REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Lexus IS500 F Performance - RIP Acura TLX Type-S (https://www.revscene.net/forums/717216-lexus-is500-f-performance-rip-acura-tlx-type-s.html)

bcrdukes 07-22-2021 12:42 PM

They probably tuned the exhaust keeping the VPD in mind.

Akinari 07-29-2021 03:29 PM

Had a talk with the wifey, this car will very very likely be our next car once the UX250h lease is up :fuckyea:

JDMDreams 07-29-2021 05:00 PM

^^ but $1.8 a liter doe :QQ:

roastpuff 07-29-2021 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMDreams (Post 9035149)

I'm already running premium on the GTI, what's a few more L/100KM at this point FeelsBadMan

@Akinari what colour? Wife says Grecian Blue but I like Infrared

BlackV62K2 07-29-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

So much this. In the market for a new car and wanted something fun but man those gas prices are a killer. Looking at sensible EVs and plug-in hybrids now ffs

68style 07-29-2021 07:13 PM

You’re spending $60,000+ taxes on something… and worried about a few extra $ every couple weeks for an average driver??

I don’t even look at the pump price when I fill up or what the total is, who cares… gonna drive my car that I want to drive and I’m gonna floor it whenever I feel like it too hahaha

Spectre_Cdn 07-29-2021 08:28 PM

If this WFH policy is here to stay (for some), driving is simply only for weekends/pleasure use. Bring on more displacement PogChamp (emissions police and manufacturers beg to differ :okay:)

Klondike 07-29-2021 10:05 PM

Yeah I'm ready to trade my daily for an EV. Not enough selection at the moment and everything is way out of my price range.

I wouldn't mind an i-miev KEKW

twitchyzero 07-29-2021 10:30 PM

when's the last time fuel prices isn't going up over the long term? even saudis flooding the market is relatively short-lived

new car prices is one of those that have actually stayed relatively affordable (maybe the pandemic will change that)

for daily it doesnt make sense to me buying ICE brand new going forward

https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploa...01/cpi2020.png

roastpuff 07-29-2021 10:46 PM

To me, it's about one last ICE car before going electric. What better way to celebrate it than a high-revving V8?

EDIT: Also, I have no way to charge at home in my current location, which I just purchased this year as well. So I’m still stuck with ICE or hybrid for the foreseeable future. And there aren’t really any hybrids that are compelling to a car enthusiast IMO.

Akinari 07-30-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 9035150)
I'm already running premium on the GTI, what's a few more L/100KM at this point FeelsBadMan

@Akinari what colour? Wife says Grecian Blue but I like Infrared

Incognito would be amazing but we're not gonna make it for the Launch Edition which sucks, cause it's such a nice colour.

It'll be at least late 2023 before we're eligible for a lease renewal, so it'll either be Cloudburst Grey or Ultra White.

I saw a Grecian Blue UX on the street earlier today and wasn't a huge fan.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn (Post 9035166)
If this WFH policy is here to stay (for some), driving is simply only for weekends/pleasure use. Bring on more displacement PogChamp (emissions police and manufacturers beg to differ :okay:)

IS500 won't be the daily, plus I'll be WFH, so doesn't really matter *too* much.

The plan is to lease buyout at the end. Assuming the lease is until 2027, I'd very much like to have an NA 5.0L V8 sports sedan to keep while everything else is EV :alonehappy:

Both gf and I are massive fans of the 3rd/4th (current) gen IS. Having owned an IS300 F Sport RWD, it was such a great car. Now that they're sticking in an NA V8, it's a no brainer for me.

Canadian pricing is supposedly coming out on Sept 20 according to my sales guy. I'm assuming it'll be in the low 70s, considering an IS350 F Sport 3 is $58k, and the RC F is $85k. Right in the middle of the two would be $71.5k

JDMDreams 07-30-2021 06:24 PM

Yea most of my driving is to commute, when was the last time you went on a cruise for pleasure? At $1.8 per liter? Since the vi Bois started I haven't even driven any fun cars in Van. I just cringe when I'm idling in my v8 stuck in Van traffic with the AC on.

68style 07-30-2021 06:36 PM

^ You're literally scared of everything though... so can't really take it seriously.

bcrdukes 07-30-2021 08:19 PM

Is JDMDreams Mr. HappySlip? :suspicious:

impactX 08-06-2021 09:26 AM

Lovely car!

roastpuff 09-07-2021 02:07 PM

So I got an update from my sales guy over the long weekend, and others on the Lexus forums have also corroborated this.

Code:

IS 500 regular will be $72.9k
IS 500 LE will be $77.6k
All prices plus freight/PDI/fees etc.

No delivery date as of yet but Toyota/Lexus is heavily slashing production due to chip shortages so it might be a while

Akinari was basically right on the ball. The wife and I are talking it over once again, before committing to purchasing, but that's roughly on the upper end of our budget so we're reviewing the competition to see if any of the other cars really stand out to us in comparison to the Lexus to warrant taking a second look.

bcrdukes 09-07-2021 02:13 PM

Thanks for the update.

I thought about this coincidentally over the long weekend and is there really a worthy competitor to the IS500 in that price range? I can't think of anything that would come close to be honest. I hope I'm wrong.

At least, nothing that will be as reliable and doesn't come with the baggage of a steep depreciation curve depreciation and what-have-you.

roastpuff 09-07-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 9038732)
Thanks for the update.

I thought about this coincidentally over the long weekend and is there really a worthy competitor to the IS500 in that price range? I can't think of anything that would come close to be honest. I hope I'm wrong.

At least, nothing that will be as reliable and doesn't come with the baggage of a steep depreciation curve depreciation and what-have-you.

Well, if you're using the criteria of RWD + V8 + compact sedan there isn't really anything new at the price.

BMW only makes xDrive 3 series sedans now - no more RWD for the M340i. If you want RWD you have to step up to the M3, and that's over 100K nowadays (whereas the F80 M3 was still in the high 80s range). Granted the M340i is likely to be faster than the IS500, but having driven it, the car feels artificial. It's fast, very competent, but doesn't really have anything to give it character or personality. Have not driven the M3 (either F80 or G80) so I can't comment.

The C63/C63S is similarly priced to the M3 once you start adding options, and it's the only other game if you want a luxury-badged sedan with a V8. Honestly if you have the means this is probably an amazing choice - the AMGs have a lot of character, a lot of fun, and have the interior wow factor that the Lexus and BMW are both missing. Test drove the C43 AMG and it was much more alive and fun/naughty than the BMW M340i.

When you look to the USA, you have the Dodge Chargers/Hellcats as the sole remaining domestic entrant in the V8 sedan space, but you don't get the premium build quality/badge of the luxury brands. You do get a larger vehicle, and the price is pretty good.

Of course, all these other competitors will also have the baggage of depreciation and possible problems past their warranty period, as you pointed out. That's one thing that is a black mark for my wife and I when we are running our comparisons. Currently owning a 10-year old GTI (soon to be 11) that has had it's fair share of issues throughout the ownership period has left us a bit wary of German cars.

JDMDreams 09-07-2021 02:30 PM

Alfa Romeo:troll: that Ferrari engine

roastpuff 09-07-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMDreams (Post 9038734)
Alfa Romeo:troll: that Ferrari engine

Well, first of all the Alfa QF is a V6 not a V8, secondly, has the same issue as the M3/C63 that it ends up in the 100K price arena. At that point - the AMG C63 becomes the more engaging choice, whereas the M3/M4 are point-and-shoot balls-to-the-walls fast. Also, do you really want to deal with Alfa Romeo dealers that are basically Grand Caravan salespeople dressed in better clothing?

bcrdukes 09-07-2021 02:47 PM

Despite all the bullshit surrounding Alfa Romeo, I still love their Italian bullshit. I'm a glutton for punishment having owned one before. Having said that, I could never recommend Alfa Romeo to anyone even if I hated them. :accepted:

One problem (or positive benefit?) of Alfa Romeo is you can customize the shit out of your car. But they charge you for everything so that makes the purchasing piece a bit difficult and it adds up as fast as how many times your car ends up on average at the shop for unexpected failures. Lexus makes it easier where they just give you a few packages and you take it or leave it, and the options generally are pretty well put together for the most part. (Not always.)

JDMDreams 09-07-2021 04:23 PM

I guess it depends if you want something interesting or the mainstream car. The Alfa should have warranty for quite a few years:accepted:

vitaminG 09-07-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 9038735)
Well, first of all the Alfa QF is a V6 not a V8

It is a 90° v6 derived from the Ferrari v8

impactX 09-08-2021 01:22 AM

If you plan to keep the car for a long time, there simply will not be a more affordable competitor. With European car manufacturers going tiny displacement engine with turbo in order to adhere to the Euro emission standard, they are only in the business of selling computerized appliances that are destined to break within a few years, and trying to make the last few years of profit with ICE cars before they go full electric. I am quite sure the IS500 can run for over 20 years (affordably) if Toyota continues to provide replacement parts.

68style 09-08-2021 07:53 AM

^ Does that mean your IS300 is set to expire in 2023 impactX? :D

(I'm kidding, I have 2 IS300's myself)