REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 04-27-2022, 05:50 AM   #451
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
What I remember most when my kids were just weeks old was just listening to my wife about her day - the struggles, the small achievements, and the small things that baby did. In other words, being present when my wife needed it was really important.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:23 PM   #452
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
We were at Childrens for over 9 hours yesterday for sustained 40C fever and non stop coughing. 9 fucking hours, we were seen at 6. Normally we would have left by 6 hours.

They did a swab as they were concerned about a 2nd covid infection. Nope, Human metopneumovirus, a relatively new discovery and they said it's similar to RSV. Not supposed to see it in June but here we are in a covid fucked up world where no one has immunity and the weather is all kinds of weird. They had to give him quad dose steroids to calm the coughing so they can get an xray in.

They said the wait was 16 hours the day before, so yay me?
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #453
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Ugh... that's harsh, esp on the kiddo. I'm sorry to hear that you guys had to go through this.

I hope the little person will feel better soon.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:55 PM   #454
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Poor kid, I hope he feels better soon. We just got back from our second trip to emerg in the past 2 weeks for allergic reactions, we were only there for 6 hours this time so I guess we got off lucky.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:22 PM   #455
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
So yesterday we were at a friend's place, and they had a big trampoline in the back. our 2.3 year old didn't want to go near it when the big kids were on it, but when it was empty she climbed in with mom. She had fun, got out, went up and down stairs a lot because toddlers like doing that apparently, and then she got back on the trampoline because it was empty. A slightly bigger kid came in, and started to jump very lightly on the edge while our kid was in the center. Our kid fell on her face, cried, so we pulled her out, and took her in for a nap.

After that she kept being all fussy, kept wanting to be held, and said her leg hurt while pointing at her thigh. We assumed she was a bit out of her comfort zone because there were 7 other bigger kids playing, and this was one of the first backyard bbq's she's ever been to. We bring her home, she still wants to be held and doesn't want to stand. We keep checking for any signs of injury but other than her keep pointing at her thigh, there's literally nothing wrong. So we assume she maybe pulled a muscle going up and down the stairs, put her to bed.

In the morning's she's always standing in her crib waiting for us to come get her, but this morning she's lying down even though she's woken up. We keep checking, and I massage her thighs, and she says its better but still won't stand. Then mid afternoon I'm putting on her pants, and I lift the leg she's been complaining about and notice that it ever so slightly bends past her knee, and she freaks out - so now we're like, ok let's go to the ER.

We go RCH, explain what happened like 6 times, doctors come in and feel her and she doesn't cry, doesn't scream, in fact she's smiling and saying hi to everyone and is in a good mood. The doctor's are like "we honestly don't think anything is wrong and its a small musculoskeletal injury, but just because she hasn't stood in 24 hours, let's get an x-ray.

Aaand...here we are:

~4 weeks, and we're seeing a pediatric bone doctor in a week or so.

Total of 3 hours at ER. Kids get expedited it seems.

Lessons learned: If your kid keeps saying something specific hurts, believe them. And stay away from trampolines lol.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:09 AM   #456
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Dang, that's quite the experience. I've never been a fan of trampolines thought they were always dangerous because of the holes on the sides and fear of kids jumping off.

I don't how I would have handled that, my kid fell right in front of me and I wasn't fast enough to catch him. So now he has a bruise on his left cheek and I completely blame myself for it. Wife's like you're an idiot lol
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #457
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
So yesterday we were at a friend's place, and they had a big trampoline in the back. our 2.3 year old didn't want to go near it when the big kids were on it, but when it was empty she climbed in with mom. She had fun, got out, went up and down stairs a lot because toddlers like doing that apparently, and then she got back on the trampoline because it was empty. A slightly bigger kid came in, and started to jump very lightly on the edge while our kid was in the center. Our kid fell on her face, cried, so we pulled her out, and took her in for a nap.

After that she kept being all fussy, kept wanting to be held, and said her leg hurt while pointing at her thigh. We assumed she was a bit out of her comfort zone because there were 7 other bigger kids playing, and this was one of the first backyard bbq's she's ever been to. We bring her home, she still wants to be held and doesn't want to stand. We keep checking for any signs of injury but other than her keep pointing at her thigh, there's literally nothing wrong. So we assume she maybe pulled a muscle going up and down the stairs, put her to bed.

In the morning's she's always standing in her crib waiting for us to come get her, but this morning she's lying down even though she's woken up. We keep checking, and I massage her thighs, and she says its better but still won't stand. Then mid afternoon I'm putting on her pants, and I lift the leg she's been complaining about and notice that it ever so slightly bends past her knee, and she freaks out - so now we're like, ok let's go to the ER.

We go RCH, explain what happened like 6 times, doctors come in and feel her and she doesn't cry, doesn't scream, in fact she's smiling and saying hi to everyone and is in a good mood. The doctor's are like "we honestly don't think anything is wrong and its a small musculoskeletal injury, but just because she hasn't stood in 24 hours, let's get an x-ray.

Aaand...here we are:

~4 weeks, and we're seeing a pediatric bone doctor in a week or so.

Total of 3 hours at ER. Kids get expedited it seems.

Lessons learned: If your kid keeps saying something specific hurts, believe them. And stay away from trampolines lol.
Fractured knee?
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #458
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post

I don't how I would have handled that, my kid fell right in front of me and I wasn't fast enough to catch him. So now he has a bruise on his left cheek and I completely blame myself for it. Wife's like you're an idiot lol
Lol really? How old? My just over 2 year old is covered head to toe in scrapes and bruises like he’s been in the octagon.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Fractured knee?
Small bone above the knee, forget what it's called lol.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #460
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Small bone above the knee, forget what it's called lol.
Patella?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #461
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Lol really? How old? My just over 2 year old is covered head to toe in scrapes and bruises like he’s been in the octagon.
Yea.... I don't know I just always feel like a shit dad if I wasn't able to react fast enough.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Yea.... I don't know I just always feel like a shit dad if I wasn't able to react fast enough.
Man that's a bit unhealthy, you can't beat yourself up over every minor thing.

I guarantee you the kid doesn't blame you for not catching him, you shouldn't either.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2022, 06:55 PM   #463

24 hour update with the cast - she's having fun asking us to draw on it, and I bought some stickers for her to put on when she does something good.

She started to drag her leg across the couch, and took small steps with us holding her hands.

We're also using this opportunity to graduate her into a toddler bed, because... Well because she can't climb out in the middle of the night lol.

All in all could've been much worse, but we'll see what the bone doc says.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2022, 05:48 AM   #464
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
When did folks decide to swap their car seats from rear facing to front facing? My 3 year old is on the small side (26lbs) but we're going for a road trip soon and I'm thinking of making the change so she can see a bit more of scenery but the advice I've always gotten is to make the change as late as possible.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:56 AM   #465

I go as late as possible, but as long as they're within the height/weight range for forward facing it should be fine?

I find they're more likely to fall asleep rear facing though, so that might be a consideration if you're hoping they'll nap on the drive.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 07-13-2022, 09:02 AM   #466
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Always try to hit the maximums, not the minimums. Our 26mo old is about 33lbs. We run forward facing in my STi but rear in the flex. The slight design difference in the cars makes us run differently
Old 07-13-2022, 09:07 AM   #467
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
As late as possible is the safety-based recommendation.

Potentially, I'd use kiddo seating comfort as a guide. If / When they really complain about being uncomfortable in the seat facing backwards, and you have a sufficiently long drive coming up, I think it'd make sense to turn the seat around. Recommendations were always saying that seating discomfort in a back-facing childseat is only just that, and not a safety issue.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #468
Media Officer / MOD

Yes yes yes

Thank you for all the suggestions above, as a CPSAC tech I love it. Always try to max out the seats in their configuration before moving on. They're generally safer in rear facing than forward facing and their legs are supported so it's more comfortable for them.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:14 AM   #469
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Keep them rear facing as long as possible with the manufactured requirements. In an accident you rather them break their leg (rear facing) vs breaking their neck (forward facing). Unfortunately I had to put my kid forward facing earlier than expected because she kept on getting car sick and puking during longer road trips..
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #470
Meow

What parent cars do you currently have?
Traded my F150 for a 2022 Rav4 and I find that we have way too little space for our newborn.
Infant car seat takes one rear seat plus 1/4 the middle seat, and we always have the stroller in the trunk since it doesn't make sense to keep moving it around. Starting to feel way too cramped. Looking into Highlanders or RX350s but I don't know if its worth the change and gas is too crazy to go back to a truck.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:01 AM   #471
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
Traded my F150 for a 2022 Rav4 and I find that we have way too little space for our newborn.
Infant car seat takes one rear seat plus 1/4 the middle seat, and we always have the stroller in the trunk since it doesn't make sense to keep moving it around. Starting to feel way too cramped. Looking into Highlanders or RX350s but I don't know if its worth the change and gas is too crazy to go back to a truck.
Jumping in and out of cars for the past bit due to my role but honestly you won't need that much space for long.

I got out of my cx-3 into a crv thinking that would be what I'll need at first yea with the infant carrier and stroller there was limited space but after a bit he learned to walk he barely touched his stroller and we switched to a compact stroller to make things easier too.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:59 AM   #472
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
We have a RDX and we put the car seat in the middle seat and the outboards are reasonably usable as a result - my in laws are fairly slim and could sit there for a couple hours no problem. I think the Rav4 is just slightly narrower than my RDX but the middle seat might be a good way to free up a bit of space for you.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #473
Media Officer / MOD

It also depends on the seat you use. I have a Clek Foonf which is one of the slimmer seats with that design I can put my son in the middle of our CRV and still have space on the outside for adults to sit.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:55 PM   #474

As was said, when they get older you need less stuff (primarily you won't need the mahoosive newborn stroller). We had an 05 Matrix which was fine with 1 but a bit tight for road trips, now we have an 07 Rav4 which has loads of room for my 4 year old and 18 month old. One compact stroller lives in the trunk, diaper bag fits in the footwell in front of the 18 month old.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-13-2022, 11:33 PM   #475

kinda off topic, but having a conversation with a toddler learning to talk rear faced is so challenging.

She'll be like "mommy is sitting behind me", but then I'll be like "yes but she's also sitting in the front" and then she freaks out because mommy can only ever be behind her, never "in front". lol.

I switched the seat to front facing tonight, solely because of her leg cast. With a solid unbending leg rear facing was proving to be quite a struggle, so temporarily front face...we'll see if we can persuade her to go back once the cast comes off.

I forgot who asked, but it's a broken femur. Broke clean right above the knee, doc thinks 3 weeks should be enough. Had to go to re-buy a fucking infant bath thing so we can bathe her without getting the cast wet.

Toddler-bed training semi-failed, because after the first night of not getting out of bed, she realized she can just drag her bum leg down and around her room. She climbed out of her bed in the middle of the night, and slept on the floor in a blind spot of the baby cam. Scared the fuck out of us when we woke up and she was gone lol.

She's now asking everyone she meets to draw on her cast.

She moves around the house like this:
This post thanked by: