REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 08-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #576
My homepage has been set to RS

Ended up picking up two Chicco KeyFit 30 infant car seats last week from Best Buy for a steal on sale. Delivered the next day for free. They are also compatible with my sisters hand-me down City Select stroller. Just have to buy the adapters for the stroller now.

Thanks for all the help!
Advertisement
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #577
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,147 Times in 387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Our issue is that she experienced forward facing for a month, due to the cast. So she knows life is better when looking forward lol.

She hasn't thrown a fit about it yet, so we'll wait and see.
My two year old did that one day out of the blue when we were at Ikea. No signs at all they wanted front facing until then. Two hour meltdown and we didn't know why as the kid wasn't talking yet then.

Second kid, we managed to hold off front facing till 4. It was a fight though, as the grandparents were pressuring us to change them forward facing.

It got to the point though that they weren't able to buckle them up securely (strap tightening) when the grandparents had to drive the kids, so we switched then.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:35 AM   #578
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Our issue is that she experienced forward facing for a month, due to the cast. So she knows life is better when looking forward lol.

She hasn't thrown a fit about it yet, so we'll wait and see.
I totally get it, it's not easy to go back.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:00 AM   #579
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
My son just under 3 got his moderna vaccine last week. No side effects at all it seems. 8 weeks till the next shot and hoping he can get the Omicron version.

We were wavering about whether to get the vaccine or not since he got covid in Feb. But since we recently got the diagnosis that he has asthma, we decided to get it just to be safe.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2022, 08:32 PM   #580
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
Ours also got the 1/4 moderna about a week ago, no side effects.

She had super mild Covid early July, but we're planning a trip to Korea so figured might as well.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #581

I remember some one saying to claim for a car seat if you were in an accident. Well I was in one over the weekend, I wasn't at fault.

For those that have tried to claim, does ICBC make it easy/hard to just straight up replace with a new one? I am also with BCAA for optional insurance, does that make a difference?
Old 09-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I remember some one saying to claim for a car seat if you were in an accident. Well I was in one over the weekend, I wasn't at fault.

For those that have tried to claim, does ICBC make it easy/hard to just straight up replace with a new one? I am also with BCAA for optional insurance, does that make a difference?
I've never myself, but I'm part of a carseat fb group amd every week there is a parent saying their claims adjuster gave them the runaround, even though I BC's policy is clearly stated on their website.

If you have receipts, you submit them and they give you full amount for replacement. If no receipt you go and buy the equivalent, submit photos that you cut the straps on the old one, and get reimbursed.

But aznboi might know better.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2022, 03:21 PM   #583
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
Quote:

https://www.icbc.com/claims/repair-r...s/Default.aspx

Follow the link for instructions.

I have replaced about 5 or 6 car seats now through seperate car accidents, lost count actually

It's been hassle free for all my claims

EDIT:

There are two ways of doing this, and it's all in the above link.

You can replace the car seat with a similar model and ICBC will reimburse you for it. Or just get reimbursed for the damaged seat.

Myself I bought a Clek seat for $399, and the replacement model which went up in price was $499, ICBC gave me the full amount for the replacement.

But unfortunately got into a fender bender which wasn't my fault. I submitted my receipt to get a cash reimbursement from the Clek, used the cash to buy 2 Diono Radian R seats.

Another accident again, not my fault, bought two replacement Diono Radian 3RXT seats, inline with ICBC requirements of replacing it with similar seats. Fully reimbursed.

And again, another accident. With my kids getting older, I replaced one Diono seat with another one, then a cash reimbursement for the damaged one, in which I used the cash to buy a Mifold Hifold booster seat.

All of the above accidents were not my fault, and they were all in Richmond

EDIT 2: Also as per car seat manufacturer, if your car was ever involved in an accident, it must be replaced by your insurance company. No matter how small the impact is based on my experience so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.

Last edited by TypeRNammer; 09-06-2022 at 08:36 PM.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2022, 06:24 AM   #584
Media Officer / MOD

After any collisions the seat has to be replaced and ICBC SHOULD do this while being hassle free. The car seat is a key piece of safety equipment where even drops can damage the internals of the seat. So always get it replaced.

Luckily I've never had to deal with insurance for such a thing *knocks on wood*.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #585
private modder

Thanked 2,620 Times in 734 Posts
Our CX-5 has very little rear seat space. For a rear facing car seat, it's looking like the Nuna Rava is going to be our best choice. The price however is ridiculous. I am wondering if anyone here has any other suggestions for the most compact rear facing car seats? Thanks all
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #586
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I have the same problem with my truck. Luckily for me, my wife is short so i put the All in 1 rear facing car seat behind her chair for my baby. Those all in 1 car seats are really bulky, i just bought 2 front facing seats(alot less bulky) for my son at CND Tire for $110 because it was hard to get him his seat in my truck and my wife had a hard time getting him into his seat in her SUV
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:19 PM   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Our CX-5 has very little rear seat space. For a rear facing car seat, it's looking like the Nuna Rava is going to be our best choice. The price however is ridiculous. I am wondering if anyone here has any other suggestions for the most compact rear facing car seats? Thanks all
Suck it up for 2 years and have wife sit in the back? The CX-5 is honestly a little too small. We have a Chicco Keyfit 30, a Graco 4ever, and a Clek Foonf. The Chicco had the hardest time fitting in cars, the Graco is slightly better. The Clek surprisingly fit in our M3 better than both those seats, despite being a "bigger seat"

This is all rear facing.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:21 PM   #588

Quote:
We bought the rava during one of the rare 15% off sales, and would do so again in a heartbeat. It's a good seat from a parent's perspective, but I did hear some techs don't recommend it, though not sure why. One real plus for the Rava is that there is no levelling, so you don't dick around with towels or pool noodles.

You should probably join "Vancouver and Fraser Valley Car Seat Safety" on FB, and ask there - tons of members and techs who can help you.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:04 AM   #589
Media Officer / MOD

Car seat bulk isn't generally measured because it varies on the angle of the base from the car and the size of the front seat as well. It's super hard to tell in many cases.

I had good luck with my Clek in the CX-5. I put my son in the middle to give a bit more space to the front occupant. the cut out on the back of the Foonf fits nicely between the front seat providing a bit more space.

Depending on seat kids can generally go up to the age of 4 being rear facing so it is something to think about over time. And we do want to ensure the little ones stay rear facing as long as possible as it is safer for them with their back cradled vs just the body. (Think why HANS device was invented)

If you're using the fb group "Vancouver and Fraser Valley Car Seat Safety" just be careful there's a lot of toxic people on there that aren't techs who think they know best. I left that group because I can't handle the aggression some people are throwing.

Eff-1 my best suggestion is to take your car to a store that sells them and try them out. They generally have someone there that can help with the install as well.

Quote:
We bought the rava during one of the rare 15% off sales, and would do so again in a heartbeat. It's a good seat from a parent's perspective, but I did hear some techs don't recommend it, though not sure why. One real plus for the Rava is that there is no levelling, so you don't dick around with towels or pool noodles.

You should probably join "Vancouver and Fraser Valley Car Seat Safety" on FB, and ask there - tons of members and techs who can help you.
Techs don't like to recommend seats that are hard for parents to install properly. Because overtime it's common for seats to become loose and you would want to tighten it again some parents just can't get certain seats tight because of the design.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:39 AM   #590

The whole towel and noodle thing seems so sketchy. Just buy a seat that fits, it's a safety thing don't dick around.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #591

Thanked 2,720 Times in 691 Posts
good reminder to take out your car seat and check the harness. I'm so glad my buddy told me to get a car seat protector. The amount of crap/dirt that gets stuck there is crazy. I cleaned out my car seat today and it was pretty bad.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:38 PM   #592
private modder

Thanked 2,620 Times in 734 Posts
So the situation is we have an infant car seat that was loaned to us by a trusted friend. It's currently rear facing behind the front passenger seat which is cranked forward. My wife sits in the back behind the driver.

The friend however needs us to return the infant seat in about 4 months so we're going to have to switch to a convertible at that time. Baby will be about 9 months old, so a bit earlier than we normally would have switched but not the end of the world, especially considering we saved $$$ by not buying an infant seat.

I agree, we're going to have to go to a store and test fit a bunch. The hope is to find a rear facing convertible seat that can sit behind the front passenger, but allow us to move the seat back to the position where my wife can comfortably sit up front (which she can't right now). I'd like to test the Nuna, but also I heard the Diono could work as long as you also have the angle adjustor that makes the seat sit up a bit straighter. Anyways, we shall see.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #593
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
So the situation is we have an infant car seat that was loaned to us by a trusted friend. It's currently rear facing behind the front passenger seat which is cranked forward. My wife sits in the back behind the driver.

The friend however needs us to return the infant seat in about 4 months so we're going to have to switch to a convertible at that time. Baby will be about 9 months old, so a bit earlier than we normally would have switched but not the end of the world, especially considering we saved $$$ by not buying an infant seat.

I agree, we're going to have to go to a store and test fit a bunch. The hope is to find a rear facing convertible seat that can sit behind the front passenger, but allow us to move the seat back to the position where my wife can comfortably sit up front (which she can't right now). I'd like to test the Nuna, but also I heard the Diono could work as long as you also have the angle adjustor that makes the seat sit up a bit straighter. Anyways, we shall see.
I think all convertible seats can easily accommodate a 9 month old and even much younger than that. The only reason why an infant seat is preferable is because you can remove the seat from the car while the baby is sleeping, which you can't really do in a convertible seat.

As for seats, I've bought a total of 8 seats (so far) and will choose the ones with some sort of seat lock off so that install is easy. I own both seats with and without the lock offs and trust me you want it especially when installing seatbelt method when you child/seat combined weight is getting close to 65 pounds limit of the latch system.

So Clek, Nuna Rava, Britax (Clicktight models only), Graco (Snuglock models only). Unfortunately these are also the pricier ones.

I also prefer seats with rigid latches, but they don't work that well in my sedan as the latch points in that car make the installed seat off-centered from the car's seat bottoms so make sure you check your car first.

Diono is tempting and looks great and sturdy, but no seat lock off feature plus no "no re-thread" harness made it a no for me. Maybe I'll get one of their high-back boosters one day. Clek Foonf/Fllo also requires manually rethreading the harness when your child grows and it's hella heavy, but at least it has the lockoffs plus rigid latch (Foonf).

My Feedback

Blah™

Last edited by Hakkaboy; 09-12-2022 at 03:24 PM.
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #594
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,147 Times in 387 Posts
I had no issues with rethreading the harness on my cleks. The slots are easy to access with the rear panel removed.

Dionos were too square to fit rear facing in my vehicle. The rounded backs of the clerks lead to the fitting more compactly than you'd think.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #595
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I have a Clek Foonf and 2 x Oobrs, so I do like Cleks. But there's just no comparison to this:

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2022, 04:01 PM   #596
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
I didn't even realize some convertible seats require you to rethread the harness to adjust the height. We've got two of the Graco Extend2Fit and it's like the video above. I just check the kids every so often and pop it up a click when needed. The covers are quite easy to remove and wash too. Just use a fork to help rehook the elastics.

https://www.gracobaby.com/car-seats/...P_1963212.html
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:11 PM   #597

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I didn't even realize some convertible seats require you to rethread the harness to adjust the height. We've got two of the Graco Extend2Fit and it's like the video above. I just check the kids every so often and pop it up a click when needed. The covers are quite easy to remove and wash too. Just use a fork to help rehook the elastics.

https://www.gracobaby.com/car-seats/...P_1963212.html
Got almost the same model as well and like how easy it is to adjust. The only thing that I haven't liked about it is that the headrest is raised forward a bit much so my kids head is pushed forward (back since we're rear facing) and is bit a too curled up. We ended up adding some padding into the back section so she sits a bit straighter (and much more comfortable).
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2022, 09:35 PM   #598

So this is entirely anecdotal, but my cousin with 3 kids all had Clek's. They said they bought them because of the features, made in Canada, etc etc., and I know a lot of people that have them and love them.

But I looked at it in store, and the seat was like...made of thick cardboard with some felt-ish fabric on it, and while I'm sure toddlers probably don't give a shit about comfort, looked very uncomfortable to sit in. We also had to borrow one of them from said cousin, and it definitely was not comfortable for the child - she hated it lol. But that's after being in the Rava for a long time.

The Rava also does have some pitfalls, now that we've used it for ~1.5 years. The 'rebound bar' that is mandatory when rear facing is clipped in by friction, and two buttons. A good kick outward from the toddler will unclip it, and it's super annoying to get back in. Also there's a footrest that is mandatory, and 100% it will leave a big indent in the seat. But like I said there's no levelling needed, it's pretty easy to install properly for RF and FF, it's comfy and easy to clean/wash, and height adjustable very, very easily. It is expensive, yes, but both the wife and I feel are worth it.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #599
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
The whole towel and noodle thing seems so sketchy. Just buy a seat that fits, it's a safety thing don't dick around.
Sometimes it's impossible to get a good fit and angle without a pool noodle or towel.

Whenever I go to car seat checks I always have towels with me just in case. Many parents install car seats without looking at the level.

As for the rethread harness.
It's really not that big of a deal, your child will move up slowly not the harness height you'll only need to move it up a few times during the 5-6 years you use the seat. Some complain you have to take it out to adjust my reply to that is by the time you need to adjust the seat is likely loose and needs retightening so there's really no difference.

Diono
If you're searching for Diono take a look at the height/weight limit. They're advertising is kinda bogus where it says can fit kids up to xxx lbs. Generally they hit the height limit way before the weight limit. Also I found Diono to sit really tall and they generally angle quite far back causing even less front occupant space.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:52 AM   #600

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Sometimes it's impossible to get a good fit and angle without a pool noodle or towel.

Whenever I go to car seat checks I always have towels with me just in case. Many parents install car seats without looking at the level.
I put my Graco seat in the middle and can't get it level without a towel - works fine on the sides but the middle seat is very flat so I need to tilt it up (and back) a bit to get the level in the right spot. Bit of a pain to have to fix it regularly as the towel always starts to slip out over time but I prefer having my kid in the middle over the sides since it keeps the two seats free for use and makes strapping her in easier.