REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 03-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Civic trunk issue

2018 civic lx

I've now had it a couple of times where I get to my car in the morning and start the car and up pops the "trunk open" warning on the dashboard. Sure enough, the trunk is unlatched! I park in my buildings locked garage and there's 0 signs of forced entry on it. Latch seems to work fine and wont release after I've shut it. There's not a snowballs chance in hell that I would have pressed the trunk open button on the fob because the way it's held in my hand while walking makes it impossible to reach. I'd also have to press it fully in and hold it for about 2 seconds for it to work and it's not an issue with other keys pressing it in as I keep my car key/fob on its own.

Did reading online and found it seems to be a problem that others are experiencing as well where the trunk will just unlatch itself in the middle of the night on it's own. Just like them, I called the dealership and they said they'd have to be able to replicate the problem.. which will be hard since it only happens once within maybe a 2 month span before it'll do it again.

Is there any thoughts as to what could be the root of the problem? I can't seem to find a general answer which is frustrating because my trunk is useless now. People have swapped the latch - temporary fix before it did it again. Replaced a body control module which again works but only for so long before it goes back to its old ways. The only solution I COULD think of which is not the most ideal is to completely disconnect the trunk so it can only be opened with a key.
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I took a look at the wiring diagram for the trunk release on your model.
Only things in the circuit are the BCM, drivers side fuse/relay box, truck lid opener switch and drivers master window switch. no service bulletins at the moment for this issue.
BCM would honestly be where I would look first considering how you describe the issue.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Check this thread; I remembered seeing this when I had my Civic.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads...m-sounds.1053/

Could be a wire shorting in the harness, or just some sand stuck near the release that's not allowing the release button to 'pop up' freely.

Edit: Do you have anything in the trunk interfering with the emergency release cable inside the trunk? Or check that it's installed properly and there isn't a weird tension on it?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2022, 02:50 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Check this thread; I remembered seeing this when I had my Civic.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads...m-sounds.1053/

Could be a wire shorting in the harness, or just some sand stuck near the release that's not allowing the release button to 'pop up' freely.

Edit: Do you have anything in the trunk interfering with the emergency release cable inside the trunk? Or check that it's installed properly and there isn't a weird tension on it?
That was one of the first threads I had read. None of those other possibilities would be the culprit. I keep nothing in my car other than insurance papers and an umbrella. Its seems that the BCM may be the front runner. There was a recall on 10th gen accords for this problem.. Nothing for 10th gen civics though. 😔

The mechanic I'd always go to ended up closing down due to rent increases on the building his shop was at. Time to start hunting for a new ethical mechanic.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote