REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Removing a tree in Vancouver

So I'm looking to put a bid on a property in order to build a house but there's a pretty sizeable tree in the back right where the laneway would go. Curious what folks know about the likelihood of the city allowing the tree to be removed or am I going to need to change the location of the laneway (eg. put it on the north side of the lot rather than the south and lose an open parking spot or the shape of the laneway needs to leave room for the tree).

Advertisement
Old 02-24-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
to help with any in the know... 1st question is - which city, Vancouver?
i'm no arborist well...that's actually my response, i think you need to check with an arborist

someone on here may be in the know, but cov are tree huggers, pun intended, and that looks like an old tree so it may be a problem...i always thought the rule of thumb was remove 1 plant 1, but if it's a tree of value (deemed by city/city arborist)...city can make you do some extraordinary things.

hopefully someone on here with more insight

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
In for the answer as well since I'm too lazy to properly google / read through the CoV website on the issue.

The million dollar question that I'd ask you is -- if the tree cannot be cut down, is that going to be a deal breaker for you on the house purchase?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:26 PM   #4

That's a HEATHLY looking tree. Big & Tall

if it is City of Vancouver, You can forget about it.
They won't even let us remove a half dying tree during our new built house last year.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:15 AM   #5

Yep, it's Vancouver (East Van) and the city bylaw is pretty vague - in fact, it makes it sound like it's just a case of a permit and a replacement tree being planted but I think we all know that it isn't the case. The bylaw says that if your building plans show that the tree interferes then it can be removed but there's enough stories about these situations that say that is totally not true.

Is it a deal breaker? Maybe, I'll have to see the lot in person this weekend to see how much pain it'd cause for the laneway. I want to build a 1 story laneway with a garage if possible and if we have to build around the tree that's going to cut a lot into the backyard.

I'm checking with one of the builders I'm considering to get their opinion, my agent thinks it's going to be problematic.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #6

For reference: https://vancouver.ca/your-government...ees-bylaw.aspx

Basically everything is a "may" when it comes to what is allowed to come down.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Yep, it's Vancouver (East Van) and the city bylaw is pretty vague - in fact, it makes it sound like it's just a case of a permit and a replacement tree being planted but I think we all know that it isn't the case. The bylaw says that if your building plans show that the tree interferes then it can be removed but there's enough stories about these situations that say that is totally not true.

Is it a deal breaker? Maybe, I'll have to see the lot in person this weekend to see how much pain it'd cause for the laneway. I want to build a 1 story laneway with a garage if possible and if we have to build around the tree that's going to cut a lot into the backyard.

I'm checking with one of the builders I'm considering to get their opinion, my agent thinks it's going to be problematic.
How big is the lot ?
I have a Laneway. 1 Story above + 2 tiny cars garage in the bottom.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
that's why i say i think an arborist is needed. they speak the language and the subject matter expert...the city won't listen to a realtor, contractor, anti-masker, RS genius etc...

who knows, maybe they'll say you can remove it but you must transplant it somewhere else

i've seen developments affected by roots of a neighbouring tree...serious business...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #9
I don't get it

Just seeing that big pine tree reminds me of my neighbour who built a laneway house underneath a tree like that and their eavestrough has collapsed under the sheer weight of pine needles.

You can see how much garbage it leaves (leafs? heh heh) on the garage roof too. I've read that leaf guard filters aren't effective in protecting against pine needles so you'll need to account for more than usual maintenance to clear the sheer amount of pine needles and pine cones that bomb down if removing/replacing the tree isn't permitted
ssjGoku69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
How big is the lot ?
I have a Laneway. 1 Story above + 2 tiny cars garage in the bottom.
That lot is a 33x122 (4026sf). Ideally I'd like to build a 1 story so my parents don't have to walk up any stairs when they move in but it may not be practical.

I heard back from one of the builders I'm talking to and he says the tree is gonna have to stay and that we'll need a relaxation from the city to build further into the backyard, likely 5' more. If we have to do that then a 1 story laneway isn't going to work as that'd eat up way too much of the backyard (it'd take an additional 7-8' into the yard).
Old 02-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #11
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Looks like it came down in the next windstorm.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Take a look at this Google Street view of a laneway house that was built a number of years ago by laneway builder, Lanefab.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZCHd3NTWmjamuMeKA

I don't recall if the owner of Lanefab lives here or not, or if the owner of the house simply hired them to do the job, but if you take a look at the back of the house, there is a huge massive tree there. The laneway you see literally to the right of the main house sat a huge massive tree, similar to that of OP's example.

The tree had to be cut down in order to accommodate the laneway house. They definitely hired an arborist to do the job, and this was also when laneways were a hot thing to do (he was definitely the first in the neighborhood to do it.) Might be a chicken or the egg situation for OP. Best to consult a builder and/or arborist on this.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #13
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
i had a tree removed from my commercial property this year, it was in surrey though.
not sure about vancouver, but in surrey its a park board thing not a city thing.
you should take plenty of pictures of the tree, provide aerials if possible or at least from different distances, show the root damage if there is any, etc...

in surrey (and probably also vancouver), root damage is not generally reason enough to have a tree removed. the tree has to be considered either hazardous, as in possibly dying and at risk of falling over, or doing damage to your foundation. just having the tree being a bother to you, or even breaking up your asphalt driveway or snaking around your house perimeter is not a good enough reason to have your tree removed. a tree blocking your view or preventing you from constructing a laneway is almost certainly not a reason that will be considered.

cut one plant one doesn't let you cut down any tree you want, even if the tree is dying, you will have to pay to plant a new tree, and pay the arborist to chop the tree down. ours was an 80' cottonwood and we paid about 3k to cut it down, and we had to pay the city $515 to plant a new tree.

when we submitted the request the city sent an arborist to assess the tree, but if you're not at that stage since you haven't bought the house, then you can just privately hire an arborist to do the assessment. to me that tree looks way too healthy to cut down, but i'm not an expert.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #14
in the butt

Thanked 3,219 Times in 1,182 Posts
Pay me 250$, il save you involving 7 CoV departements and 6 weeks for a no

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
What're the consequences of illegally removing the tree? My cousin did that a few years back lol. Axed 2 massive trees over a weekend in the front and back yard.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #16
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
i think the fine is like up to 10k, but you may also be in trouble with your neighbours as well. you'd probably have debris landing all over the place and everyone would hate you after that, especially if they find out you did it illegally. also the contractors would be blocking the alley for a few hours. also if someone reported you while the job was going on, then the contractors might run off and you'd have a very obviously illegally, half cut down tree in your backyard as your trophy of shame.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/another-tree-i...rrey-1.4491640
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
10k fine is probably worth the difference in building the laneway lol
Old 03-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hire an arborist, they will provide a report on whether the tree should be removed or not. Provide the proposed development site plan so that the Arborist can assess if the tree will be at risk due to the adjacent hardscape or building.

If the arborist deems the tree as healthy and worth saving, and you continue to proceed with the development permit, then most likely the City will set a covenant on title to ensure the tree is maintained.

On the other hand, if the arborist deems the tree should be removed, then the City will mostly require security to ensure trees are replanted (usually 1:2 ratio) or use the money to plant new off-site trees.

Last edited by cafe22; 03-02-2021 at 01:38 PM.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote