REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 01-24-2023, 07:51 AM   #776
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I have a few big things like a swing set that uses size D batteries.
Any advice on what's most efficient? Just keep buying batteries or go for some rechargeable ones?
Any recommendations on what to buy?
I picked up some AA to D shells from Lees electronics in Vancouver. It puts 2 AAs in the space of 1 D cell. That way I could just keep buying AA and AAA for everything.

AA and C are the same length, so you can jam an AA where a C goes if you do it right.

For the swing, you're going to have to use Alkaline and not Rechargeables. The voltage difference will be apparent and the swing won't work well under load.

Kids toys use an ungodly about of AA and AAAs.
Advertisement
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #777
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,506 Times in 662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
Previously there was mention of having a savings account for your child from money given during birthdays, CNY...etc. I have a RESP setup and have monthly contributions which already maxes out the government grants so it doesn't make sense to over-contribute to the RESP account. Instead of a savings account (as it's not generating much interest), are you guys investing the child's money somewhere else?
It does make sense to keep contributing to your RESP b/c the RESP is effectively tax free for your kid (they'll make so little in their school years that they basically pay no taxes) so even if you don't get the grant it's a great tax haven for your money.

Ideally, you front load your contributions to get the maximum growth - I'm doing $500/mo for my kid's first ~4 years or so before lowering it to just get the match. Some folks who have lots of money do all the front loading in the first year. More info: https://www.looniedoctor.ca/2019/04/26/resp-lump-sum-2/

I manage my RESP via an ETF from Wealthsimple - it's the easiest way to contribute IMO with fairly low costs involved.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:30 PM   #778
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,837 Times in 1,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
I picked up some AA to D shells from Lees electronics in Vancouver. It puts 2 AAs in the space of 1 D cell. That way I could just keep buying AA and AAA for everything.

AA and C are the same length, so you can jam an AA where a C goes if you do it right.

For the swing, you're going to have to use Alkaline and not Rechargeables. The voltage difference will be apparent and the swing won't work well under load.

Kids toys use an ungodly about of AA and AAAs.
Makes me wonder why these toys don't just come with internal rechargable batteries
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:14 AM   #779
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Makes me wonder why these toys don't just come with internal rechargable batteries
100% cost issue when it's cheap plastic disposable toys. Much easier and convenient to design for and use.

Plus there's no standards for charging ports that they use. My kids small remote control cars that had LiPos in them all had different plugs. jst, or barrel but different sizes. They all had cheap USB charger cables, but they were junk and fell apart.

Lucky I have a airsoft/ r/c lipo charger and use that with the stripped cables.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:37 AM   #780
Banned (ABWS)?

lol, random share:

The other day, my wife randomly said that my face looks really huge now...
Funny thing is, I was thinking the same that her face looked really huge for the past while too.

Because we've both been interacting with our newborn for the past 6 weeks and staring at his little face for so long, in comparison, our faces look huge to each other now, especially when we hold the baby's face next to each of ours. lol... this is so weird.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2023, 01:17 PM   #781
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,647 Times in 835 Posts
^^
Have you started noticing mommy/daddy brain yet like literally forgetting shit all the time, whether it's forgetting to do something or forgetting you and wifey told each other something.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:36 AM   #782
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
^^
Have you started noticing mommy/daddy brain yet like literally forgetting shit all the time, whether it's forgetting to do something or forgetting you and wifey told each other something.
lol... not that I know of yet... I think.
This post thanked by: