REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 05-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #76
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Boss gave me a lawnmower after I got a warning from bylaw. Never have I ever mowed the lawn in my life (first house) this shit is hard work. And how do people have those picture perfect lawns? How low/high should it be? Do I look it up in the bylaws? There needs to be a first time house owner guide somewhere LOL

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
don't know if i shoudl laugh or if you're serious.
Spring / summer days... will require attention / mowing at least once every 2 weeks. 3 weeks per mow is a bare minimum.

What you have from the length of the grass looks like it hasn't been mowed for months (easily 3 months)
Advertisement
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #77
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
So I took possession of the new place and I'm getting ready to go to ham on the kitchen...

But what do people do with the old wood paneling? I know the old cabinets can be posted on Craigslist and people will buy it or haul it away.

Same with the flooring I guess - do people buy older laminate flooring?
Nobody wants that stuff.

Did you see that post on Facebook where the local kid is trying to give away sections of rotted old fence.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #78
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Boss gave me a lawnmower after I got a warning from bylaw. Never have I ever mowed the lawn in my life (first house) this shit is hard work. And how do people have those picture perfect lawns? How low/high should it be? Do I look it up in the bylaws? There needs to be a first time house owner guide somewhere LOL

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
No specific height but when it stands out from the crowd that's when it's an issue.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #79
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,183 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
So I took possession of the new place and I'm getting ready to go to ham on the kitchen...

But what do people do with the old wood paneling? I know the old cabinets can be posted on Craigslist and people will buy it or haul it away.

Probably all garbage. Gotta consider how fast you want things gone. Could try to sell things, but it might sit there for a while. Could even try to give it away for free to avoid garbage fees, but that might take time too.

I'd imagine the wood panel is 100% garbage cuz it's ugly. And the laminate if glued or nailed will be 100% garbage cuz i sure wouldn't want to even attempt to scrape the glue and pull nails out to reuse them.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #80

Quote:

Haul the old flooring to the dump!
Old 05-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #81
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Post the cabinets on CL, if there’s no hits just bring it all to the dump imo.

And that Lawn..come on man, don’t leave that eyesore for your neighbours ffs.. lol
Old 05-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #82
Rs has made me the man i am today!

New homeowner since January 2021, previously lived in a townhome and had everything done for me..LOL

I'm one week into our deck build and its going quite well. Decided to go with Composite instead of lumber. The deck is about 350 square feet. Cant wait for it to be finished
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #83
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
don't know if i shoudl laugh or if you're serious.
Spring / summer days... will require attention / mowing at least once every 2 weeks. 3 weeks per mow is a bare minimum.

What you have from the length of the grass looks like it hasn't been mowed for months (easily 3 months)
If you are only mowing every 2-3 weeks, you are not doing your lawn any favors and it probably doesn't look great either. Most people are on a 7-10 day cycle.

It's not good for your lawn to let it get super long and then cut it crazy short; the best thing for your lawn would actually be leave it a slight bit longer, but mow it very regularly - every 5-7 days. But most people prefer the super short look.

-Mark
Old 05-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #84
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,293 Times in 2,508 Posts
How does a working family find time to mow the lawn every single week? Not to mention that the working home owner would probably prefer to do it on a non-raining weekend. A frequency like that is just unrealistic.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
How does a working family find time to mow the lawn every single week? Not to mention that the working home owner would probably prefer to do it on a non-raining weekend. A frequency like that is just unrealistic.
Train kids from a young age lol
Old 05-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #86
Old School RS

Quote:
We have a pretty healthy amount of lawn, for sure more than a Vancouver special etc, it takes me 20 minutes if I am hauling ass and treating it as exercise or 30 minutes if I am being slow. I often do it on a weeknight after dinner before people go to bed while it's still light out.

-Mark
Old 05-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #87

Quote:
Lol.. if a home owner cant find time to mow the lawn, i really hope they bought a house that wont need a thing for 10-15 years
Old 05-17-2021, 07:02 AM   #88

I did a solid 8 hrs on the backyard yesterday, my right forearm is still buzzing from the weedwacker. The whole time I was thinking I have to get up on the roof, clean the skylights, fix the chimney stack, plan out kitchen and bathroom renos, get a price on paving the back driveway, kill all these ants.

So, there's always something to do on the property which doesn't leave much time for wrenching, working out, whatever your other hobbies are. Part of the reason my wife wants to move to a condo, if I find a 4 car enclosed, ocean view strata unit in the same price range I'll take a hard look at it.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #89

You build sweat equity.

You plant gardens for what they will look like in 3-4 years, you landscape for the following 2, you clean your gutters so you don’t have to next year.

All you’re doing is biding time for yourself. I spent almost 3 years renovating so that I can finally kick my feet up and do the maintenance and aesthetic work I want.

I think I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again, if you aren’t capable of minor fixes and maintenance work, paying someone to do this type of work will become overwhelmingly exhaustive/prohibitively expensive.

This is moreso a vanity item but I’ll give an example. I just had the company that Costco works with that does closet organizers etc. I have a fairly basic open closet right now that’s about 8’ wide by 3’ deep. I also got a quote on a little corner unit for the wife’s makeup stuff etc.

I thought an “excessive” quote would be around 3500-4000 as I figure I could build what I asked for myself for around $1000-1500. This company got back to me with a quote of 6450...

To really dumb it down, if you can’t build a book shelf or a TV console from ikea etc. You’re best bet is to find a strata property which will handle the maintenance for you.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #90
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
7 - 10 day mowing cycle is freaking crazy. that's assume epic weather condition and doign during covid stay at home is do-able.
i can't imagine if someone had to to work and still do a 7-10 day cycle.

fuck.. now i keep looking at my lawn thinking if i should mow it or not ahhaahahha
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #91
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
I have to mow mine 2x a week or it gets so long it'll stall the mower if I try to go too fast.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #92

That is literally me, although I suck at all the handy work that needs to be done, so everything ends up looking ghetto, but at least it gets the job done.

I already do what I can to get rid of weeds and dandelions on a regular basis, but some of my neighbours, including those from a few houses down, don't really give a damn about weed, so they end up sprouting up all the time. Mowing the backyard alone takes up to 4 hrs, since I am seeing all those weeds that I couldn't see before and it annoys the heck out of me to just leave them there.

Now that I am a homeowner myself, I realize I really gave too little credit to my old man for keeping the house together in a decent shape all these years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
I did a solid 8 hrs on the backyard yesterday, my right forearm is still buzzing from the weedwacker. The whole time I was thinking I have to get up on the roof, clean the skylights, fix the chimney stack, plan out kitchen and bathroom renos, get a price on paving the back driveway, kill all these ants.

So, there's always something to do on the property which doesn't leave much time for wrenching, working out, whatever your other hobbies are. Part of the reason my wife wants to move to a condo, if I find a 4 car enclosed, ocean view strata unit in the same price range I'll take a hard look at it.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #93
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Taking names for

1) deck, glass railing, glass patio cover, fiberglass/vinyl floor cover guy
2) vinyl fence guy
3) landscape guy
4) roof sweeper guy for regular sweeping

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #94
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Replaced the clunky, builder quality, garage door opener, with a super quiet, belt driven unit. So nice!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2021, 01:42 PM   #95
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
What do people do for corner cabinets? We are thinking of 45 degree cabinets, and installing D-shaped lazy susans to maximize space/usage. Trying to figure out the two corner cabinets in our kitchen's layout.

A quick sketch of the proposed kitchen layout:

fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #96
Old School RS

Quote:
Mowing the backyard alone takes up to 4 hrs, since I am seeing all those weeds that I couldn't see before and it annoys the heck out of me to just leave them there.
4 hours!?!? Do you have a football field?!? I can certainly appreciate why it's harder to fit that into your schedule.

My lawn generally takes between 2-3 full bags of clippings, for "scale" and that is genuinely 30 minutes of mowing if I am taking my time.

-Mark
Old 05-20-2021, 11:42 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
4 hours!?!? Do you have a football field?!? I can certainly appreciate why it's harder to fit that into your schedule.
Between the bumpy terrain, the PITA edges around various stuff, and all the weed that I notice only when I am mowing the lawn (where I just have to go dig them out), it's usually in the 2+ hours range. The weeding is really the worst and most time consuming part, and I'd have to say that compared to last year, I'm spreading more of the weeding part over the course of the week instead of doing it while I was mowing the lawn, so I haven't pulled any 4 hour stints so far this year.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #98
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Hire a fertilizer/weed control company to come do your lawn. I don't know if Nutrilawn is down there but we get them to do our grass and it only costs a little more than fertilizing the lawn myself, and there's maybe 3 weeds a year.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #99
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Anyone renovate a washroom recently? Wondering how much it costs to hire a contractor to rip it out completely and put in a new one

Thanks
vancitylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #100
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancitylove View Post
Anyone renovate a washroom recently? Wondering how much it costs to hire a contractor to rip it out completely and put in a new one

Thanks
Give a dog a bone, man.

What size? Moving any fixtures/drains? 1st/upper floor? Crawlspace underneath? What finishes/fixtures?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote