REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Windows 11 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/717411-windows-11-a.html)

bcrdukes 11-11-2021 02:21 PM

Windows 11

Hi RS'ers,

Hope everyone is doing well!

So, out of curiosity, has anyone given Windows 11 a spin yet? I'm curious about the switch from Windows 10 to 11, but not sure I'm ready for it yet. :suspicious:

Any input and experience with it welcome. Thanks!

Razor Ramon HG 11-11-2021 02:25 PM

Been running it on my personal computer for over a month.

No real issues with an i9-10850K.

Feels pretty much the same as Windows 10.

I think there are still some scheduler issues with Ryzen CPUs, so I'd avoid it if that's what you're running.

BIC_BAWS 11-11-2021 02:45 PM

Currently using it on my work computer. I installed it when it became available. No bugs or issues.

Some functions that I'd normally use like "rename" is now hidden in a sub menu.

Snipping tool is now an app you need to download. I prefer old snipping tool, but it works.

It seems like the overall UI/UX is designed more with a touchscreen/tablet in mind than PC and more for newbs (similar to Apple). Even the design language for apps is apple-esque.

I have everything set up on the computer to have everything I need pinned to task bar or desktop, so I haven't needed to look in the start/app drawer yet.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Razor Ramon HG 11-11-2021 02:48 PM

Oh yeah, that reminds me.

The window now doesn't automatically show on top after snipping half the time. I have to manually alt-tab to it.

And the new context menu sucks.

More gripes than issues that BIC_BAWS reminded me.

SkinnyPupp 11-11-2021 02:49 PM

Haven't had a reason to yet. If I find out that performance is significantly increased in some way, I'll consider it.

I used to be the type that uses beta and even pre-beta Windows, going all the way back to Windows 95, but not anymore :fuckthatshit:

ilovebacon 11-11-2021 04:21 PM

I like the interface, however, I heard people encountering bugs. I'll probably wait until 2022 before updating.

underscore 11-11-2021 10:10 PM

What's the benefit supposed to be?

BIC_BAWS 11-18-2021 07:35 AM

I found a bug. FFS. I have no colour printing option on Windows 11 on any of my printers. You can only access colour options via Printer Properties, and it's only Greyscale or Monochrome. The button where it normally is in the Chrome Printer window is no longer there.

Universal print = one driver for all printers = no optimization

Fuck Microsoft IPP Class Driver.

LOL

Vansterdam 11-18-2021 03:11 PM

Zedbra 11-18-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS (Post 9044326)
Snipping tool is now an app you need to download. I prefer old snipping tool, but it works.

There is a built-in Snipping Tool for screen shot stuff, if that's what you mean. At the same time: Windows key, Shift, S. You get to snip either a box shape toy your sizing, a free hand snip, or a complete screenshot. You can then Ctrl+V and it pastes into whatever you are working on. I use it multiple times through the day to show items through Teams.

bcrdukes 11-19-2021 05:23 AM

Hmm joke's on me. For some reason I can't update my Surface to Windows 11 and it's likely because I have it it tied to my company's IT admin policy. The PC health check tool shows my device meets the requirements but it's not showing up as an option to download it via Windows Update.

bcrdukes 01-23-2022 12:36 PM

Friendly 2022 bump.

I was eligible for the Windows 11 upgrade and download and installed it on my Surface Pro 6 today. Will update on any odd bugs and experiences in a few weeks or so.

bcrdukes 01-25-2022 01:58 PM

So two day follow up:

So far so good. No real complaints. My only beef is I can't ungroup the task bar and I really liked that option because I often have to transition to other apps/screens regularly.