REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-25-2022, 12:00 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Turkey

who's been?

going on Aug 20th for a couple weeks.

family has booked a 7days liveaboard cruise along the cost. Plan on hitting up Cappadocia and a few of the other major locations before hand.

Any must see or do's in Istanbul or the rest of the country?
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 02:05 PM   #2
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
Went in 2011, things could be drastically different now but I really enjoyed my time there. It's a beautiful country and the people are super friendly. Food is tasty but can be a bit monotonous at times since it seems like only Turkish food is available anywhere. Transportation is easy and cheap. Accommodations good quality and cheap

Istanbul is amazing. Truly one of the great cities of the world. 4 days minimum

Hit up the Black Sea coast - especially a town called Amasra. Talked to a local guy on a bus and he told me we just had to go there. It's a bit off the beaten track for foreign tourists but it's absolutely gorgeous and one of our favorite places.

Ankara is interesting for maybe a day or so to see Ataturk's tomb but it's a good stopover point to break up your trip to Cappadoccia

Cappadoccia - lots of stuff to hike thru, balloon rides (didn't do), also very touristy.

Med Coast - Rented a car and drove from Antalya to Kusadasi. Lots of cool beach towns along the way peppered with Greco-Roman ruins. Don't miss Ephesus, which is the largest Roman city in Turkey. Take a sail boat ride along the coast to see more partially sunken ruins and caves.

Also Pamukkale is pretty cool - you can swim amongst ruins and the salt travertines.

And that's just on the Western side of the country. If I remember anything else I'll add more. Man I gotta go back and check out the Eastern half of the country!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:49 PM   #3
in the butt

Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,171 Posts
Cappadocia is the only reason I want to go there, add some crazy pics to my collention

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:27 AM   #4
linguistic ninja

Not sure what your photo collection consists of but if you break it down, it's really just a lot of dick shaped rocks.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Went in 2011, things could be drastically different now but I really enjoyed my time there. It's a beautiful country and the people are super friendly. Food is tasty but can be a bit monotonous at times since it seems like only Turkish food is available anywhere. Transportation is easy and cheap. Accommodations good quality and cheap

Istanbul is amazing. Truly one of the great cities of the world. 4 days minimum

Hit up the Black Sea coast - especially a town called Amasra. Talked to a local guy on a bus and he told me we just had to go there. It's a bit off the beaten track for foreign tourists but it's absolutely gorgeous and one of our favorite places.

Ankara is interesting for maybe a day or so to see Ataturk's tomb but it's a good stopover point to break up your trip to Cappadoccia

Cappadoccia - lots of stuff to hike thru, balloon rides (didn't do), also very touristy.

Med Coast - Rented a car and drove from Antalya to Kusadasi. Lots of cool beach towns along the way peppered with Greco-Roman ruins. Don't miss Ephesus, which is the largest Roman city in Turkey. Take a sail boat ride along the coast to see more partially sunken ruins and caves.

Also Pamukkale is pretty cool - you can swim amongst ruins and the salt travertines.

And that's just on the Western side of the country. If I remember anything else I'll add more. Man I gotta go back and check out the Eastern half of the country!
sweet thanks.

we're in istanbul for a couple days on each end of the trip. the main reason we're going is for the 7 day cruise so going to see a good amount of the west coast. been watching some travel videos on youtube and getting pretty excited
Old 08-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Any special visas or applications required to enter Turkey?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #7
linguistic ninja

Visa on arrival for Canadians when I went.

Looks like an e-visa now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_r...adian_citizens

Old 08-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #8

yup we did that a while ago, was approved instantly
Old 08-03-2022, 11:36 AM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
That's good to hear.

I had to apply for a visa for China and India and both were not a fun experience.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
linguistic ninja

Russia (pre-war obvs.) was the worst in terms of nitpickiness but I paid a visa agency to do it for me so it was painless for me since they walked me through it

Worst was Brazil, they ask for bank account balances, employment verification. None of it is really needed they just want to stick t to Canadians since we do that to their citizens who want to come here

Old 09-08-2022, 03:51 AM   #11

just got home...pretty cool country.

istanbul is an crazy city.

Cappadocia was amazing, the hot air ballon ride was unreal

Pamukkale was meh

the week on the water was amazing crusing up and down the coast. stopped at knidos, pretty cool ruins

Ephesus was really cool

lots more
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2022, 07:26 AM   #12
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
^ friend just returned about a week ago and he said, no matter how many 4K travel videos you watch on Youtube of this part of the world ... he was still in awe when he saw it in person !!! So much history and culture.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:09 AM   #13

ya the mosques and palaces in istanbul where underal.

the dolmabahçe palace was really cool, unfortunately they don't allow pictures (although lots of people still were) there main hall/room was unreal, one of the single coolest rooms i've even been in and i've travelled alot.

the balloon ride was fucking magic. i was worried were were leaving later (other balloons up and gone) but we were timed just right to have a ton of balloons ahead (great for photos) and with the sun coming up and balloons behind. ssooo cool.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:10 AM   #14

https://move2turkey.com/dolmabahce-p...s-and-sultans/

3rd photo down. doesn't even remotely do it justice
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2022, 01:31 PM   #15
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
Pamukkale was meh
I will fight you on this opinion!

Might be because when I was there it was full of Eastern European chicks in thong bikinis

Old 09-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #16

lol ya only one or two decent chicks when i was there.

also there wasn't a ton of water running over the pools etc

i could see with more water it being FAR more impressive.

too bad they've controlled the water but that's long done.