REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #76
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
104 ‘potential graves’ detected at site of former residential school in Manitoba

https://www.abbynews.com/news/104-po...l-in-manitoba/

Quote:
The Sioux Valley Dakota Nation in Manitoba is working to find students buried at Brandon Indian Residential School, which was in operation from 1895 to 1972.

Simon Fraser University and University of Windsor researchers, along with the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation, hope to identify an unknown number of children to restore their identities – either through commemoration or repatriation.

“The families and communities whose children were lost while attending these schools have questions that deserve answers,” said Sioux Valley Chief Jennifer Bone in a video statement June 1.

“The children buried at these sites must have their identities restored, and their stories told. They will never be forgotten, every child matters.”

Investigations into the cemeteries and unmarked graves at the school began in 2012. A number of potential graves have so far been identified.
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2021, 07:07 AM   #77
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Hundreds of unmarked graves discovered in Saskatchewan

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...hool-1.6078375

The chief of the Cowessess First Nation in southeast Saskatchewan is set to announce the discovery of a large number of remains at a former residential school site.

Wednesday's release did not have a specific number of unmarked graves that have been found, but said the discovery "will be the most significantly substantial to date in Canada."
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #78
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
I wonder how many thousands of children the number will reach when this is all done.
You know what a good step to reconciliation would be? Maybe some clean drinking water on reserves JT. If we can afford 100 billion dollars in economic stimulus I think we can afford to do that? Would go a lot further than saying oh sorry and changing our FB profiles to a every child matters border around our pictures. Hell, maybe make the Catholic Church pay for some of it?
Also, I just saw a story that it’s the remains of 751 children in Saskatchewan.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #79
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i was reading a manitoba one with unmarked graves was ran by Methodists

these nonsecular institutions have blood on their hands but feds created the program and and kept supporting it, ultimately ottawa is criminally responsible
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #80

Agreed. I think that everyone involved should have to contribute to the reconciliation however.
It’s crazy to think of the collateral damage this caused all throughout Canada today, like the addictions issues, the homeless population, huge portions of the mental health crisis, and the ignorance of the government to these issues that plagues Canada to this day. This will take generations to repair, if they even bother to take measurable steps to do it starting now, instead of just lip service.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #81
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,691 Posts
I am sick to my stomach after reading a news article about the hundreds of unmarked graves at that former residential school is Saskatchewan.

I think that this is one of most disgusting and disrespectful things to do to an deceased person. Let people rest in peace!

Chief Delorme said they believe both adults and children were buried at the site.

The graves are unmarked but Chief Delorme said they believe there may have been marks on the graves or headstones prior to 1960, but said the Catholic Church representatives, who oversaw the site, removed them.

“Removing headstones is a crime in this country and we are treating this like a crime scene at this moment,” said Chief Delorme.

There needs to be more pressure on the Catholic church, on Pope Francis, to issue a formal apology for these atrocities. Step up Pope!
Old 06-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #82

Time to change the title of this thread ... unless you want to start a new one everytime ... and there will be more!

Clean drinking water, livable houses, schools, healthcare ... least Canada can do.

There are other stories that whoever owned the land where the graves were located sold the property and now it's an RV park!

I don't know what the Indigenous Elders will decide but there is a part of me that exhuming the graves to find cause of death is kind of pointless, it disturbs the graves, and seems even more traumatic. But whatever they decide and think best.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #83

Lol @the pope stepping up. The Catholic Church has operated with impunity and it will continue as long as people consider any criticism of the Catholic Church as an organization to be an attack on their religion.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #84
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
^^ good luck, aren't they like the richest organisation on earth? What population of the voters are native Vs church goers?
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #85
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
all this research and reviving the history is great... recognizing past mistakes

If we are repeating the same mistakes now, shame on us as Canadians.

But there is a limit to reconciliation. changing school names, abstaining from celebrating Canada day... might as well start digging up Vancouver as it seems the whole city was a graveyard to the natives at some point in time?

Just recognize and move on, don't repeat the same mistakes.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #86

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Saskatchewan without a doubt has the most indigenous people so it's not surprising to me at all that they will have the largest burial sites if the same shit was going on at all residential schools which is what was happening by the sounds of it.

Saskatchewan I believe still to this date, half the public schools are Catholic. When I left there in the late 80's most public school were Catholic so the Churches have their hands all over that place. It's weird thinking back how backwards that school system was, teachers would hit you if you acted out. I got punched in the head by teachers and had my head smashed together with other kids many times from the age of 6 on, I never got it but they also used the strap which was essentially getting whipped with a belt. It's still nothing compared to the shit they did to those kids at the residential schools.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 06-24-2021 at 09:12 AM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #87
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
all this research and reviving the history is great... recognizing past mistakes

If we are repeating the same mistakes now, shame on us as Canadians.

But there is a limit to reconciliation. changing school names, abstaining from celebrating Canada day... might as well start digging up Vancouver as it seems the whole city was a graveyard to the natives at some point in time?

Just recognize and move on, don't repeat the same mistakes.
How does one move on without reconciliation?

Imagine someone from the government went and kidnapped your kids and then left them without basic necessities and they died. Buried them without your knowledge and then only decades later you find out about it.

Would you be good that the same government just saying "yeah, it happened, we recognize it, let's just move on since the past is the past"?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #88

While residential schools specifically are in the past, the poor treatment of indigenous people certainly is very much current.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #89
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I wonder how many thousands of children the number will reach when this is all done.
~4500 if I had to venture a guess.

That's not a number fetched out of thin air either, I'm sure someone can find the news stories, but years ago the government admitted that some 4500+ children died in the hands of the residential schools. These graves that are being found are remnants of those deaths.

Which is why I find it bizarre that people are shocked by this, the government already admitted that these children died, in their own documents. I guess you could be ignorant to what they did with the bodies, I personally am not surprised at all, the children were snatched out of their homes, and moved far away from where they lived, when they died whoever was in charge just buried them out back. Its disgusting that someone would think its okay, but unsurprising given all the other atrocities these same people were comiting.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #90

^ I heard an interview with an Indigenous leader this morning, he projected the numbers of unmarked graves of children could be in the 20,000 range.

But all projections.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #91
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You know what a good step to reconciliation would be? Maybe some clean drinking water on reserves JT. If we can afford 100 billion dollars in economic stimulus I think we can afford to do that?
I'm not familiar with all the details like if there's some reason the gov't isn't technically responsible for it, but either way it'd be a good thing to do and something that should've been done ages ago. It seems like the best time to be doing it too, isn't throwing money into public works like infrastructure a common tactic when a lot of people are struggling to find work?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 06-24-2021 at 10:17 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #92

From what I’ve read, it has to do with the government being unable to agree to the costs laid out by some companies.
Contractor says it will cost X
Government says it should cost Y and they won’t move forward with it due to that.
But we can spend 12.6 billion on an oil pipeline. I understand one is infrastructure for economic gains and one won’t provide that, but we are talking about basic human rights not being met in a first world country.
Edit, after a quick read, the government actually has made pretty significant progress on that issue, as it’s lifted over 100 advisories since 2017. There is approx 50 to go.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2021, 10:16 AM   #93

I know its sad with the unmarked graves but was it really the fault of the government? I mean life expectancy was much lower even 100 years ago, could it be some flu or disease that wiped out a bunch of people? Just look at Coronas now.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #94
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I know its sad with the unmarked graves but was it really the fault of the government? I mean life expectancy was much lower even 100 years ago, could it be some flu or disease that wiped out a bunch of people? Just look at Coronas now.
Can't tell if you're intentionally being dense and ignoring context or if you really just lack awareness.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #95
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
700+ in Saskatchewan residential school grounds...........

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/24/w...an-canada.html

The US are just as bad???

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/23/u...pgtype=Article

Wow, RS moves quickly. Went to take a piss before hitting send button and one page later...........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 06-24-2021 at 12:08 PM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #96
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Yes, lower life expectancies and viruses somehow personified and went around separating children from their parents and throwing them into a 'school' to try and beat the Indian out of them.

inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #97

^ I mean you can buy ppl about a hundred years ago with slavery, it was just a different times back then with European mentality. With the whole defeat and conquering of other countries. Just look at US Vs China, they won't let the inferior Chinese be #1 in anything.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #98
CRS

Quote:
^ I mean you can buy ppl about a hundred years ago with slavery, it was just a different times back then. With the whole defeat and conquer.
Bruh slavery still exists today.

Even if it doesn't, does it make it okay?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #99

So they say that they found unmarked graves not a mass grave. And some bodies of adults, so they might have just stumbled on an old cemetery
Old 06-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #100
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
It's going to be a loooooooong summer of graves and guilt in the news
68style is offline   Reply With Quote