REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-05-2024, 04:04 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
Chicago recommendations, hit me up!

Edit: Post-trip update posted below https://www.revscene.net/forums/7178...ml#post9130326

I had vacation days to use up for work, and was getting antsy to travel. Wife just started a new job and so didn't have vacation days yet.

Just booked 5 nights in Chicago in like 2 weeks to go solo, with a reservation to Alinea.

Besides that, any suggestions of things to do and places to eat?

So far I have:
- architectural river tour
- place to get Italian beef
- place to get deep dish
- Girl and the Goat

Any ideas let me know!
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 03-26-2024 at 09:43 AM.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:23 AM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Chicago was really cold, it's really the windy city for a reason.

Deep dish is famous decent, it is a serious 35 min wait so please be prepared. Giordano's is always the # 1 go to. You have to beware, because if you're expecting deep dish because Giordano’s actually serves stuffed pizza. Do your research.

there's a lot o walking.. the bean, the "married with children" fountain, garrett popcorn is everywhere so you're good for snacks.

you already booked Alinea which is good; definitely go try a few speakeasy in chicago; easy google would pull up 10-20.

Get cheap tickets to check out the Wrigley / cubs since it's still going on.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2024, 08:58 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Not spectacular or a must do, but I don't mind Portillo's for a fun Chicago snack. I do like their fries fresh and hot.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2024, 09:08 AM   #4
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,233 Posts
Was going to suggest going up to the bar at the top of John Hancock Center for views, but looks like they closed back in Sept 2023.

Other than that, Walk up and down the Mag Mile. Go up Sears (now Willis) tower. Check out the Art Institute of Chicago, one of the great American art museums, if that's your thing. Ride the L train around the Loop, it's like the Skytrain but a lot slower and weaves in between downtown skyscrapers.

Can't in good conscious recommend any food spots, as it's been ages since I've visited but if you watched The Beef, it's apparently based on a real restaurant in the North side.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:40 AM   #5

So just got back from the trip, and it was awesome. What a beautifully designed city with amazing food.

The architecture (especially after going on the very good river tour) is truly fantastic (and really shows how generic cookie cutter boring Vancouver is). The outdoor spaces in the downtown areas are so well designed and everything is so walkable. Millennium Park is very nice and probably beautiful in the summer.

I was admittedly a bit nervous before going, in terms of how 'rough' the city is. Tbh it's not that bad. The worst you get are some homeless and alcoholics that mostly leave you alone or ask for change. Not the type of unpredictable or aggressive druggies that you can come across in Vancouver in certain parts.

Did many of the sights suggested here, River Tour, Art Institute, Willis Tower, Mag Mile, Architecture Center, L Train Ride, etc. All really solid.

I would definitely visit again with my wife or even as a buddies trip. Full pic dump here: https://imgur.com/a/BEdLs39

If curious about food and drink that pic dump is here: https://imgur.com/a/6bicvpy

Some highlight pics in the spoiler:

Spoiler!
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:41 AM   #6
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Giardano's Pizza
Willis Tower

edit: Thought u were still looking for Rec's

I loved Chicago as well, the city is really beautiful, the architecture is amazing, and I love the design of the city as well. Did you walk the canals?
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Giardano's Pizza
Willis Tower

edit: Thought u were still looking for Rec's

I loved Chicago as well, the city is really beautiful, the architecture is amazing, and I love the design of the city as well. Did you walk the canals?
Haha I went to Giordano's on my last night for dinner near the airport hotel coz the airport bar was closed. Did not plan on it but it was really good.

Yes the River Walk is fantastic, such a well-designed public space. It's crazy you can walk from the river to Navy Pier to the Lakeview trail to millennium park pretty much without having to cross any streets. Great civic engineering.

It's also amazing how clean it was. There are so many underpasses and under-ground paths that if it were in a place like Vancouver or San Francisco would be absolutely littered in garbage or tent cities.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 03-31-2024, 08:39 AM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Sonick - Which hotel/area did you stay at?

Wife and I are looking to do some road tripping and Chicago has been on our map for a while. I did a quick Google search and realized hotels in Downtown Chicago are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 09:29 AM   #9

River North, Royal Sonesta. Was fine, pretty barebones rooms.

From my research Citizen M seems to be an affordable no frills but comfortable place in The Loop. But I felt staying in River North was the right call for night life.

My Amex had the Fairmont Millennium Park for 30% off however I felt that area was a bit less central to the main entertainment areas.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold