REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 12-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,483 Times in 5,718 Posts
Espresso Machines

Anyone in the know when it comes to espresso machines? We have been looking for a while but now with boxing day coming up there are some deals to be had seemingly.

A lot of people seem to tow the line of the grinder being the most important component of your system, whether its a stand alone grinder or built in.

Our price range is arouind $600, which seemingly doesnt get you an super automatic, let alone an automatic.

One that seems to be popping up quite a bit is the Breville 870S:

https://breville.ca/products/barista...nt=38678268931

Has the built in grinder, multi adjustment, double shot setting, etc. looks like you should be able to get it for under $500 around boxing day, or really any time at 499 from amazon
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

Saeco, hands down. Everyone in my family has one, some for years, and no one has ever had any problems, not even a hiccup. Just keep up with weekly/monthly cleaning.
A-Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
what made you want to get an espresso machine? it is a serious/honest question. it is for the sake of being able to make it at home, or do you want to 'save money'?

if you are looking to make milk based drinks, i would honestly say, to save your 500-600 dollars and just go out to a local cafe for it. Most of the steamers in a single boiler machine are weak and will give you very airy foam.

What type of taste do you prefer? do you like starbucks or do you prefer 49th parallel/prado approach to making espressos?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #4

Here is a setup worth looking into if you want espresso only.

grinder - https://kinugrinders.com/index.php?p...&Id_Product=16

espresso maker - https://www.amazon.ca/Flair-Espresso.../dp/B06X916JM8 (you can find it cheaper in the states if you are willing to pick it up cross boarder).

Yes. it is all manual operation, but unless you are making 3-4 shots at a time, it's honestly not too much work. The Kinu grinder can be adjusted to make either french press/pour over or espresso grounds. The Flair Espresso maker functions well, has no electrical parts and is easy to operate.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,761 Times in 4,403 Posts
Don't kid yourself, you amateurs.

You need this.
https://www.espressotec.com/la-marzo...-machine-8206/
Old 12-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Don't kid yourself, you amateurs.

You need this.
https://www.espressotec.com/la-marzo...-machine-8206/
https://www.espressotec.com/la-marzo...c-mini-b-2679/

this is a better deal
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
RS Veteran

There we go. Now we're talking.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Unless you are always out drinking 3rd wave, I would seriously just get a good nespresso and you will probably be happy. Making your own sucks.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #9

+1. i think 90% of the buyers of entry level machines love the novelty of it, but after a few months the machine usually are shoved to the side of the kitchen counter.

I believe the Bay is offering a deal with nespresso machines right now, with $100 coupon for its capsules.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
I purchased a Krups EA8105 a few months ago and absolutely love it.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,875 Times in 1,496 Posts
I'm no Barrista, but a friend purchased a $900 grinder, and a $2000 semi-auto machine. We spent many pounds of coffee playing with that thing for the most perfect cup possible. It was fun. True science.

After all that, we did a blind taste test of an Americano using the machine and then a cup using an aeropress. He preferred the aeropress. He soon sold the machine.

On that note, nothing beats the looks of a well made espresso with some beautiful creme. But unless your palette is that particular. Any decent machine will work. But I second buying a Nespresso which uses the new bigger cartridges.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
what made you want to get an espresso machine? it is a serious/honest question. it is for the sake of being able to make it at home, or do you want to 'save money'?

if you are looking to make milk based drinks, i would honestly say, to save your 500-600 dollars and just go out to a local cafe for it. Most of the steamers in a single boiler machine are weak and will give you very airy foam.

What type of taste do you prefer? do you like starbucks or do you prefer 49th parallel/prado approach to making espressos?
I love drinking espesso straight, my 95% of the time go to when I’m out and about is an americano, iced or hot.

We only drink good coffee at home and cycle through many different beans on a monthly basis, 49th parallel, Milano, etc but currently only make drip coffee with a pretty decent machine and grinder

The wife drinks cappuccinos and lattes but really only on the weekend as their company has a rediculously fancy machine in the office where she makes coffee during the week.

In some ways I’m eyeing machines up as a hobby, I like tinkering around with settings and different grinds etc trying to lead up to that perfect cup. I’ve never had a machine before but I like shit like that. It would kind of be a novelty but it would probably also be something I’d used every day.

An aero press I’m not going to use every day, I’m not a morning person and I don’t have the time for it.

To me the nespresso is bullshit just like most automated coffee makers the like, it’s -never- strong enough. I tried nespresso quite a bit long before it ever made the scene in North America while we were in Europe I considered it weak then and I find the North American adaptation to be even more so.

I waste money on shit all the time, but I really can’t justify spending that $1000+ on a machine quite yet, especially when I don’t really know if that’s what I want or not. At least at the price point of the Breville etc I could always just buy a better grinder then slowly upgrade my machine if I wanted
Old 12-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,875 Times in 1,496 Posts
I have the old school Nespresso. No comparison to the new one. I'm a snob and a half, and I like them. My nespresso sits on the counter only for guests who want some easier frothed milk, other then that it just sits.

I know what you mean about tinkering with it though. It's something i'd like to do on a Saturday morning. The thing is, to make the perfect brew it takes many test runs every day dependant on humidity etc. The bean changes day to day as well. You need such fine minuscule adjustment to do it properly. Something that revile won't be able to do. You can get it in the ballpark consistently, but it won't be perfect.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 12-21-2017 at 06:54 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #14

As I said in the Boxing Day thread, ended up buying the 870XL from bestbuy after they “price beat” amazons price of 499, so came to 473 + tax

Pulled about 20 shots so far, all doubles, very impressed with this machine. Imo the espresso I can make with this machine is on par if not better than the coffee shops I frequent, especially when the lesser employees are manning the machines at my go to.

As a reference yesterday morning I went to JJ bean on Powell to buy more beans and as part of the pound of beans you get a free coffee. Got a shot of espresso as my freebie. Went home and made the same espresso and found my own to be smoother and deeper flavors with less acidity.

This is completely different and better experience than nespresso would have ever been and I’m completely satisfied with the machine thus far. Great starting point and price for entry into the game, would recommend it to anyone.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Don't listen to Hondaracer. He's bluffing. You guys all need at least the La Marcozzo Linea single-group. Fuck this noise.

Spoiler!
Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #16

Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,192 Posts
I sold my Baratza Precizo+ECM Synchronika back in the summer and picked an 870XL during boxing day too.

Seriously... the ECM was an amazing machine. It pulls an EXCELLENT espresso with dreamy creme and all... not to mention it looks like a piece of art on any countertop and more hipster than bcrdukes can ever handle on an espresso machine. Nevertheless, it comes down to sharing that unit with my family...

My wife can't seem to wrap her head around the set and just ask me to do it for her every time. So are my parents who are in town once every week or two.

We got the 870 yesterday, and my wife was already able to make espresso shot by herself this morning.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:51 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Wow, you suck. I am disappoint.

Pulling shots of espresso is a religious experience, and not to be shared!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #18

I think the breville's will do good job with espresso shots only, but you might see a drop in 'taste' if you need to do like 2-3 shots (maybe for a small gathering/party).

you might want to learn about temperature surfing to ensure you get the most power with your steam after you pull your shot. To briefly explain it, your single boiler tank holds both steam and water. But after a shot is pulled, the steam pressure drops significantly due to the changes inside the tank. A common trick is to turn on the steam all the way until you deplete the initial steam, wait for the steam switch to engage and just as the steam switch is about to turn off, start to steam again. This way, you have 'optimal' steam pressure for frothing milk.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I sold my Baratza Precizo+ECM Synchronika back in the summer and picked an 870XL during boxing day too.

Seriously... the ECM was an amazing machine. It pulls an EXCELLENT espresso with dreamy creme and all... not to mention it looks like a piece of art on any countertop and more hipster than bcrdukes can ever handle on an espresso machine. Nevertheless, it comes down to sharing that unit with my family...

My wife can't seem to wrap her head around the set and just ask me to do it for her every time. So are my parents who are in town once every week or two.

We got the 870 yesterday, and my wife was already able to make espresso shot by herself this morning.
So your previous setup there looks pretty crazy with a basic search and probably costs thousands of dollars..

What made it so your wife couldnt use it? With a machine like that how much adjustment do you need to make to pull a perfect shot? or does the machine do the thinking?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #20

3 months later couldn’t be happier with the Breville. Daily use pulling minimum 2 doubles a day. Taste is fantastic and adjustments are made super easy once you’re used to it. Tastes better than the vast majority of coffee shops I go to imo.

Plenty of local roasters around the hood so I’ve been making my rounds in terms of beans, so far my favorite is Moja in comercial, their espresso blend is mild but delicious
Old 03-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #21
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
3 months later couldn’t be happier with the Breville. Daily use pulling minimum 2 doubles a day. Taste is fantastic and adjustments are made super easy once you’re used to it. Tastes better than the vast majority of coffee shops I go to imo.

Plenty of local roasters around the hood so I’ve been making my rounds in terms of beans, so far my favorite is Moja in comercial, their espresso blend is mild but delicious
I've found Espresso JJ is a very safe, consistent choice. Bit of sugar and milk and it tastes like caramel coffee. Also had pretty good luck with Matchstick's Deri Kochoha (the filter version), though their beans tend to be a bit harder to grind.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #22

Quote:

if you want to try something unique for milk based coffees, Agro Coffee's espresso blend is quite a nice change from the other major espresso blends. and at 14 dollars a pound it is one of the more affordable places to buy
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #23

JJ beans blend is good and as said consistent.

I’ve tried the Agro blend twice now and don’t care for it, gave away half the pound this last time around. Way too acidic for my liking. Seems like anything that claims blueberry notes is almost always quite acidic
Old 04-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #24

Picked up a bag of Pallet roasters benchmark blend. Pretty tasty, wouldn’t say I like it more than the Moja but for a more acidic blend I like it way more than Agro’s.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
JJ beans blend is good and as said consistent.

I’ve tried the Agro blend twice now and don’t care for it, gave away half the pound this last time around. Way too acidic for my liking. Seems like anything that claims blueberry notes is almost always quite acidic
that might be a water temp/grind issue. I admit their espressos require more work to dial in but once it does, the flavour combined with good quality milk is amazing.
This post thanked by: