REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Certified used vehicle warranty (https://www.revscene.net/forums/717466-certified-used-vehicle-warranty.html)

stewie 02-06-2022 11:30 AM

Certified used vehicle warranty

Stupid question - I've never actually owned a vehicle that came with a warranty until I bought a civic that has a certified used vehicle warranty on it.
I've no clue what this covers but I do know I'll be needing an oil change quite soon. This something that has to be done at the dealership or if i do it myself void the warranty?

SSM_DC5 02-06-2022 11:54 AM

Gotta read the fine print.

mb_ 02-06-2022 12:17 PM

If you don't do servicing at Honda dealership then you'll have to keep records. It's harder to do if you DIY but keep the parts invoice receipts. It won't void your warranty but if there was anything to happen to the car that they require service records of and the supporting documents you have aren't sufficient then that's where your warranty will be denied.

An example would be your drive the car 30k km, engine blows up, they require service records but you don't have the appropriate documentation then it's less likely you'll have warranty cover the repairs.

The fine print varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but the gist of it are the same.

GIZZ 02-06-2022 02:34 PM

I'd pay for the oil changes while you're still under the warranty, just in case you have an issue.

The manufacturers certified warranty is typically just powertrain. Like wheel bearings, crankshaft, engine oil seal leaks, the expensive stuff, but also stuff unlikely to fail. Powertrain warranty doesn't cover stuff like power windows, almost everything electrical, trim, engine sensors. Like they said, check the fine print.

What year civic did you buy? Where did you get it?

stewie 02-06-2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIZZ (Post 9053528)
I'd pay for the oil changes while you're still under the warranty, just in case you have an issue.

The manufacturers certified warranty is typically just powertrain. Like wheel bearings, crankshaft, engine oil seal leaks, the expensive stuff, but also stuff unlikely to fail. Powertrain warranty doesn't cover stuff like power windows, almost everything electrical, trim, engine sensors. Like they said, check the fine print.

What year civic did you buy? Where did you get it?

2018, Westwood Honda. Warranty until 2025 I believe it said, 84 months. Has roughly 60k. As expected the fine print is vague.
If it has to be done at their shop specifically then its a hassle going from langley to port moody just for an oil change each time.

GIZZ 02-06-2022 03:34 PM

That doesn't sound like Hondaplus Powertrain having to go back to Westwood.

If it's the turbo 1.5 you definitely want to keep that warranty going. I see bad GDI related issues in the 1.5's future. 2.0, not so much. For either engine, don't park near bushes, dirt, or granville island, rats like to get up on the engine and chew wiring. So common.

donk. 02-06-2022 04:06 PM

whitev70r 02-06-2022 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 9053535)
2018, Westwood Honda. Warranty until 2025 I believe it said, 84 months. Has roughly 60k. As expected the fine print is vague.
If it has to be done at their shop specifically then its a hassle going from langley to port moody just for an oil change each time.

Surely, if oil change was required to be done at dealer in order for warranty to be effective, the closest Honda dealer in Langley should meet that requirement. No need to go to Port Moody, I would think.

Unless you like Rocky Point Park, Brewery district, Pajo's, Gabi and Jules ...

BIC_BAWS 02-07-2022 08:50 AM

Do you know if it's Honda Plus warranty or SecureDrive warranty? Fine print is different. I have both (for diff applications) on my new-to-me 2018 Honda Civic as well.

stewie 02-07-2022 11:38 AM

They were opened this morning so I just gave them a call as it would be easier - they were closed on Sundays which is naturally when I would want to find something out. Was hoping to figure it out yesterday since I was at my parents house where I could've done it while it was nice out. Can't do any sort of work at my building's garage. Got bounced around from a few people and went on hold a couple times but in the end the guy said as long as I use the proper oil and document everything and keep receipts and at what km I changed the oil, it's fine. I know what I'll be doing next weekend when I get back to their house.