks (iPad) before. So any recommendation for places that use quality parts?

Razor Ramon HG 12-26-2020 05:42 AM

Probably Crystal Mall? But I don't know how well the water resistance is after.

Only real place that can guarantee OEM parts will be Apple. Everywhere else will generally use third party parts, but it's also hard to justify the cost from Apple when the phone itself is only worth a bit more than the repair cost.

GIZZ 12-26-2020 07:57 AM

If you want to use OE apple repair parts, try London drugs. When I had to replace my Iphone screen this past summer I ended up getting it repaired at LD under warranty. Not sure what their retail prices are but I'm almost sure if I took it directly to apple they would have declined warranty coverage. You can book the appointments online.

bcrdukes 12-26-2020 11:12 AM

I've had great success with VanCell Repairs in East Vancouver. Been going to them since they first opened in 2007 and they were in a convenient location to me as I didn't live far from them. They've repaired a wide variety of work-related phones for me and always came back to me like new. I am confident they only use OE parts, and not lower grade equivalent parts.

Euro7r 12-26-2020 02:26 PM

JP Cellular in Richmond. Used them for my Samsung camera repair, fixed like new within an hour. Good service and up front of the costs.

Hehe 12-26-2020 03:29 PM

Great! Thx for all the suggestions. I will give them a call on Monday for a quote and see how everything goes.

bcrdukes 12-26-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 9011644)
Great! Thx for all the suggestions. I will give them a call on Monday for a quote and see how everything goes.

Just so you don't get upset, I just checked VanCell Repair's website and below are their following hours:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanCell's Website
Due to the current Covid-19 situation we are operating on a Modified Schedule. These are the current hours effective immediately
Monday to Friday – 11:00am to 5:00pm
Saturday – Closed
Sunday – Closed
Closed December 24 to December 28 for Christmas Holidays.

We will re-open December 29 at 11am

You might want to try calling on Tuesday.

As for JP Cell Repair, I used to go to him a LONG time ago, like when he first opened, but stopped due to time/location. Good experience there as well, but no longer my first choice due to location and turnaround time (hit and miss for me.)

Recon604 12-26-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 9011638)
JP Cellular in Richmond. Used them for my Samsung camera repair, fixed like new within an hour. Good service and up front of the costs.

they used to be a sponsor of Revscene

Hehe 12-29-2020 12:47 PM

Got quotes from all places and seems to be around $300 to have it fixed.

Fuck it, I’m just gonna get a new phone instead.

What’s the current best deal for buying an iPhone 12 max out right?

It seems that the big 3 are running free AirPods promo. Any better deal?

bcrdukes 12-29-2020 01:00 PM

lol wtf

Razor Ramon HG 12-29-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 9011855)
Got quotes from all places and seems to be around $300 to have it fixed.

Fuck it, I’m just gonna get a new phone instead.

What’s the current best deal for buying an iPhone 12 max out right?

It seems that the big 3 are running free AirPods promo. Any better deal?

Outright cost should be same everywhere. I would imagine the AirPods promotion (saw it at a Wireless Wave) is only on contract as there is no incentive to give them out elsewise.

Hehe 12-29-2020 09:28 PM

I was thinking about 100-200 top... at 300, I just feel fixing a 2yrs old doesn't make sense when I can buy a used unit without a cracked screen for not a whole lot more.

So, I'm retiring my current phone to give it to my son as his pokemon phone and get myself a new one. Kinda a super late xmas gift as no one got me anything due to Covid and we weren't having f&f gatherings. :fuckthatshit:

Hehe 12-30-2020 04:21 PM

Got the new phone today and also sold the broken iPhone on fleebay taking advantage of the $1 final fee promo. After all the fees and costs, I ended up netting about $420 for the broken phone.

:notbad: considering a used one without a broken screen seems to go for less than $600.